Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Firearms

green papaya

One Too Many
Twitch said:
Michaelson- how hard is it to find ammo for it and cost? Should be findable. Those things or on sale out here all the time at one sporting goods store for like $80. I haven't messed with my rifles for years since it's a long drive to go to a place to shoot them so I stick with the pistols.

the local gunshop has surplus 7.62x54R ammo for the M44 for $2.99 a box [20 rds]

cheap to shoot :cheers1:

green papaya

One Too Many
Clyde R. said:
I love vintage firearms. My Dad got me interested in them when I was a kid. Here's a British Webley Mark VI revolver I recently acquired (similar to but not as rare as the Webley-Fosberry automatic revolver that Sam Spade refers to in Maltese Falcon.) This Webley is a big .455 caliber revolver, and was made in 1917. The Webley was the standard British sidearm of WWI and was still being used into WWII...it was declared obsolete in 1947. I love the Edwardian styling of the piece...just need a good Burberry trench coat to go with it!
standard.jpg

nice pistol! it looks exactly like the pistol Harrison Ford used in the movie Indiana Jones? :cool:

Michaelson

One Too Many
green papaya said:
the local gunshop has surplus 7.62x54R ammo for the M44 for $2.99 a box [20 rds]

cheap to shoot :cheers1:

GOOD GRIEF!!! SOMEBODY LOAD UP ON THAT STUFF!!!!!:eek:

Wow!!!

High regards! Michaelson

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
M1 Garand

Lately, I have liked Trap shooting...and have been doing that on Saturdays. However, I also enjoy my M1 Garand, which was made in 1942. I don't know if it saw service overseas, but it very well could have. The wood was replaced. The rest is original, and in beautiful condition. It's very accurate. Our club has a group that meets once a month, and you find a dozen or more guys with their M1's. They do the modified DCM format. After the morning M1 sgooters, then all other military rifles come out. Loud, big calaber stuff. Mine is 30-06.

M1Garand.jpg

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the update on that cartridge guys. I think almost all mil-surplus ammo is/was corrosive. Last I had was some crappy M-1 carbine rounds many years ago.

Feraud

Bartender
That M1 is a beauty Andykev. I am so jealous..

Twitch said:
Thanks for the update on that cartridge guys. I think almost all mil-surplus ammo is/was corrosive. Last I had was some crappy M-1 carbine rounds many years ago.
All milsurp ammo is corrosive and should be treated as such. I believe it is the ignition element in the primer cap that makes it so.

Cleaning your rifle after using it is a good practice no matter the ammo. I learned that good habit from shooting black powder. :)

My M1 needs a rebarrel after all the shooting it has done before me and with me. Mine is a Korean War model. I wanted one because it was the model my father carried there. Be careful of the WWII era Garands because the operating rods were not as strong as they should have been. Men in WWII had been killed when the operating rod separated and blew back on them. If you take it apart and the operating rod is riveted---get rid of it and replace it with a stamped or solid one. Those rivets come loose after a while. Most had been fixed when they went back to the armories though.
The rifle action should also be greased with modern lithium/graphite. I used Molybdenum grease made for rifles and guns. It bonds with the metal and provides good wear protection.
Be careful when you load the Garand as well. "M-1 Thumb" is a bad problem that is now 60 years old. If you have never had that happen just think of hitting your thumb with a hammer then multiply it ten times . ;) :cry:

Regards to all,

J

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Love your M1, Andy. Here's a pic of my 1955 vintage H&R made M1. This was a CMP collector grade, meaning original finish and parts. This one was used very little. Papaya, thanks for the kind words on my Webley. Yep, it would qualify as an Indy Gun. If you go to the Indy Gear site you can find some great info on Indy Guns, including some advice from Michaelson. I personally like the Mark VI Webley as a shooter and service arm. My friend's Mark IV with shorter 4" barrel and birds head grip would be a better civilian "carry gun" I suppose. The Webleys are tough and durable and have loads of charm. I agree with many firearms experts that the Webley was probably the finest service revolver put into service.
standard.jpg

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Here's another pic of the HRA collector grade. Guys, for some really good info on the M1 operating rod cut/un-cut safety issue go to Scott Duff's website...I'll give a link. Scott is the the author of THE collector books on the M1 Garand and a nice guy to boot.
http://www.scott-duff.com/ Go to the FAQ and click on M1 and "What's the scoop on cut and uncut op-rods?"
standard.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorite shooters I have is a reproduction 1765 Brown Bess musket, 0.75 Caliber (12 guage). I can actuall target shoot with it, eventhough it's a smoothbore, with a fairly tight patch. Makes a great clay shooter as well, and the flintlock on it fires every time sun or rain. I haven't built anything like it and I've built and shot sever types of flintlocks. It has made a great all round shooter.

Cheers!

Dan

Clyde R. said:
Here's another pic of the HRA collector grade. Guys, for some really good info on the M1 operating rod cut/un-cut safety issue go to Scott Duff's website...I'll give a link. Scott is the the author of THE collector books on the M1 Garand and a nice guy to boot.
http://www.scott-duff.com/ Go to the FAQ and click on M1 and "What's the scoop on cut and uncut op-rods?"
standard.jpg

Looking back on what I wrote, I meant to write follower rod not operating rod. Inspect the follower rod for a pinched or worn forks and for loose rivets. The follower rod should have a long fork; therefore, replace all rods having short forks. This is necessary to prevent the rod from disengaging. Dispose of the old type (short fork) follower rod if it looks worn. You can keep the short rod but for shooting use the long rod. Loose rivets in the follower rod can cause damage to your gun whether they are long or short follower rods so inspect the gun after each use while cleaning.
I hope that clears that up. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I know, I know

Feraud said:
That M1 is a beauty Andykev. I am so jealous..

All milsurp ammo is corrosive and should be treated as such. I believe it is the ignition element in the primer cap that makes it so.

Cleaning your rifle after using it is a good practice no matter the ammo. I learned that good habit from shooting black powder. :)

Ya I had "blanks" in 12 gauge, they are actually SCHNEKPATRONNEN (sp?), in German it means "scare cartridges". Used and approved by the USDA for scaring birds from crops. They are a "cherry bomb" launched two or three telephone pole height into the air and go "boom". Black powder. Ruined a Remmington 870 barrell when I stupid me forgot to clean it. Pitted and ruined the barrell. It is functional, but HAS to be cleaned every time now. I have replaced it.

The military surplus stuff is ok IF you clean after shooting. I do. Besides, it is almost 1/4 the cost of "factory" ammo.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Having recently bought a modern 38 special revolver for range shooting, I can see how a person can get going as a collector pretty quickly. I'm searching Google images for old S&W models rather obsessively.
Who collects pre 50's firearms? Holsters/cases?

EngProf

Practically Family
Having recently bought a modern 38 special revolver for range shooting, I can see how a person can get going as a collector pretty quickly. I'm searching Google images for old S&W models rather obsessively.
Who collects pre 50's firearms? Holsters/cases?
If you are interested in early firearms (pistols) you should find and join the Smith and Wesson and Colt Forums. Many experts and much information there...
If you like old firearms at all, reading those sites will cause you to start buying early ones as often as you find them.
My most recent 100+ year-old Colt is a New Service made in 1917 in British .455 Eley caliber. It has British military markings so I assume it was actually used in WWI.
It looks great on the outside and has a great bore. However, it had some timing issues, so it's at the gunsmith shop at the moment.
I have 100 pieces of new .455 brass so I need to get some loaded for when it gets out of the "hospital".

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've learned that my wife's grandfather left her a revolver in his will, which she has yet to retrieve from relatives. I'm not sure, but from the single photo we have of it, it looks to be a long barrel S&W 45, a pretty desirable revolver. We spent some time at the range this week, and it will probably become a sport we both enjoy. So it would be great for each of us to have something to practice with.

green papaya

One Too Many
Surplus has pretty much "dried up" in the USA

at the gun shows they dont have much either, but I use to collect surplus rifles like the Springfield M1903 , Colt M1911's , Mausers, Mosin Nagants, Russian sks