Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
What kind of eyeglasses are these? PLEASE DO NOT MERGE!

Please do not merge this topic with the main eyewear thread. These are not Golden Era frames, but they are '90s era frames and I want a very similar pair, if not the same pair, and I have asked all over the net and not gotten an answer as to what their style might be called. They are not Panto, as Panto seem to be smaller--not reaching almost to the end of the nose--Panto frames seem to be smaller and rounder. These seem to be oval and large. If anyone could help identify me the style or a brand or ANYTHING, I would greatly appreciate it:
7461690342_7d053104f2_b.jpg

7518387308_3f8db9625f_b.jpg

7462072408_3c78f4d768.jpg

7462083170_b844773388.jpg

7462029542_5df3028969_z.jpg

7462098042_b1ffb2de1b.jpg

7462785398_c455c71d2b.jpg

7518382442_a879d02ac9_b.jpg

7518379692_81c96f07df_b.jpg

7462092830_58f6ded6d9_b.jpg

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Please do not merge this topic with the main eyewear thread. These are not Golden Era frames, but they are '90s era frames and I want a very similar pair, if not the same pair, and I have asked all over the net and not gotten an answer as to what their style might be called. They are not Panto, as Panto seem to be smaller--not reaching almost to the end of the nose--Panto frames seem to be smaller and rounder. These seem to be oval and large. If anyone could help identify me the style or a brand or ANYTHING, I would greatly appreciate it:

Wish I could help, but these frames were EVERYWHERE in the late 80s/early 90s, and probably every manufacturer out there had a pair on the market during that era. My first girlfriend wore a pair; so did a bunch of guys I went to school with. It's just a modernization/fusion of the Marshwood/P3/Windsor styles. The windsor had the zyl wrap around the lenses, which the patterning on the front of the frame is imitating; the shape of the lenses themselves are similar to old Marshwoods.

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
I'm an optician who has made hundreds of vintage glasses, and wears them myself. The frame you're looking at was made by a company called Viva Optical, and is Japanese made at one of the worst factories. They're notorious for turning green because of the poor finish on the metal. Tortoise lacquer on the rims was all the rage in the mid 80's to the 90's. I would recommend you look for a frame made in Italy, as they had the best quality in that time frame. Anything made with the Avante Garde or Safilo labels would be of the best quality, with Fratelli Lozza next. Any questions? Let me have it. I lecture in optics at one of the well known Universities in Washington, DC.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Fairly early Negretti and Zambra folding pince-nez with case:

SDC15034.jpg

30s(?) Tortoiseshell and gold spectacles with original case and cloth:

DSCF2936.jpg

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Wish I could help, but these frames were EVERYWHERE in the late 80s/early 90s, and probably every manufacturer out there had a pair on the market during that era. My first girlfriend wore a pair; so did a bunch of guys I went to school with. It's just a modernization/fusion of the Marshwood/P3/Windsor styles. The windsor had the zyl wrap around the lenses, which the patterning on the front of the frame is imitating; the shape of the lenses themselves are similar to old Marshwoods.

It's really frustrating being unable to find them anywhere. I really love them. They may be big but I love bigger eyeglasses. And the style as you said is a modernization of the classic Marshwood and P3 styles...They always had a very Hip yet Professional appearance to me. I've seen pix of very similar frames on various figures in the 1990s such as Steve Jobs and Jerry Garcia. They had a totally hip yet not too hip look and I wish they would come back in popularity. Panto frames don't cut it for me--they're too small, too rounded and end up looking Harry Potter-esque.

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
Depp in his vintage Arnels:
2414_2.jpg

johnny-depp-condom-rubber-sex-safe-glasses-sweeney-todd-trojans.jpg

(vintage Borsalino in both!)

He also has a pair in black, and I think I've seen him wear a pair of repros also. His vintage ones are a little warped on his left side (your right when looking at him). I don't know if they're warped, exactly, but they kind of pull away from his face on that side. It's more noticeable in some photos I've seen than in others. The repros I've seen him wear seem to be a slightly larger size.

Bob,

Would you hazard a guess on exactly which repro he wears? Could it be Dolabany's Arnold? Oliver Peoples' Sheldrake?

Stan.

havershaw

Practically Family
Hey Stan!
I think I've figured out that he doesn't have repros. He has three pair of original vintage Tarts.
He first wore a pair of Regency Arnels (Tart operated as regency in the late 70s, early 80s) in Amber in 44-22. These are what I thought were repros, because the amber pattern is kind of different.
Then he went to a pair of 42-24 Amber Tarts for a while (he no longer wears these). These look a tiny bit small on him, so they're pretty easily identifiable (I think it's what he's wearing in both the photos above).
Then he got yet another pair of Amber Tarts in 44-24. These were purple sunglasses for a while, but they have since been converted to light blue lenses, and he still wears these today.
I was told that he made an appearance a few years ago wearing the Regency Tarts again, which now had purple lenses.

As far as Tart repros go, the Dolabany is pretty good, but these are also great (very well-made):
http://www.microshapes.com/midcenturyframe.html
I think they're only available in 44-24. Like I said, very well-made. The 'beer brown' color is killer. I think their amber is more tortoise-y, but good if you like that sort of thing.
There are a few cheapies on eBay that I've seen in person - the amber color looked great, but they were kind of cheaply made. Didn't feel very substantial.

Hope that helps!

havershaw

Practically Family
Ego,
You should email Old Focals and ask them about that Brad Pitt frame. I believe they provided all the eyewear for that film. They are great folks.

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
Hey Stan!
I think I've figured out that he doesn't have repros. He has three pair of original vintage Tarts.
He first wore a pair of Regency Arnels (Tart operated as regency in the late 70s, early 80s) in Amber in 44-22. These are what I thought were repros, because the amber pattern is kind of different.
Then he went to a pair of 42-24 Amber Tarts for a while (he no longer wears these). These look a tiny bit small on him, so they're pretty easily identifiable (I think it's what he's wearing in both the photos above).
Then he got yet another pair of Amber Tarts in 44-24. These were purple sunglasses for a while, but they have since been converted to light blue lenses, and he still wears these today.
I was told that he made an appearance a few years ago wearing the Regency Tarts again, which now had purple lenses.

Hope that helps!

Wow Bob, that was fantastically quick! You bet it helps! I was thinking if he found a good enough repro, I could live with it too! :) You have quite an eye for detail though.

Anyway, I'm close to finalizing the purchase of an original Tart Arnel online. Two are available - one in 42 and one in 46. But I've never owned a vintage pair before so I'm not sure how to go about sizing them. My Ray-Ban Large Aviator at 138mm hinge-to-hinge length is a snug fit for me with minimal bending of the temple arms.

Do the vintage pairs wear differently? As in, do the temple arms bend wider? For example, in the two photos above it seems like the temple arms are a lot wider at the ear than at the hinges (could be an illusion though).

For reference:
Arnel 42 : hinge-to-hinge length = 122.5 mm
Arnel 46 : hinge-to-hinge length = 133.5 mm

Last edited:

havershaw

Practically Family
Stan,
The bridge size will make a big difference in the sizing, too, as far as the hinge to hinge measurement. I have two pair of brownsmoke - 42/24 and 42/22 - and they look quite different (to me). Even different eras fit a bit differently - I have two pair of brownsmoke/clear, both 42/24, and they fit differently and sit differently. One is an earlier pair, with no stamps on the arms.
I would maybe go to an optical shop that has anything remotely similar and try some of them on, just to get a feel for what kinds of sizes work for you.
42 is a pretty small eyesize. I wear a size 7 (or 56) fedora, and I wear 42 eyesize in Arnel, if that helps you.

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
Stan,
The bridge size will make a big difference in the sizing, too, as far as the hinge to hinge measurement. I have two pair of brownsmoke - 42/24 and 42/22 - and they look quite different (to me). Even different eras fit a bit differently - I have two pair of brownsmoke/clear, both 42/24, and they fit differently and sit differently. One is an earlier pair, with no stamps on the arms.
I would maybe go to an optical shop that has anything remotely similar and try some of them on, just to get a feel for what kinds of sizes work for you.
42 is a pretty small eyesize. I wear a size 7 (or 56) fedora, and I wear 42 eyesize in Arnel, if that helps you.

I'm pretty sure I would be needing the 46 then. :) Especially after reading your detailed email with the pictures. Thank you so much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner