Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage denim hunting in Spitalfields market

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Calling all vintage denim experts.
Need the lowdown on denim hunting in the market in Spitalfields

karhu21

One of the Regulars
OK!....right..So whats it like price wise compared to all these expensive shops, can you bargain with the stallholder..
How about the range of Lee, LVC and Wrangler Bluebell ?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
sorry, just my silly sense of humour. you might be expecting the market to be larger than it is... it's tiny, and you'll find the denim in no time.
London vintage prices are very high. i'm not a denim geek but for example £120 for a French workwear jacket.
haggling with the seller is always worth a go.

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Haggling with the seller is an art in itself as you know.
How vintage leather jackets?
Any other places that you could recommend?

Edward

Bartender
Thursday is supposed to be the best day for vintage clothes at Spitalfields. While you're in the East End, there are a bunch of vintage shops around and off Brick Lane. Best day for those is a Sunday. Be prepared to sift through mountains of Eighties tat before you find any real vintage. I'd also look to Portobello Road on a Saturday - see especially the market around the Westway Arcade, near Latimer Grove tube station.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's wet my appetite, going up the smoke at the end of the month (Thurs to Sat). Will head over to the East End on Thurs for a look at Spitalfields & Brick Lane. Probably round everything off with a nice curry.

majormajor

One Too Many
Personally, I hate London, these days.

We used to go down regularly in the 70's, but those days are gone.

"Overpriced shmutta for the tourists"???

Gimme the internet any day:D;)

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I'd also look to Portobello Road on a Saturday - see especially the market around the Westway Arcade, near Latimer Grove tube station.

Friday was always the day for the best vintage dealers... under the covered area. that's where ebay seller Kompendium used to sell. i think Saturday is more general.

pipvh

Practically Family
Friday was always the day for the best vintage dealers... under the covered area. that's where ebay seller Kompendium used to sell. i think Saturday is more general.

Still is. Start under the Westway and work your way up the hill to Goldborne Road - couple of very good vintage shops there as well. Then coffee and a pastel de nata at Porto or Lisboa... None of it is cheap though, except for the pastel.

Edward

Bartender
That's wet my appetite, going up the smoke at the end of the month (Thurs to Sat). Will head over to the East End on Thurs for a look at Spitalfields & Brick Lane. Probably round everything off with a nice curry.

That sounds like fun!

Highly recommend The Shampan on Brick Lane, BTW. Best one I've been in, great range of Northern Indian and Bangladeshi food.

Personally, I hate London, these days.

We used to go down regularly in the 70's, but those days are gone.

"Overpriced shmutta for the tourists"???

Gimme the internet any day:D;)

And all that messing around with idiot sellers who think that a jacket measuring 42" round the chesat means it's a size 42? Or who think any suit is "Mad Men"? Or any DB suit is "Forties Style!" Fornicate that noise.

Thanks, I'll hare up there some Friday...

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
I visit Spitalfields regularly as it's only 5 minutes from where I work.
As previously pointed out, Thursday is the best day for vintage, though I have to say there really isn't a great deal of anything special in terms of denim....always plenty of Levis Type111 jackets and I've seen enough of those now!
I have found that if you can make it down to the area on a Saturday and go to the indoor vintage markets in nearby Brick Lane, there's more interesting stock to pick from. Maybe do that and Portobello Road later in the same day? .....and if you still have some time/money/energy ....maybe Camden Stables market late in the afternoon? Happy Hunting!

So far as I know (at least last time I was at Portobello, maybe 6 months ago) he does Portobello as well as Spitalfields. There are quite a few stalls dominated by French workwear now. Sadly, most of it is of the trashed "little tramp" style. There was a wonderful little Belgian suit that was more patch than suit cloth. He did have an astonishing 1900-1910 French linen suit, though. Very long legs on it.

does Kompendium only sell at Spitalfields on a thursday now ? i haven't been to Portobello in yonks. i'm out of touch with what's happenin' on the street.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the Shampan tip Edward, always good to get a recommendation. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo