Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cheerlaeding

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I recently purchased a 1940s cream cheerleading sweater. I want to make an outfit surrounding the sweater. Today I am going looking for burgandy fabric for the skirt. I have seen two variations on the skirt, either paneled or pleated. Both examples are from the 1950s but, Im pretty sure the styles did'nt change that much. Now for the fun part! I need pom poms for this outfit! I know I am going to have to make them myself but thats ok with me. What materials were they made out of? How were they constructed? If anybody has any links, photos, etc etc can oyu post them for me? Thanks ladies!

Samantha

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
from http://rgwatts.tripod.com/spearit/history.html:

In the 1930s, universities and high schools alike began performing pom-pom routines and using paper poms, still the most widely recognized cheerleading prop. In the early 1940's, when men went to war, women not only went to work, but also on to the cheerleading squads. Cheerleading then became more of a female sport. When the men returned from war, new twists and turns were added. Gymnastics were always done by men, while the girls danced which gave rise to dance teams.

In 1948, Laurence "Hurkie" Hurkimer (founder of the spirit industry) organized the first cheerleader camp at Huntsville's Sam Houston University with just 52 girls in attendance. The first cheerleading organization, the National Cheerleading Association (NCA), was founded and Hurkimer created spirit slogans, ribbons, and buttons to raise spirit and money.

In the 1950s, college cheerleaders began conducting cheerleading workshops to teach fundamental cheerleading skills. The modern vinyl pom was invented by Fred Gastoff, around 1965, and introduced by the International Cheerleading Foundation (now the W.C.A.).

There are some 40s and 50s cheerleading photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukeyearlook/page2/. You'll find a lot more if you just Google "1940s cheerleaders"

I bet paper pompoms would be really easy to make and would definitely allow you to get your colors right.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Back then poms were made out of paper. Matter of fact even when I was in hish school the squads made their own poms.
So what you'll want to do is choose some large tissue paper and unfold it laying all the pieces on top of each other flat on a table.
Take a good pair of scissors and starting at the bottom long side cut strips all the way up the paper till you get about three inches from the top. STOP.
Keep in mind the thinner the strips the easier they will tear. Try to keep the strips even.
When you have all the paper cut re-align the top corners neatly and begin rolling from the short side so that the un-cut portion makes a rolled handle.
Then you can used colored duct tape or electrical tape to make the handles.
When your done you can either scrunch the paper to make them puffy or leave them long like shakers.
More paper makes fluffier pom and you can also alternate colors for say,red and white poms etc.

littlehalfpipe

New in Town
Hey everyone!
I'm super new here, but when I saw this thread I had to stop lurking. I am completely obsessed with vintage cheerleaders, they rock!

Last week, at the amazing thrift, I found a wool, pleated, plaid, high-waisted, hand sewn, cheerleader-ish styled skirt. I'm in love!

If you guys want to see it, I will totally post a photo. :)

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
retrogirl1941 said:
Thank you for the tutorial! I bought crepe paper streamers so I will tweak those to fit the task.

Samantha
That might even be better considering that it might be stronger than regular tissue paper.
Let me know how it works out.
littlehalfpipe said:
Hey everyone!
I'm super new here, but when I saw this thread I had to stop lurking. I am completely obsessed with vintage cheerleaders, they rock!

Last week, at the amazing thrift, I found a wool, pleated, plaid, high-waisted, hand sewn, cheerleader-ish styled skirt. I'm in love!

If you guys want to see it, I will totally post a photo.
Of course we want to see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21