Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Heat?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There was an episode of The Monkees wherein Mike (or Micky, my memory is fading) is firing a 1911 at some baddies and it actually runs out of ammo. One says to the other "This isn't supposed to happen on TV!"

lol

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
[
I have been noticing that on a regular basis on TV when someone is pointing a Glock at another person then the situation de-escalates and the pointer relaxes his aim that the damned stupid sound effects dope adds a decocking of the hammer sound! This from a pistol with internal hammer that the user cannot manipulate!!!:rage:

Maybe we do need a separate thread for just incorrect stuff Hollywood does with firearms, like the old fav of firing more than 6 shots with a six-shooter.:D[/QUOTE]

I totally crack up at the view of a pro/antigonist, holding his handgun up to or along side his face (makes for a good tight camera shot)and the continual cocking/chambering of a round, over and over. In an episode of "24", I counted Jack Bauer's charging his weapon five times. Not a press check that would be appropriate in any Browning pattern, or a touch check as one would do in a DA pattern, but a full RE-cocking. That little bungeling would have removed approximately one half of his usable rounds to insecurity and poor tactical presence.
To me hysterically laughing it brings a loud SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! from the family, and a ,..."can't you just shut up and enjoy?".

Any professional LEO/Agent/Dudlley, whatever, knows if his weapon is good to go, or not. If not, what he needs is some time time off without pay and remedial tactical range quals.;)
Words to live by. Every weapon is considered "hot", unless the mag is removed, and a full check of the chamber is performed to insure that it is empty. (or cylinder is opened and the ejector rod is moved to the rear, with the two middle fingers (those between the fore finger and little finger)inserted through the frame and resting on the cylinder.

What was that? Oh. It's The Classical Jazz Quartet starting up.
Gots to go.:)

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
Hey, I'm not starting a completely new thread for this but since it's gun related you ought to get it.

I have been noticing that on a regular basis on TV when someone is pointing a Glock at another person then the situation de-escalates and the pointer relaxes his aim that the damned stupid sound effects dope adds a decocking of the hammer sound! This from a pistol with internal hammer that the user cannot manipulate!!!:rage:

Maybe we do need a separate thread for just incorrect stuff Hollywood does with firearms, like the old fav of firing more than 6 shots with a six-shooter.:D

If we were to start a thread about Hollywood movie firearm mistakes, or movie mistakes in general. We'd have to start a whole new forum!

Twitch

Ah yes the old pistola check and re-check...than no one does except in movies and TV! I know the condition of every one of my arms- safety on, one in chamber of this one, clip full but needs to be chambered for firing on another, etc. A law enforcement pro always knows the status of his weapon without thinking.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
Ah yes the old pistola check and re-check...than no one does except in movies and TV! I know the condition of every one of my arms- safety on, one in chamber of this one, clip full but needs to be chambered for firing on another, etc. A law enforcement pro always knows the status of his weapon without thinking.

I started carrying weapons as part of the way I earned my daily snacks, just about 53 soon to be 54 years ago.
In that time when the weapon was magazine fed, I always downloaded one occasionally two rounds from the maximum capacity allowed by the engineers. An extremely rare thing for me was to have a failure to feed. Failure to feed means failure to fire. I am sure Martha Stewart would say that "that is a bad thing"
Failure to fire was almost always a bad (high or hard) primer, or caused by cleaning solvents intruding into the primer. I learned early on to wipe all of my rounds with a clean soft cloth.

I obsessively clean my weapons every other day when they are not fired, and immeadiately after each firing; even now in retirement when I continue to carry arms, but no longer have the pressure of daily potential for an annoying interpersonal disagreement of the permanent sort, as part of the deal. Of course it is possible but, less likely.;)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Gideon Ashe said:
Of course it is possible but, less likely.;)

In Miami? I'd say you moved from the frying pan directly into the line of fire. lol

I crack me up. I really do.

Viola said:
If anything self-defense was more highly prized then, along with greater expectation that civilians would look out for themselves and their neighbors more than now when everything is left to the police.
Don't get me wrong, I have the upmost respect for the police, I just don't think they have magic teleportation powers. I mean who really wants their murder solved?
-Viola

Considering where we live...

VI CLEAN OUT YOUR PM BOX!

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
I agree. It's hot. But that's the weather.

Story said:
In Miami? I'd say you moved from the frying pan directly into the line of fire. lol

Why do you think I have entered the line of fire, from the pan?
Florida is a shall issue state for CCW licenses and the violent personal crime rate has dropped greatly since it was established and signed into law by former Gov. Jeb Bush.
Of course I am covered by HR218 as are most other LEO's in my catagory.

Of course if one is really interested in getting involved in something of a dangerous or possible fatal nature it is possible. But mostly you have to search that out, if you are interested in a case of bulletholeria..

I live in a pretty nice and dull community, generally a place of private residences and few reasons for anyone not residing there to enter for either fun or profit. THAT would be a bad move anyway. In my street there are nine of eleven residences that are populated by former local, state or federal LEO's. The amazing part is that we all lead our own lives and never bother each other or BS about the "sunny slopes of long ago." Just the occasional "Howzit goin?"

I

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Not so intimidating, though, when you know some countermeasures. Rule of thumb is if shooter and knifer/other hand-to-hand fighter are inside 21', pistolero's got problems. Google 'Tueller Principle'.

Well, I know folks have said this, and it has become lore, but if the gun / knife is in hand objective tests generally show its the unarmed attacker who gets the owies. Try it yourself.

After all, if weapons are inefficient inside 21' ... why carry them? Disarm the police. Those armoured car guards? Remove their guns ... they'll be more effective with a few tae-kwon-do moves. Makes sense.

Gary Crumrine
Master, Kung Fu San Soo
Guro, Valencia Lameco Knife Techniques
Master Instructor (retired), Turnipseed Defensive Shooting

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
I am very VERY old school

Good to meet you Gary,

Well here are the few facts that I have been able to retain over the years.

You may or may not agree.
By the by, your MA creds are mightily impressive.
I personally am thrilled to be able to get out of my chair and limp over to the fridge. My days of aero-acrobatic martial arts moves are long gon,...wait a minute. They NEVER existed. I was a pretty fair shit-kicker bar cleaner outer though at one point in my career. THAT was not the high point of my very dearest wishes list.;)

My list of reality facts
1-Never NEVER go to a gunfight with just a handgun. The handgun(s) are for the times when you do not have the luxury of pre-planning.

2-Bring weapons, ammo, and sufficient assistance that far exceeds the precieved need.

3-Never go to an confrontation (armed or otherwise) thinking that a knife, small caliber firearm or a high degree of skill in an Asian martial art is sufficient to allow you to emerge from that confrontation as the winner.

4-Never depend on an impact weapon.(or an edged weapon)((particularly if you are in LE.))

5-Remember that you will default to your LOWEST degree of weapons skill, rather than rise to meet a challenge.

6-Remember that you are not bullet proof, and all of that crap you see on TV; that takes place in 43 minutes (the rest of the hour is for commercials)IS FICTION!!!;
it's bullshit. Getting shot hurts like hell, even if you are wearing a vest and it ruins your relationship with your family who will give you lots of love and a huge ration of crap for endangering yourself.
There are precious few "cuts and retakes" in real life. Realization of humility and humanity is pretty important. It can actually allow you to survive an armed combative confrontation

7-Anyone worth shooting is worth shooting a LOT.

8-Geeeeze! I forget the rest. (But if you can get through the first seven points, you get to make up the rest at your leisure)lol

Anyone who thinks you cannot place three to five rounds in them if they start their close quarter attack from twenty one feet and closing is a bigger fan of WWF than they are of folks like my recently departed goombah, Jim Cirillo (Master Combat Shooter Extraordinaire)((RIP))

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
CCW Shall Issue or may issue.

lol Hello again.
Florida is one of, I believe, 43 "shall issue" CCW states. The state shall(must) issue unless they can show why they shall not.
The burden is on the state to show why they wont issue.

There are other states that are "may" issue and the local or state officialdom (should be spelled official-dumb) essentially has control. Usually an idiot or incompetent PC Sherrif or left wing Police Chief has the yea or nay over wether a CCW License/permit is given.

All honorably retired LEO's are subject to the rules of HR218, which allows them to qualify officially once a year and recieve a permit that allows them to carry concealed weapons anywhere in the nation without having to satisfy the firearms licensing requirements laws of individual states; with certain restrictions do apply and are (Aircraft and Schools come to mind. There are others) governed mostly by common sense and prudence.

I am sorry for your place or residence. California is a beautiful state, and I have enjoyed visiting there on several occasisons, however I could no more reside there than I could in New York or Mass., Ct. or the other states in the N.E.quadrant. Too bolshevik in their attitudes for me. That's not politics is it?lol lol lol

Have a lovely day.

Gary Crumrine said:
Well, I know folks have said this, and it has become lore, but if the gun / knife is in hand objective tests generally show its the unarmed attacker who gets the owies. Try it yourself.

After all, if weapons are inefficient inside 21' ... why carry them? Disarm the police. Those armoured car guards? Remove their guns ... they'll be more effective with a few tae-kwon-do moves. Makes sense.

Gary, wasn't saying they were totally useless, just get uglier than outside. Gun-in-hand, Tueller doesn't apply--it's the "two-second draw-aim-fire versus two-second knifer-rush" race.

Just that your sidearm isn't always the optimal tool, and sometimes you need a way to buy time to complete that "draw-aim-ready to fire" cycle. That, and to be more watchful of closer contacts--I start ratcheting up my alert levels at 30 ("outer perimeter"), 21 ("middle"), 10 ("inner") and 5' ("barrier"/"point-defense"; most intensive tracking until the 5' line is re-exited) range.

Gideon, the late Mr. Cirillo and I have some mutual acquaintances, he's another I wish I coulda studied under.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Gary, wasn't saying they were totally useless, just get uglier than outside. Gun-in-hand, Tueller doesn't apply--it's the "two-second draw-aim-fire versus two-second knifer-rush" race.

Just that your sidearm isn't always the optimal tool, and sometimes you need a way to buy time to complete that "draw-aim-ready to fire" cycle.

Your sidearm is NEVER the optimum tool. It is the last ditch reliance tool. Except for your back-up pistol. That's the last LAST ditch reliance tool.lol
It (your pistol) is for that time when you have been too lazy to plan, or have been confronted by an imponderable. It is NOT a first choice. If you have time you get your 870 or whatever it is you carry.;)

As a fleeting thought, the person running headlong towards me with a knife in his hand and who has satisfied my threat indicator as deadly in intent, actually may get close enough to me to inflict a cut on the part of my body I allow him to have, while I draw and fire little bits of metal into him at very high velocity. Such a person is surely called a Tweaker, or a Duster, or a Jihadi or some other appelation signifying a diminished capacity.
He is never called clever, a martial artist, or marginally smart. Most likely he will also be spoken of in the past tense. I, however, will have more stitches in this old frame and a LOT of discussion with my attorney and physician.
Hell. I hurt all the time anywaylol

That, and to be more watchful of closer contacts--I start ratcheting up my alert levels at 30 ("outer perimeter"), 21 ("middle"), 10 ("inner") and 5' ("barrier"/"point-defense"; most intensive tracking until the 5' line is re-exited) range.

lol Yes. Be polite and considerate to everyone you meet and plan about you can take him out with dispatch and little exertion.:)

Gideon, the late Mr. Cirillo and I have some mutual acquaintances, he's another I wish I coulda studied under.

You would have had to go to Marana, in Arizona or Glynco, in Georgia for that in later years.
I am not sure if he was associated with any private firms. Maybe one in Washington State. He was pretty ill with Deer Tick fever and had to retire.
I'm not sure. He certainly was a character and a naturally raukas and funny guy. I recall him causing me to have minestrone exit through my nostrils(gross) while we were having lunch. lol lol
He was the gentlest of men, and decent in all things.
It seems that the "real" warriors that I have met, have all been fairly much the same. Well read. Decent. Animal lovers, good musically or with drawing, and pretty good cooks.
I ought to do a paper on that.:)
Have a VERY good day.

Twitch

Gideon, if you live in certain areas California is heaven. I have long ago given up on politics and politicians- they're all slime- so you ain't commenting politically. And I have always carried illegally when I have deemed it appropriate so I don't really care any more.;)

A. G. Geiger

New in Town
I'm pretty interested in tis. But a vintage raygun bould be better. I prefer four foot arcs to flaming led.
arm_blaster_1.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
A. G. Geiger said:
I'm pretty interested in tis. But a vintage raygun bould be better. I prefer four foot arcs to flaming led.

To paraphrase Jim Malone, it's just like a Martian to bring a Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator to a gunfight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy