Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hair Care

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's some of my collection:
IMG_1032.jpg

hotrod54chevy

New in Town
i use Dax for hold and Dixie Peach for shine myself.you can still get Dixie Peach at CVS..i usually get 2 when i go there just in case :rolleyes:
frank

Salv

One Too Many
Where do you find the vintage stuff flat-top? Flea markets? Any source in NY you want to share? I'm trying to arrange a visit to the city later this year, and I'd love to pick up some vintage grease.

I recognise that Max Factor Crew Cut. My dad used to use it.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Salv said:
Where do you find the vintage stuff flat-top? Flea markets? Any source in NY you want to share? I'm trying to arrange a visit to the city later this year, and I'd love to pick up some vintage grease.

I recognise that Max Factor Crew Cut. My dad used to use it.
A lot of this stuff is from Ebay. There are sellers who seem to only sell old drug store stock, so they have tons of this stuff. The brilliantine and tonic bottles were found in various antique shops in Tennessee. Not sure if you can see the Black and White pomade in the pic, but it's in a cardboard container called a "Victory Package", which I'm sure has something to do with the rationing of tin or plastics during WWII.
I don't use any of this stuff, although I'm sure I could! What you can't see in that pic is my collection of NEW pomades and waxes that I DO use everyday! It's a real addiction!
flat-top

hotrod54chevy

New in Town
herringbonekid said:
is dixie peach still made or are you talking about buying old stock ?

nope, new stuff,brand new..comes in a can about the size of an asprin bottle.like i said,i've only seen it at CVS with the Murrays and Dax.
frank

Salv

One Too Many
I took a look on eBay for vintage pomade and found a very nice Royal Crown for a buy-it-now $9.99, but the seller doesn't ship outside the US! If anyone can do a fellow Lounger a favour and buy it then ship it to me please PM me. I'll PayPal you the $9.99 + the sellers cost of postage to you ($3.00) + the postage from you to the UK + a few bucks for your trouble. Thanks.

I also found a UK source for new blue Sweet Georgia Brown, so I'm glad I looked now.

And that's a great Dixie Peach tin 'kid. Where did you find that?

Salv

One Too Many
Strange, the picture was there when I posted it, and I can see it now while I'm in the Reply to thread page. Click on the edirectory link and you'll go to the page where it's for sale though.

Edit - and now I can see it again in the main thread. Possibly it's in my browser cache after viewng the sales page again.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
hotrod54chevy said:
here's the stuff i use..you can still find it online at places like filmart.com etc..
frank

thanks... so i have got an original unused 20s/30s tin ! excellent.
interestingly the wax inside is a pinky peach colour.

and the somewhat confusing instructions on the side read:

"APPLY EACH DAY. RUBBING BRISKLY INTO THE HAIR. USE HOT WATER OR TOWEL TO DAMPEN. THEN BRUSH AND COMB OUT."

dizzydog

New in Town
hotrod54chevy said:
here's the stuff i use..you can still find it online at places like filmart.com etc..
frank

I just bought some of this at Sally. The lady swears that its the best alternative to Murrays and will wash right out and hold almost as well and wont be super hard in the hair.

We shall see. Now if I could only get this Murrays out!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran