Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage fur felt, to fix or not to fix

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Removing moth 'craters'- not for the faint hearted!

Ok, I do not want to be held responsible for any over jealous approach to the technique I am going to share with you now- proceed with caution!

This will not fix a moth hole that is completely of nearly through the felt completely.

First, steam the hat well and brush hard with a hat brush. This will round the edges of the crater making it look less severe.

If you want to reduce the appearance of the crater even more or remove it altogether [carefully] take a Stanley knife blade and ‘shave’ the felt gently about half inch radius around the crater, reducing the felt around the crater gradually until it is level with the base of the crater or as low as you would dare go. You will find on most hat colours, this shaved area will appear lighter; this is the ‘true’ colour of the felt when your hat was new! Fading and dirt will change the colour of the hat body over time. Trust me, steaming, brushing, handling and wearing for a month in normal conditions will balance the ‘fresh’ colour and it will dull almost to the point of becoming un-noticeable. I have done this many times- it really can add a new lease of life to moth eaten relics. Beware- do not shave too thin! Stop regularly and pinch the affected area between your fingers to ensure you are not in danger of going through. DO NOT try to cut a sliver of felt off the hat; instead shave the ‘hairs’ gently. I have taken hours to do one small area- patience is a virtue and will be rewarded!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo