Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Firearms

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Are there any collecters of vintage firearms out there. I am no collector, but I do have one rare gun. A 1936 Remington mod 121 Fieldmaster 22 pump.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_47&products_id=848

Wow I went looking for a pic on the web, and found this one. My 22 has no imperfections, the ser # starts with a 1, I called remington and it is one of the first runs for this mod in 1936. I paid less than 200.00 for mine just a couple years ago. Price is allways subject to what the market will bear, I have no intrest in selling, but intresting to say the least.:cool:

varga49

One of the Regulars
Thanks for showing that

I do not collect vintage firearms but I have my dad's winchester 22 model 61a which he bought in the early 30's. It's similar to your fieldmaster, with a few exceptions, one be the hammer. It's been kept in excellent condition and is still a straight shooter. Nice Remington!

My Lotto list:

So far vintage hasn't been part of the budget.
My hit the lotto list includes:
Broom handle Mauser in 9mm and if possible a Chinese model in 45ACP.
I'd like a Savage 45ACP the type that was in trial against the 1911.
A S&W and or Colt 45ACP revolver like the M1917.
An early Colt auto where the grip is straight up and down not angled back as the 1911 is.
A Military Police S&W 38 Special in 4" and an early Colt Detective Snubnose 38.
One of them Astra pistols in 9mm largo , the ones that look like bicycle pumps.
A Colt Peacemaker.
A M91/30 Russian Sniper rifle like in "Enemy at the Gates."
A Trench Winchester 12G shotgun.
A police model Ithaca Shotgun.

For starters anyway!

Baggers

Practically Family
I gave a bit of an overview of my collection in the "Anyone collect pistols" thread in the Display Case, but here's some more detail on my Lee Enfield rifles:

No. 1 Mk III*, dated 1917, Birmingham Small Arms Co. (British)

No. 4 Mk I, dated 1941, Maltby (British)

No. 1 Mk III*, dated 1943, Lithgow (Australia)

No. 5 Mk I, dated 1945, Fazakerly (British)

No. 4 Mk II, dated 1955, Fazakerly

2A1, dated 1967, Ishapore (India)

This pretty much covers the range of all Lee Enfield bolt action rifles in .303 from World War 1 until the type was retired in the 1950s, including the No. 5 "jungle carbine." That 1955 dated rifle came off the assembly line and went straight into storage as War Reserve until the whole lot was sold off in the early 1990s. When I bought it, it was still in the original storage wrap. The 2A1 was the 7.62mm NATO version that was produced by the Indians to cover the gap while they were cranking up production of their version of the FN FAL, and are still issued to police units. No other rifle has served as long and as successfully. I still prowl gun shops looking for examples of models and years that I can add to the pile. A lot of history wrapped up in these weapons.

Cheers!

Siirous

One of the Regulars
2 Rifles are my family heirlooms

I don't know exactly what each gun is, I've never really gotten into all the different brands and kinds of guns out there:

One is a .22 short pump action rifle with an octagonal barrel. I recall my father saying it was a winchester, but don't quote me on that I haven't fired it in years. It was either my grandfathers grandfather or my grandfathers father. At any rate It dates from 1890'ish so the passed down story says.

the other is a .22 mossberg bolt action rifle, I have no idea when it is from, but certainly the earlier part of the twentieth century since it was passed down from my grandfather as well.

My father picked up seperately from the heirlooms a .303 British Enfield from WWII.

Eventually these guns will be passed down to me (Hopefully not soon at all, with my father still in good health), and then eventually my kids will get them.

Sincerely,
Rob

Siirous said:
One is a .22 short pump action rifle with an octagonal barrel. I recall my father saying it was a winchester, but don't quote me on that I haven't fired it in years. It was either my grandfathers grandfather or my grandfathers father. At any rate It dates from 1890'ish so the passed down story says.Rob
Pump action 22's are well regarded and there is a style called a "Gallery Gun" for shooting galleries. You pump could be worth a pretty penny in good condition.

The 22 bolt action is the best teaching rifle and they are usually very accurate.

Tudor

Familiar Face
Siirous said:
the other is a .22 mossberg bolt action rifle, I have no idea when it is from, but certainly the earlier part of the twentieth century since it was passed down from my grandfather as well.

Sincerely,
Rob

Rob,
I ended up with my father's .22 Mossberg as well. It is no museum piece but I will never let it go. My Uncle tells me that they got this gun around the WWII timeframe. I would estimate from the stories that it was just before the war.

Get your Dad out there and shoot those guns with him. You will always have those memories.

Tudor

Siirous

One of the Regulars
The .22 pump action is still in great firing and aesthetic condition, it's one of my dad's favorites.

The first weapon I ever fired was that old .22 mossberg when I was about 12 years old. The range we used to go to had little gongs at 100 yards. While my dad was practicing on the 30-30 lever action and the enfield, I used to pump hundreds of rounds through that bolt action till my fingers were so sore I couldn't even load another. Then we'd all go grab some grub and head home to give everything a thorough cleaning. :hamburger

Sincerely,
Rob

John in Covina said:
Broom handle Mauser in 9mm and if possible a Chinese model in 45ACP.

I have a 9mm Broomhandle. It has never been fired by me so I really can't tell you how great a weapon it is but I like the way it looks. I had it gone over by Briklee a while back if I remember correctly. Years ago you could get those for $50 each. They were in pretty bad shape of course but you could have them made into any caliber you liked.

Regards to all,

J

varga49

One of the Regulars
Siirous said:
I don't know exactly what each gun is, I've never really gotten into all the different brands and kinds of guns out there:

One is a .22 short pump action rifle with an octagonal barrel. I recall my father saying it was a winchester, but don't quote me on that I haven't fired it in years. It was either my grandfathers grandfather or my grandfathers father. At any rate It dates from 1890'ish so the passed down story says.

My father picked up seperately from the heirlooms a .303 British Enfield from WWII.

Eventually these guns will be passed down to me (Hopefully not soon at all, with my father still in good health), and then eventually my kids will get them.

Sincerely,
Rob
You'll eventually come into those firearms. I like the way you said "not soon at all". I waited a long time too but appreciated my Dad not just handing them over to me right away. I won't make my son wait that long but then he's 31. When he and his wife move back to Texas then I'll suprise him with the model 61! DV

Jake

One of the Regulars
Japanese rifle

I inherited a Japanese army rifle from my father in law, who got during the occupation of Japan. I don't know anything about it as I have not researched what it is. I'm more into handguns than rifles.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I love vintage, shootable guns. My favorite is my 1895 lever action Winchester carbine in 303 British. I bought it off an elderly bear hunter from Alberta. One side of the forestock has a rut worn into it from where he would rest it on the side of his canoe. I have an Enfield Jungle Carbine in 303 and an original American issued Remington-Enfield in 30-06 from WWI, the same model carried by Sgt. York. I have a 1910 made lever action Winchester shotgun but it can't handle modern 2 3/4 sized shells. I also have an 1897 Winchester that my grandfather special ordered the last year they were made. I did have a Mauser pistol in the original 7.62x25. I eventually traded it away because the ejected shells would consistantly hit me right in the forhead. Shooting these old firearms can really take you back and give you some feeling of what it was like to live in those old days. If you're a hunter, check out the Roosevelt-Browning hunting club. This is a great club that hunts using only vintage guns (or modern replicas) and vintage cartridges and period bullet designs.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Thanks for the tip....

Havana. I'm definitely going to check that out!
Muchas gracias, Amigo!

Jake said:
I inherited a Japanese army rifle from my father in law, who got during the occupation of Japan. I don't know anything about it as I have not researched what it is. I'm more into handguns than rifles.

I think you might be referring to a Japanese Ariska rifle. Try this site to check out all there is to know about them:
http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

Regards to all,

J

P.S. My uncle brought one of these back along with a sword and pipe.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorites is my 1896 Baker side by side demascus barreled shotgun. I use 2 3/4 shells and it is a great trap gun. Patterns beautifully. Not bad for 110 years old. The other is my M1 Garand. If I had only one weapon to take into combat that would be it.

Cheers!

Dan

Mycroft

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
One of my favorites is my 1896 Baker side by side demascus barreled shotgun. I use 2 3/4 shells and it is a great trap gun. Patterns beautifully. Not bad for 110 years old. The other is my M1 Garand. If I had only one weapon to take into combat that would be it.

Cheers!

Dan

Well as General Patton put it "In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." And I am in a lot of agree for that time period it was the greatest.

DanielJones said:
The other is my M1 Garand. If I had only one weapon to take into combat that would be it.

Yep, I've got one of those. I bought it in rememberance of my father's service in Korea. The date is even right on the rifle. The problem I have with it is the loading procedure. That en bloc clip kicking out just doesn't do it for me. Not to mention the great number of friends you make at the range when it hits them. :p
In my opinion, the Italians made the M1 an even better weapon by converting it to the BM59. Now that gun would be one to take into combat if weight was not a great factor. Select fire, 20 round magazine, .308 caliber, folding tripod under the muzzle and a rate of fire of 750 rounds per minute. not bad at all. :clap

Regards to all,

J

Siirous

One of the Regulars
This thread...

Made me go drive the couple of hours down to my dad's house and pull out a few of those old guns I was talking about. Had a good time and ate some good food and got a refresher on what exactly my heirlooms are.

The pump action I was talking about earlier was a "Winchester model 1890" and it had a patent pending date of 1892 below that. It was given to my grandfather by his grandfather, so it belonged to my great great grandfather. It was manufactured by the "Winchester Repeating Arms Company, New Haven Connecticut"

The mossberg was simply labeled "Mossberg & Son Model B", and had no serial number on it. According to the National Mossberg Collectors Association website:

"For a period of years between 1930 and 1968, Mossberg did not put serial numbers on their long guns, preferring to pass along that cost savings to the consumer. Early Model K, L, M and S rifles did have a serial number, as did the .22 training rifles made for the military (44US) and British Lend-Lease guns (42MB). The Gun Control Act of 1968 made it no longer optional for a manufacturer to put serial numbers on their long guns, and all Mossberg firearms made after 1968 will bear a serial number on the left rear of the receiver."

So I guess this gun was made between 1930 & 1968. It was my grandfathers uncle's, so I assume it's more towards the 1930 end of the spectrum. Is it still OK to have this rifle with no serial number if it was made before 1968?

Fortunately and Unfortunately I found out my father restored the rifles. They came to hime rusted and unfireable and so my father being a woodworker and my neighbour a metal worker and avid gun collector took both of them apart, sand blasted away all the rust and brought them to firing condition. My dad then refinished the all the wood on both and they look beautiful. I assume even though the wood is still the original, the new finish dropped it's monetary value quite a bit. But being able to shoot them like they're brand new with my father makes all the value to me sentimental anyways.

Sorry for the lengthy post!

Sincerely,
Rob