Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Deerskin Café Racer Motorcycle Jacket- Recent Score

technovox

One Too Many
I confess- after seeing Tmitchell’s wonderful post about his vintage deerskin jacket…and after spotting some very expensive custom deerskin jackets by RL, Real McCoy, Flathead and Himel, I’ve been more than curious about this hide. It looks like beautiful wearing leather, but there just doesn’t seem to be much info on it.

So I was intrigued when I spotted this vintage jacket a few days ago. Usually, one wouldn’t find the words “deerskin” and “motorcycle jacket” in the same sentence. But finding deerskin in a black color really sold me on it.

Upon opening the USPS box, I was pleasantly surprised. The jacket is amazingly supple, yet surprisingly thick- a bit thicker than my goatskin jacket. Zips on the chest pocket, hand warmer pockets, and the sleeves. Talon. Two side buckles- all brass hardware. Label says “Custom Jacket” “Berlin, Wisconsin,” Deerskin. (Berlin, Wisconsin, has a small population --approx. 6k. Apparently, deer hunting is one of the major pastimes there, so probably makes sense they would have small scale production in deerskin products there.) The deerskin finish is deep matte black, with a bit of pebbled texture like goat, but again thicker than goat.

All in all, the jacket is extremely comfortable... if you know how cold San Francisco summers can be, having a jacket like this is perfect. It fits well in the shoulders and chest, and the length is spot on. About the only drawback is that the sleeves could be a tad longer - typical with most vintage jackets. But I can’t complain since I didn’t pay much for it… just over $50.

Here are some pics…
DeerskinMain.jpg

DeerskinSleeve.jpg

DeerskinPocket.jpg

DeerskinBack.jpg

DeerskinLabel.jpg

DeerskinBuckle.jpg

Last edited:

singer

Familiar Face
Wow, that looks great and an excellent price. I would definitely wear that. Really like the simple design and brass zips. That deer grain looks great and the whole thing does look vintage, yet seems to have held up very well. Congrats!!!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Really nice! Neat to see more Deerskin coming up, and if you look at the Deer hide thread that Nick123 started, I also had (sold) a jacket from around the wame area of Wisconsin. I'll try to dig up a photo of it's tag, I think it may have been from the same company. Great score there! :)

technovox

One Too Many
looks beautiful! love those grains, is it more pronounced than similarly grainy cow/steer?
I'm finding deerskin is just a bit different in a couple of ways- it's more supple, more spongy, and doesn't really show wear or accumulate a patina like cow/steer. Perhaps a bit more grainy-or at least pebbly (depending on how the cow was finished.)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Yes, That is a nice one. It also confirms that my Deerskin MC jacket is indeed Deer. I was confused me because it is so heavy unlike most deerskin jackets. Mine has the same look. Supple, sorta soft, but very thick. Makes for a very comfortable wear.

I look at a lot of the Deerskin. The Heavier MC jackets don't come around as often, There are so many varieties.

I would have given the $50 for that. Nice buy.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
very neat trim fit on that one, looks great!! the sleeve is not really riding sleeve from the length, the oversize sleeve opening with zipper fully done and not really curved, maybe it is meant to be worn with shirt cuff showing on the bottom of the sleeve as a CR styled leather blazer.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I have to throw my McDondald up here. When I got this jacket I was confused. It looked like Deer, moved like Deer, but Heavy like a Horsehide Jacket. The pictures up above confirm that.
CCC3o_0V5VJRJKttru6fwCp6ijp2Jdu3qndWg6tD-iMCPabJTMyTeW9PGUFwHvpyfgPuJ969cIUu0p4fgES4V2Mi2urxeL3ajLpo5p8dm794NdAtmo1l0jRLNJiDqFblJUIJuijBR-UNFh3zt53CaQbQVyxiuWpPlKCwY2qwqq-Oh8DrsUoemXLg1B4KF2cyFggMzCcSxT7dy7jqgbjjVhpDE2MmTCl-LDXma-NPSBx0_IsoEPTGelbUvm4U2QX9GWYv3SswNpg7TMe04GP7w2slvfOs4xcxWsTW0KMu5CSr_jMDxUNNpaD2ESXpKiGLxyzol_Oh-6KgjL3W5GpunPm7SPygBARth54lD2lBu3f6cHEZW5_-FC2ytXiUp-5_xr3P4qbhaKWVZmEeaaeM6ecNUICDc9FRnd4-dmJK3QXVajRFc7vc0MRNDvRk-ktAoKMrHgva6o9TH190_Zg9nYx0Dhp_yGDQwCI3auArwPkuUSVvxq5p6elC1IhKBs9G-aH2xWnVZB8zfiTDtFLhnnDGr-HLjtTGQLQGukMmvvModOSqzPALn6dYw9z_X5iRoBIb5DlNW64iHehMS1xpfLCmBMpBjjR3=w979-h650-no

You don't often see Black DeerSkin, most are lighter colored or darker brown, seldom Black. You don't see these leather weights often. Most of the Customer made jackets have a standard look. Not sure what else to call it. I've got an Original Deerskin Catalog around here. I will put it up. I think there is still a trade in these Deerskin makers. Actually interesting how many there are around the Country. Be interesting to collect a piece with different label. Much of the stuff is very affordable

You don't see these weight and build in many Deerskins. I've never seen one like this with that label.
I just don't see the True MC jackets in Deer. Mine was a smallshop label, probably one man operation. I've got a couple of others from Washington State. I live in the Mid-West.

I've seen many, jackets out of Berlin, Wisconsin with Various labels. I've got a beautiful light beige vest with furry lining with this label. They made a lot

I think I bought this as unknown, unlabeled, but thought it was Deer. When I picked up the box I re-thought the leather. seemed way too Heavy.

TpeWl1GlGNvYKsDdAVfdG8Eo_GaxumTGVf8WQOeor3v3uTc79xDDad0utin5DL95CiL2fXWZ1gd7HmZPD6ywtrvhxJ__S3EughATG3B1fTxeLvobzL5MwSS7CHh_uVNqlBSVHKnUfB_iM6gBO1XssqFjTmazTTUQ92KElEY0rHdtgfEHDRkXSX2FSzT1974vrx92V9HY40-9dG_dAo94bEu_sS49lAlPk18LNwXERHGjMbJMBMfZ6acq_voF4O-JrqHgIWdkfuGccRvLKbhSvMfBP0BdLvs1keUGzjxs_kHGrzodcj3T_-vvsSXffX7Yr2hqqFoMYIYwZ94Vb0yEoFS8tYawz9GvG9_zdI-J0Krsy-C-DuoETNFaoFFA_3c2JJmffCQwLJVjqQhrKLlrge3rxhJImGMqdtnkwIbRc1nsIs9BYnT2M9qBTl99uSZV1U-QOslBohnbOpWyfoOSC9kMv7GdqUJzO7tu9gjIA9V0-k11OxnHHhz3wJntOgm0klglHsJAkhQrF0Kclgh0t6ZTms3ndOZW6uXlQ18SUa3r67Sy_fJkWtoFaQJNXRfm-5z4s0Nbr6kxQ59wVE2ILZV8k9le4rrr=w1367-h619-no

-e48cIlZj_5mhpPWIq_JD4vdjUDUsGyKNwLARSdSEEEcxUqrbpTAWlXFPrYQP9SK8EPZQAvcFpQ2TO-4HYUlWcbwp4BJCt50ck9edEoC6qxGgBUh_SjMkJY2hvRMNGzJdT2etbScTYjflIVFp2S5NGlY4LsTBdQ3KWOLkJXPyUe87u2GfmX8e5rZwMlYWkfXFCBwRbSAN1rfNK6YRcS_Ww7Fo1XYVOFBF6b6r7ZYzPMKxbgQEF-eiFIuHfRlu3yhMtsXZBzZ-1esqh3TlIC8uco9UjYRFHTRfZ1JsaJSSGHpDcXK9to3Q19FFDjB2rtfUpsmb1v9XgGI-dg-CsAZWjD6T8CMZFFlfSa-emOx4ed6EUTyONFBeXDV5bwmuNAFKUWnVxgqkuNlxMjNy8BTwoxq_-MGwcaBlIXMhgO-kPGZIbPdJ3ZlPSaucqd__nSvfQpVJL20biH_B6E_s1-46G9ne9AdEZD0msFzMWIngiyJPj6dYlo57N-RkKC-AnMHqWOmPWjUtapNzyt33wnl1ePNnWdC6au_jEUhdBlovMoARjiA73SYDxi329x5l0FqB-QjVrHrkmRZHObydQYj4i3hbaapvyOD=w908-h650-no

IBluV03nxKnupXv1XdiawZepNL0iP7Ou70EJw2zVTh1uoKLL_ETrrY86bcf0_H3gKPa2l-xZt6j49cX0Rj5MATbvxsNA8eoBf9QFuwCCj5wVGJkB7hD_MTre5HJHFacZwZvtryBI4Qp_c2wQt8lCsDwhdw7RvbZASsefJng2FFEPs6GgAcxat54eroX-4KDgc0iiNdzxVuaNiVABgwBQMaycroyQ0vQ8Jo7LIWrqxhDGo8h2iIQIVO92V7guNdEy9Wxl9cWE7flw6qalK_2jeShO0PE3jbQV6RTeFVfeA3Ga02UTdF_4au9PvQ3AiC5soCR5HfJlHa_efv_JyorG29ADq_Kmga4MSPy0ILEMn06xu3Kb5YY0TEcLXhdONaPuM4szn3tFnWQfnyIN4ZvmV8WStQgPXZRNqMV3_XhFW0Fw_d_-BqTRXYQjM1NO7aK6wP5iHNRJzebx2lcBBFhIUH7lDzj0hQIgHhKhLqjFgY4N_pjz4rAOyeQ34cRhD75qjJW9kGtDT2cH1kP58DSghynU22ff88uttq-sQxIiCTFw8SMEb2yv3qgfIPq18jLREj0hUH6pT0Y26Nd69yiuxGj53NFoCSJh=w1000-h650-no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff