Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage clothing store lowballing

Ledfeather

New in Town
so, im doing christmas and birthday shopping, and lucky me, i wind up looking for an old 'newsie' style hat for someone. and the store i go into, i start talking to the guy that does the buying and stuff. (im wearing a fifty year old stetson today, by the way, just as an aside and he says the most he would pay for a hat is fifteen bucks. fifteen bucks??? christ.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Inusuit said:
Which he would re-sell for $100?

Exactly, and properly so.

Reminds me of the "Pawn Stars" show I watched last night on TV. Multiple people brought items into this guy's retail pawn store and couldn't understand why he wasn't willing to buy their items for the highest amount it may sell for to the public.

:eusa_doh:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
And remember, retail vintage shops generally aren't being frequented by the same number of hat enthusiasts as would view an ebay auction. So chances that someone's going to come in willing to drop $300-$400 on a hat are much slimmer. The owner has to know his or her market and price accordingly if he or she wants to move any stock. And in the end it's all about making money. Buy low. Sell high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff