Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Heat?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I dunno that ray gun busniss sounds like something you'll need a federal license for...
th_violent069.gif

Probably gonna be considered an AOW (it's neither pistol, rifle, shotgun, short-barrel rifle, short-barrel shotgun, machine-gun or sound-suppressor, so AOW's the "everything else" catch-all). The bad news? Still have to fill out a Form 4, if your state allows you to own AOWs, and get your local chief LEO to sign off or have a corporation to own it. The good news? You only gotta pay $5 for the NFA tax, as opposed to $200 a pop for all the really fun toys.

I

Ian Dundrillon

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

Sigmund Freud

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Here's a picture of the 1920s S&W premodel 10 M&P that I just picked up. I bought the Victory holster and the belt adapter of e-bay. Anyone know what the snap extension on the belt adapter are for? The adapter stamped US 1951 and I wondering if it's for some kind of MP straps or mounted rider use.
1076418140_872c110e67.jpg

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
If I may venture a guess, I'd say they connect to the sword hangers on a Sam Browne belt.

Yeah...pretty sure that's not the terminology, but...what can you do?

cooncatbob

Practically Family
AeroDillo said:
If I may venture a guess, I'd say they connect to the sword hangers on a Sam Browne belt.

Yeah...pretty sure that's not the terminology, but...what can you do?

Give that man a cigar.
I just googled "Sam Browne Belt" and one of those shoulder straps would hook right up to the belt adapter.
Thanks. Bob.

How to ruin a roscoe

A pal knew a guy who's gal's aunt passed away, and cleaning her estate found 1) a Stevens tip-up pistol and 2) an American made 1927 auto pistol. Now I have heard she let one of her employees gain access to them, and he "...cleaned them up!, made them pretty!, took off a little rust...". In other words, committing the sin dread by collectors, removing any beautiful patina, any heritage or history or character gained down through the years.

"Hey! Lookit this! I gotta Nail from the True Cross! But it was old & dirty, so I cleaned off the dried blood and shined it up all purty!"

These are now just another pachuco saturday night special pimped up and dumbed down. Coulda puked.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't consider gerneral cleaning, removing rust and bore attention a bad thing unless they removed the blueing finish. Rust is not nostalgic nor does it add to value in any way. It is a cancer that will ruin any grade of firearm if left alone.:eek:

dostacos

Practically Family
plain old dave said:
What firearms best work for The Golden Age? My Nominees:

Colt New Service
Colt Government Model (either .45 or .38 Super)
Smith and Wesson Military and Police
Smith and Wesson Model 1926 .44
Colt Police Positive
Remington Model 81
Remington Model 51
M1928 Thompson with vertical fore-end and drum magazine

Additions?
short barreled pump or lever action shotgun Browning 9mm semi auto

60Years2Late

New in Town
dostacos said:
short barreled pump or lever action shotgun Browning 9mm semi auto
I'm assuming you mean: Model 1887, or Model 1901 (lever action shotgun.) Model 1897 (The Good Old Trench Gun. No restrictor means that you can hold the trigger and pump.) or M-1912 pump shotgun, and a Browning Hi-Power. The Hi-Power, though extremely popular with German troops was very much a runner-up in the popular eye to the 1911. Though many still prefered ye olden six shooters, to the point that it probably wouldn't be uncommon to see somebody pack an 1873 around. But yeah, the 1911 was definitely THE handgun of the era. As for adding weapons, I haven't got the time to read all 13 pages of posts to see if it's already been posted, but I'd say the Browning Model 1918 Automatic Rifle can't be left out. And while we're speaking of good old '06 weapons, let's not forget the 1903. Jeff Cooper would roll over in his grave were we to forget that venerable peice of American history.

Also, in reference to the above, the shotguns would not necessarily be sawn-off. A sawed-off shotgun is almost worthless unless you plan on doing your killing in a 10x10 room. Try and fire that thing across the street, and you're apt to hit some innocents. Buckshot's only got like six pellets. Been a while since I last counted, but if memory serves, that's about all. It's not like a cloud of lead. It's like... a few .32 bullets going their way. Now mind you, a 20 inch shotgun had a decent enough spread to do the job (Not having to specifically aim. Usually you can be on target just by "snap shotting.") If I had the ability to take whatever I wanted, not limited by weight and the good old fashioned "Where the hell do I put it?", then I'd have to say first and foremost, I want a 1911. Being post 1927, I'd say the 1911A1 will do just fine. Second off, I'm taking the Model 1897 shotgun, and I don't want it sawed. 20 inch barrel will be just fine. Now, in my car I'd try to keep one of these three weapons at all times. This would of course vary depending on what I'm planning on. While the B.A.R. is prime for shooting up cars, buildings, and people, it's just plain unweildy. But it's always handy to have. So in most cases, the BAR is, by far, the best weapon to have. It's handy in mid-range (50-350 yards), it has the capability to lay down suppressive fire at 6-700, maybe even 8 or 900 yards if I've got a bipod and a good aim, and I can use it to shoot the po-po or the gangsters up behind me with relative ease when I'm doing 40 down the inner-city streets. Assuming I got a partner, anyway. The 1903 would almost never see use, since I'm assuming I'm not going hunting inner-city, and unless we're holding mob wars in Central Park, I can't really expect to pull any real long shots. The Thompson would of course be my other choice. There's nothing like almost 1000 rounds a minute of .45ACP. Nothing says "Get the hell away from me" like a wall of heart-stopping lead.

Anyway. That's just my take on it. Don't take it as gospel. I wasn't there, so I don't know. But that's just ME.

LCPL Barnes, Brandon L.
USMC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy