Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage footage (1896-1908)

The Edwardian

New in Town
Hope it's OK to post this here. I took some vintage actuality footage shot between 1896-1908 and made a video from the clips. I admit the music score is very cliche but nothing else I tried to use worked. I'm still not happy with the end result.

Just thought some of you might find the footage interesting. [video=youtube;pnZ_bhG3QLk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnZ_bhG3QLk[/video]

Last edited:

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
This is quite lovely! I like that the footage action isn't abnormally fast like in silent movies but shows people moving at a normal pace....makes them seem more real (if that makes sense).

The Edwardian

New in Town
I don't like the music either. It does make one sad. Is this France? or different places? Welcome to the FL.

Most of it is from France. There's some clips of England, Italy, and the US in there as well. That Shannon Quartet song you posted is lovely. :D

I'm glad people are liking the video. The speed of the footage was actually too fast or too slow in some cases. I corrected them as best as I could.

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
Hope it's OK to post this here. I took some vintage actuality footage shot between 1896-1908 and made a video from the clips. I admit the music score is very cliche but nothing else I tried to use worked. I'm still not happy with the end result.

This is very nice!!! The music provided an atmosphere of peace and serenity which allowed me to drift further into the video and appreciate your work...

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
Nice work, thanks for posting.
Sure would be nice to able watch something like this in a theater. I'm in that certain mood where I think I could get lost in it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
*Scratch that*

Very nice video. I think some proper period music from the 1900s-1910s would be better. Some nice accoustical vintage recordings...

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This is quite lovely! I like that the footage action isn't abnormally fast like in silent movies but shows people moving at a normal pace....makes them seem more real (if that makes sense).

No, it makes perfect sense. It definitely looks real now, like I could have shot it myself in black and white, with costumes, instead of what we have come to expect from very old 'everyone moving fast' movies.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
I find the music quite suits, it gives your film 'collage' the feel of a hommage to those times, it makes ones thoughts travel back even though we have not lived through those days ourselves.

Very gently done, and a good ending. I enjoyed it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
1906 Quake

Really nice! The footage of the cars racing around the Trollycar were taken in San Francisco. Some on figured out by the puddles on the street, cross referencing with weather reports, that this film had to be taken just days before the 1906 earth quake. That means many of the people you see in the film, had just days to live! I also like the footage of Santos-Dumont's dirigible. He would tether it next to his hotel in Paris and just walk out the window, then fly to his favorite resturant. He would have parties, where all the tables and chairs were on stilts. A mad Brazilian, a genius of the first order!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That is really cool, although the music you picked makes it all feel very sad.

By the way, this was not to say that I didn't like the music. I thought it fit very well.

It was only a comment on the power of music to change the perception of something. I tried muting it and listening to some (anachronistic) 20s pop music that was much more upbeat, and the whole set of clips felt very different. Less wistful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran