Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Exercise Techniques

Romamor4

Familiar Face
Thanks for the insights, ladies! At least now I know I'm not missing something. I have been trying to reset my hair without washing it but using a dry shampoo on days that I work out. It seems to work pretty well, although I'm sure to some that seems gross. It actually holds the curl very well!

DigThatBeat

Familiar Face
Exercises from No More Alibis by Sylvia of Hollywood, 1935

5636181276_e6c0c18698_b.jpg

2qdxtas.jpg

These are just funny:
5635601093_de218329ff_b.jpg

5635600945_13ab73ab84_b.jpg

5636181032_9ccdeb2906_z.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
lol

Sylvia cracks me up. She did a "health and beauty" column in Photoplay in the 1930s. Her advice is hilarious today!! I can't count how many times she has said that women should avoid developing muscles because it is "ugly" lol

She was also a firm believer that squeezing yourself would dissolve fat. She also had a method for changing the shape of your nose just by squeezing it for few minutes a day lol This is apparently how Ruth Chatterton got rid of the ball on the end of her nose.

Then she brags about how wonderful and in-shape she is for a 50 year old woman. It's great stuff.

Last edited:

DigThatBeat

Familiar Face
She was a total sadist, I love her.

From page 71 of her book:
"In-Betweens" have worse problems than the fat or skinny ones, who know their figures are wrong. They don't need anybody to tell them so. But you "in-betweens" often get the idea you're all right. And you aren't. Just take a good look at yourself. No, you aren't fat. And you aren't thin. But look at that chest. It's too flat. your ankles are too thick. Your abdomen sticks out. I haven't space to tell you your other defects. But I bet they are there--and plenty!'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24