Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
By they way I had a 98 Lincoln Town Car, they are very dependable and service is not difficult, many parts interchange with Ford Crown Victoria and big Mercury. They are a favorite of livery and limousine operators who think nothing of running up 300,000 or 400,000 miles on the clock.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
What?! That makes no sense in regard to keyless entry.:confused:

The '18 Ford touring car that I've stored in the old carriage works has no key hole.

It has "Keyless entry", I guess. Nothing new about it.

As for junkyard key fobs, well, a fenc staple will do just fine on any pre-'21 Flivver if you don't have one of these:

1342198437-29878-9.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I like about them. I've had two Crown Vics and they were both fantastic. The 2000 is the only car I ever regret parting with. They do run forever, just gotta keep up on the maintenance.

By they way I had a 98 Lincoln Town Car, they are very dependable and service is not difficult, many parts interchange with Ford Crown Victoria and big Mercury. They are a favorite of livery and limousine operators who think nothing of running up 300,000 or 400,000 miles on the clock.

That's the problem I'm having with my Cadillac car right now. I need a new idler and pitman arm, and the pitman arm has been discontinued.

You'll enjoy that...until it breaks down and you try to fix it.

I have a Grand Marquis and an LTD right now, I'm no stranger to FoMoCo. They make a fine product, if you stick with the Panther Platform.

:eeek: And it is a Ford product with a Hippie Top. :eeek::eusa_doh:

That's a wee bit out of my price range.

You could get the 40 acre one with the log cabin house that I mentioned earlier. :p

I will keep that in mind! lol I keep my keys on a clasp, on my belt loop. I haven't lost them since 2002, knock on wood.

Whatever you do, don't drop the $250 key down a storm drain.

The '18 Ford touring car that I've stored in the old carriage works has no key hole.

It has "Keyless entry", I guess. Nothing new about it.

As for junkyard key fobs, well, a fenc staple will do just fine on any pre-'21 Flivver if you don't have one of these:

1342198437-29878-9.jpg

The difference is that back then you didn't need to lock anything. Now you would be crazy not to. lol lol

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The difference is that back then you didn't need to lock anything. Now you would be crazy not to. lol lol

Actually, the problem of auto theft was pretty serious back in the 'teens and 'twenties, most particularly the practice of "joyriding".

IN 1921 Ford installed an actual ignition lock, but one which was easily defeated. When the New Ford came out in 1928 one of its much-touted features was the "Electrolock", an ignition lock in an armored cable which physically grounded the ignition system and was nearly impossible to hot-wire.

We don't lock our cars, most of the time, and our house doors are only locked when we are away for long periods. The storage buildings, which contain a lot of nice old stuff are left unlocked from year-to-year. We've never had a problem. {KNOCKS WOOD

I think that you may be living in the wrong place, Mr. Powers!

Actually, the problem of auto theft was pretty serious back in the 'teens and 'twenties, most particularly the practice of "joyriding".

IN 1921 Ford installed an actual ignition lock, but one which was easily defeated. When the New Ford came out in 1928 one of its much-touted features was the "Electrolock", an ignition lock in an armored cable which physically grounded the ignition system and was nearly impossible to hot-wire.

We don't lock our cars, most of the time, and our house doors are only locked when we are away for long periods. The storage buildings, which contain a lot of nice old stuff are left unlocked from year-to-year. We've never had a problem. {KNOCKS WOOD

I think that you may be living in the wrong place, Mr. Powers!

You just live in an anomoly or in a state of denial. Seeing that your violent crime (298.6 versus 222.7) is above the national average and your city has the highest crime index (283.9 versus 63.6 for Reading) in your area, I would lock everything there too.
Of course car theft was high back then. There were so few cars that criminals and jyoriders had little to choose from. :p The other side of that is that nearly all car thefts back then ended in recovery of the car--usually in one piece. Now if your car is stolen forgetaboutit.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I keep my Toyota in such a state of mess inside that nobody'd bother to steal it. The punks rifle the glove compartment every few months looking for drugs, but they never do anything worse. Besides, who'd steal a fifteen year old Toyota anyway?

I don't worry about locking the Plodge -- they wouldn't be able to figure out how to start it even if they thought they could get away with stealing it. Given the brainpower of our local pot-addled criminal element I doubt they could even figure out how to work the door handles.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I agree Lizzie...unfortunately with my car (a Model A), they would sell her to a chop shop and either part her out or chop her up. Both thoughts make me cringe.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic