Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage" foods that are still with us today.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I don't eat bacon. I'm not a vegetarian, but ever since I was young, the amount of fat on a slice of bacon grossed me out, so I just don't eat it. I do love the smell of it, but I always have sausage if I have a fancy breakfast.

arthur

Suspended
I get great slab bacon from a polish meat market,fantastic stuff,slice it myself nice and thick. You just have to remember portion size and moderation,or you'll wake up in the morning wondering why your pants don't fit.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Mmmmm...pastry. Pastry makes everything better.

I have never heard of a pork pie (except the hat) and have never seen one. But the smell of bacon cooking could rouse the dead, in my opinion. It reminds me of being a kid, with my dad frying bacon early on weekends. I would run down to the kitchen to ensure I got my piece before my greedy siblings made short work of it. Bacon, some toast with homemade crabapple jelly, and I was a happy camper.

My favorite classic food has to be anything with mashed potaoes and a good chicken pot pie.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lola Getz said:
Mmmmm...pastry. Pastry makes everything better.

My favorite classic food has to be anything with mashed potaoes and a good chicken pot pie.

Ah, now we're getting into the serious stuff. There's a lot of old French neighborhoods in Maine where chicken pie is an ethnic food, and there's a bakery in Lewiston -- the capital of French culture here -- where you can get them hand made the old fashioned way and packaged for home cooking, and they also distribute on a limited basis to supermarkets around the state. The genuine article is made only with lard crust, big chunks of potatoes, thick slices of carrots, a dense white gravy, and big chunks of chicken, and when you eat one you don't have to eat again for about two days. Absolutely the best meal there is on a cold winter day.

olive bleu

One Too Many
mmmm..Tourtière.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourtiere

0ee89e95.jpg
[/IMG]

carter

I'll Lock Up
We just returned to Texas from a family reunion in Virginia. Not much difference in the bacon but I surely miss salt-cured Virginia ham.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
People have eaten almost anything at one point or another, even crow.

Ingredients
16 pieces of crow breast meat (no bones) (8 crows)
16 pieces of green pepper
16 cherry tomatoes
8 button mushrooms
8 ears of sweet corn
1 1/2 cups of Teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup melted butter
8 kabob skewers
Preparation
Cut each piece of crow in half and place in a covered bowl with the Teriyaki sauce over night. Clean and cut each ear of corn into 3 pieces. Cook in boiling salt water for 10 minutes. Alternately put corn (3 pieces), green peppers (3 pieces) and cherry tomatoes (3) along with 4 pieces of crow meat on each skewer. Use 1 mushroom to top each skewer. Brush with melted butter and place on preheated grill for about 4 minutes. Flip, butter again and place back on grill for another 4 minutes. Repeat one last time for a total of 12 minutes or until they appear done. Serves four adults.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Anybody got a history on this dish?

Never mind the history what the heck is it? Sounds like an oxy-moron to me!!
Yes i am from the north.. Canada as a matter of fact but have no idea how you'd chicken fry anything...

Kassia

One of the Regulars
warbird said:
Oh good. I used to see people get on the plane headed west with boxes of Krispy Kremes. I can't recall seeing them out there. Then again I'm not usually looking for them either.

My oh my, we have Krispy Creams here in Western Canada and you can't get much more west than that... Hideous donuts, yeck..

They don't hold a candle to Tim Hortons any way...
Any one for a Maple Dip and a double double?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pigeon toe said:
I don't eat bacon. I'm not a vegetarian, but ever since I was young, the amount of fat on a slice of bacon grossed me out, so I just don't eat it. I do love the smell of it, but I always have sausage if I have a fancy breakfast.

Obviously, my dear, you have never seen sausage being made. :D :eek: :D

Big Man

Kassia said:
When i was in PA i had scrapple.. Yeck it is not fit for human consumption, imho...

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree with you on that one. :)

In the South (actually, I believe it's rather regional to this part of NC) we have livermush. I believe livermush and what up north is called scrapple is basically about the same thing. I like my livermush fried up real good. It's good for breakfast with eggs, or like we had last night, for supper with fried potatoes and onions.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Kassia said:
My oh my, we have Krispy Creams here in Western Canada and you can't get much more west than that... Hideous donuts, yeck..

They don't hold a candle to Tim Hortons any way...
Any one for a Maple Dip and a double double?

well, i've never had a krispy kreme,but i'm familar with Timmies donuts for sure..i can't eat any of the stuff..too sweet..AAK!

But, I'm in for the double double:)

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Yeck

Big Man said:
Sorry, but I'd have to disagree with you on that one. :)

In the South (actually, I believe it's rather regional to this part of NC) we have livermush. I believe livermush and what up north is called scrapple is basically about the same thing. I like my livermush fried up real good. It's good for breakfast with eggs, or like we had last night, for supper with fried potatoes and onions.

It is my understanding that scrapple is made of all the things that were not good enough to go into the sausages...

You can disagree all you want! And i admit that the scrapple i had probably was not the best but there is nothing in the world that would get me to eat it again!!!!
:eek:

Big Man

Kassia said:
It is my understanding that scrapple is made of all the things that were not good enough to go into the sausages...

As they say, "parts is parts." :D

Actually, sausage is made from "scraps" and livermush is made from the hog's liver and cornmeal. Maybe scrapple really is something different than livermush. Those yankees really do eat some horrid things ... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21