Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The reason I bought a Fleetwood, is because mechanically, it's a Chevy Caprice. If you can cross-reference the parts, you can save some scratch.
You beat me to the punch! I had a 71 240Z that was the same way. If you ordered Z parts, a fortune, but if you new which B210 parts fit, nice and cheap to maintain.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
It's certainly a way to skirt around the outrageous parts prices for high-end automobiles.
I knew a fellow in Florida in the early seventies who owned a Ferrari. Ignition points cost over ninety dollars, a pretty good chunk of change for the times. Fiat 128 points were identical and cost less then three dollars.

A friend with a Bentley often talks about the maintenance and repair bills. I almost keel over when I've heard the details. But yeah, if you gots the dough, it's not an issue - except all the rich folks are the cheapest ones lol

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
If you can afford a Ferrari then you can afford the points. :p
It was the Larry Perkins GTO that he purchased after Ferrari raced at Daytona and didn't want ship back to Europe the LM was going to soldier on with the factory colors from that point on. The US distributor would not sell him parts over a sponsorship dispute. It's my understanding that he had to mortgage his home to buy it I never ask him so. I knew him threw the local club races but not well enough to talk personal with him( I was raised to never ask such ?'s). He eventually sold it which is to bad as there sat a four wheeled retirement.

It was the Larry Perkins GTO that he purchased after Ferrari raced at Daytona and didn't want ship back to Europe the LM was going to soldier on with the factory colors from that point on. The US distributor would not sell him parts over a sponsorship dispute. It's my understanding that he had to mortgage his home to buy it I never ask him so. I knew him threw the local club races but not well enough to talk personal with him( I was raised to never ask such ?'s). He eventually sold it which is to bad as there sat a four wheeled retirement.

I am sure he didn't get peanuts for it. :p

Rathdown

Practically Family
I'm a Cord guy myself - if we're going that far back in time - Powers' college days lol
Interesting you'd bring up the Cord. I'm considering one of the Glen Pray Cord 8/10s as a replacement for my Chrysler Crossfire.

Something people often overlook why buying a Bentley or Rolls-Royce is that these cars were expensive to maintain when new, and the cost of keeping them on the road doesn't diminish with the passage of time. That said, there are two categories of Rolls-Royce/Bentley enthusiasts: Owners and Drivers. Owners tend to regard their cars in the same way they regard their diamond pinky ring; as a status symbol, a way of showing off they've got money (if not manners, good taste, and breeding) and they are the first to bitch about the cost of keeping the car on the road as a way of talking about how much money they've got. Drivers, on the other hand, are all about the experience of using the car as intended, and view the maintenance in the same way dedicated golfers view greens fees -- part of the cost of playing the game.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara