Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Haircut: Specific Problems and General Questions.

inappropriate

New in Town
Hello,

Thanks again for all the replies to my previous post on this general subject. Sorry that I hadn't taken the time to respond until now. I've been growing my fringe out, and have come to a few problems that I could really use your gracious assistance in tackling.

To recap, I was attempting to get a haircut as similar as possible to the likes worn by Leslie Howard and Charlie Chaplin: wavy but cohesive on top, and tidy on the sides and back. I'm still looking for a good barber, so I can't take the last step yet - but I am working on growing my fringe out as a prerequisite for the style, as was suggested to me.

As I've grown my fringe longer, it seems that the weight of the hairs' lengths is flattening out my natural waves a bit. Is there anything to be done about this?

Should my fringe be equally long all across my head, or should the side that's got to flip the farthest be much longer than that on the side to which it's going?

Scotrace has a pretty good photo up of his hair style; I wonder what he's told/shown his barber?

I've tried a few pomades and gels now, not Dirty Trix though, and in every case so far the product, when applied while the hair is still wet, prevents my waves ever from taking shape, and, when applied to dry hair that has been allowed to get wavy, promptly flattens everything out. Is Dirty Trix certain not to do this? Moreover, how did these guys get their hair so frizz-free and cohesive, without making it slick or shiny or plasticy?

What's the best morning procedure for hair of this style? Am I doing everything that I can just by conditioning, combing, and letting it dry - or is there more that might help?

Thanks again, Happy Holidays.

inappropriate said:
Moreover, how did these guys get their hair so frizz-free and cohesive, without making it slick or shiny or plasticy?

They didn't. Their hair stylists did it for them. If you see candid shots of Chaplin, away from the studio, he had rather frizzy hair. If your hair is not aturally curly/wavy when product s applied, you may need mechanical help.

Look in the ladies sections ("powder room", "beauty") here for "finger wave".

bk

inappropriate

New in Town
Thanks for your reply. I didn't mean for my question to be taken literally; I meant, rather, "how was it done?" Regardless of who did it.
My hair is naturally curly/wavy, but putting the particular products that I have tried in it makes it flat. I have tried pomades of various brands with no luck yet.

Thanks again, bye.

I've found that the first day of product mkes my hair straight, flat, over-controlled, whatever. But from day 2 onwards, the natural waveiness begins to come out.

This method, of course, requires that you don't wash your hair every day. The same batch of pomade behaves differently on various days after application. I believe this is how it was done back in th day.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic