Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Heat?

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
I wholeheartedly agree!

carebear said:
jovan,

It isn't "joking" in terms of taking such things lightly, but rather use of humor to keep horrible, yet sometimes necessary, things from too negatively psychologically impacting the innocent party.

No one disputes that taking a life, even perfectly justifiably, is never a happy thing, but, assuming it is justifaiable and necessary, a little disassociation through humor can make the mechanics a little easier to deal with.

Trust me, you don't want the actual physiological effects of a CNS shot detailed, a little euphemism can be a good thing.

I was an EMT for a local volunteer service for 9 years, I have performed CPR on more "hopeless" patients en route to the hospital than I can count on one hand. Humor is the only thing you can use to get through and be able to go on the next call! Ask any EMT.

Gun stores in Los Angeles used to be almost museums. Now that all such good things have been made safe by banishment, online virtual museums must make do for that "gee-whiz, lookit that" feeling.

http://www.horstheld.com/default.htm
Never heard of this:
http://www.horstheld.com/0-Hammond.htm
Reminicent of Webly-Fosbery?
http://www.littlegun.be/arme allemande/mauser/a mauser revolver gb.htm
http://www.horstheld.com/0-Mauser.htm
Quite a gallery:
http://www.horstheld.com/0-sold.htm
Got to love this fellow:
http://www.littlegun.be/ma_collection/a a liste ma collection gb.htm
Oh, to own a Kolibri:
http://www.horstheld.com/0-Kolibri.htm

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
P.I.'s carrying a Python in .38spl.

Viola said:
I know you can put .38 in .357s (I'm planning on buying one in a couple months, not a Colt though) but I was just musing over the myriad pulp stories and mysteries I've read, which are a guilty pleasure of mine, which specify Python in .38 for your stock semi-alcoholic divorced PI with a hard past and harder fists.

Whether such a model was actually popular, I have no idea.

-Viola

Actually the Python in .38spl, is a Colt Diamondback. Smalled frame, lousier double action trigger pull.
The Python can accept and fire .38spls in any loading configuration, but is essentially chambered for the .357 magnum, as an answer to the commercially successful Smith & Wesson Model 27.

I carried one for a day. It (the Python) was heavy, unweildly and with a looooong trigger pull on double. I traded it for a 3 1/2 inch S&W Model 27, which I carried on duty in uniform for years. Off duty I carried the department mandated **S&W Chiefs Special** (.38spl) or Colt Detective <Dick>Special/Cobra Lightweight (.38spl).

Sometimes writers ought to improve their craft by making the acquaintance and buying a drink for a former cop who can give a little better accuracy in the equipment area of their stories.;)

accuracy in the equipment area

Gideon Ashe said:
Sometimes writers ought to improve their craft by making the acquaintance and buying a drink for a former cop who can give a little better accuracy in the equipment area of their stories.;)
Think of the static I got when at a Hollywood Motion Picture Ad Agency and mentioned how I didn't think left-handed SMLE 303s were made (their photo was flopped for one sheet poster composition sake).

Once saw a PBS history program which portrayed Martini era British troops armed with much later SMLE longarms. Incongruous.

Still missing the Stembridge gun room.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
With respect,...

carebear said:
Accuracy within effective range (couple hundred yards) has little to do with barrel length. Shorter slides just lead to shorter sight radii, make it harder to aim accurately.

You mean a couple of yards. Rather than a couple of hundred yards.
If you can accruately shoot a 1911, or ANY other handgun (revolver or semi auto) that well, you are going to be a very, VERY wealthy fellow, fellow.

Springfield Armory has a new 1911 pattern sized down to fit the 9mm cartridge. Looks like a winner.

Unless the Springer you are refering to is a .38 Super and is going to be used for 9X23 conversion, it is just another workable nine. The 1911 pattern is best in .45acp or .38 super. Now if, IF, I had a Springer, off it would go to one of the LTW crew for a full makeover.;)

Talkin' firearms. That is the way to spend a day or a month.

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
...it seems I've been drawing again. At any rate, I have one of these (tragically, the PC version) and love it. At short range, I don't think anything beats a .45ACP, be it in pistol or carbine - save perhaps a load of 00 buckshot.

displayiizy2.jpg

Mmmmm...technical drawings....:D

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gideon Ashe said:
What is a Smith & Wesson "Registered" Magnum, please?:)

When Smith first introduced the .357 in '35 they didn't give it a model number, they were know as "registered magnums". After they gained in popularity, the Model 27 was introduced in '40 (IIRC) and the "registered" designation went away.

The registered guns command a premium nowadays as they are pre-war masterpieces of design.

http://www.registeredmagnum.com/page_10.html

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
An "RM" if you can afford it.

Gideon Ashe said:
What is a Smith & Wesson "Registered" Magnum, please?:)

If you still have an interest in a S&W pre-Model 27 "Registered Magnum" albeit with someone elses numbers on the crane, Old Town Station has one like the Model 27 3 1/2inch I used to own/carry, for a low, LOW $7,500. (in blue @ 90%) It was ordered, purchased by and one would think, and "Registered" to/by the Chief Curator of the New York Museum of Natural History(circa 1940)

Can you see a Museum Director in NYC carrying a S&W .357mag around these days?:D

Story

I'll Lock Up
Gideon Ashe said:
Can you see a Museum Director in NYC carrying a S&W .357mag around these days?:D

Considering that the Sullivan Law took effect in 1911, I wonder what the number of per-capita permits issued in 1940 were versus today?

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Sorry, Miss Viola--personal term. Brainstem shot, the swiftest, cleanest kill possible. The catch is, you're trying to hit a target about the size of a large walnut. Hit it, though, and it's lights-out, "Say goodnight, Gracie" time...

Hi General,
Nice to meet you.
And of course, Miss Vi.(I am somewhat sure that you will read this)

You Sir, appear to be very well read and/or practised in the "American Martial Art".
Have you been to any of the centers? Gunsight, et al?

Miss Viola,
If you are interested in doing more than "spraying and praying" expensive rounds and hoping to learn by breathing the range's atmosphere what can only be taught by skilled instructors; allow me to suggest you find an IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) chapter near you for sound advice and excellent instruction.
The more expensive training centers may be to your taste and pocketbook later, IF you discover that you are hooked on shooting; The American Martial Art.:)

Gideon, first: welcome aboard. Second, let me point out that while I style myself after General MacArthur, I make no claim of the title myself (I haven't earned it--and being six inches short doesn't help eitherlol ).

Most of my applied knowledge is from considerable study myself in anatomy/physiology and neurobiology (I have a copy of the old Gray's Anatomy at my bedside for study every night), to be honest, although I will cite Ayoob's writings as a heavy influence even in spite of no formal training. (LFI and Thunder Ranch are both on the to-do list someday... how I wish I could have studied with Col. Cooper!) That, and considerable trial-and-error on the range. I don't truly claim expertise, other than three points of (believed) wisdom:
1. Read everything you can about the field, whether you agree with it or not; test concepts to see if they work for you and your physical condition on the range, and when you find things that work drill on 'em till you do 'em without even having to consciously think about the steps. Easily 70% or more of successful self-defense comes in the library, before the fight.
2. A great deal of meditation is strongly advised on the subject of how far you are willing to go to protect yourself and your loved ones: "If I have to to protect my life or the lives of my loved ones, am I willing to take the life of someone who would harm me or them?" If the answer is not a "Yes", carrying a firearm is probably not for you. I'd say this "Combat Mindset" meditation is another 20% of successful self-defense.
3. Test, test, TEST. Not every technique or doctrine is right for everyone; what works for your range-buddy in an "applied" situation may be a Reapergram for you. Far better to find out if a technique suits you when your life ISN'T riding on the outcome, right? And keep re-testing; as you age or things happen to you, you may need to reevaluate your technique from time to time.

Registered Magnum, hmm? You had expensive tastes, sir... (I'm looking for a current-production way to build a "clone" of Patton's RM myself, even though I'm primarily a 1911ista.)

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Gideon, first: welcome aboard. Second, let me point out that while I style myself after General MacArthur, I make no claim of the title myself (I haven't earned it--and being six inches short doesn't help eitherlol ).

Thank you for the warm welcome. I do appreciate it.

Most of my applied knowledge is from considerable study myself in anatomy/physiology and neurobiology (I have a copy of the old Gray's Anatomy at my bedside for study every night), to be honest, although I will cite Ayoob's writings as a heavy influence even in spite of no formal training. (LFI and Thunder Ranch are both on the to-do list someday... how I wish I could have studied with Col. Cooper!) That, and considerable trial-and-error on the range. I don't truly claim expertise, other than three points of (believed) wisdom:

I am more of a Jim Cirrllo guy.(He passed last week in a freak auto accident
near his home in upstate NY)
We were instructors at the same time at FLETC and lunched at the mess hall frequently as well as shot OPA (other peoples ammo)at the range. I will miss him.
Just never thought the paper expert Reserve Policeman from a very small Northeastern town; almost village was the guy to tell me how to survive on those mean streets of Blatheringham Township.;)

1. Read everything you can about the field, whether you agree with it or not; test concepts to see if they work for you and your physical condition on the range, and when you find things that work drill on 'em till you do 'em without even having to consciously think about the steps. Easily 70% or more of successful self-defense comes in the library, before the fight.

Exactly what I did as a much younger man, while being taught by some very tough and very practical instructors.

2. A great deal of meditation is strongly advised on the subject of how far you are willing to go to protect yourself and your loved ones: "If I have to to protect my life or the lives of my loved ones, am I willing to take the life of someone who would harm me or them?" If the answer is not a "Yes", carrying a firearm is probably not for you. I'd say this "Combat Mindset" meditation is another 20% of successful self-defense.

I was never much for "zoning". I carried weapons for my living every day and had some particularly nasty "clients" as they are now called. The olny mind games for me was that if I had to, utilizing deadly force was not even a mild consideration.3. Test, test, TEST. Not every technique or doctrine is right for everyone; what works for your range-buddy in an "applied" situation may be a Reapergram for you. Far better to find out if a technique suits you when your life ISN'T riding on the outcome, right? And keep re-testing; as you age or things happen to you, you may need to reevaluate your technique from time to time.

Too true. Unfortunately many agencies and departments are not very concerned with individual techniques. They are more in touch with trying to reach a default level of skill for EVERYONE. As an individual I can do very well. When I use an agency technique my "paper numbers" drop. I do find that IDPA, even with certain restrictions is probable the best general whetstone for shooting skills that I have come across.

Registered Magnum, hmm? You had expensive tastes, sir... (I'm looking for a current-production way to build a "clone" of Patton's RM myself, even though I'm primarily a 1911ista.)

I dont know where you will find the parts for that project easily or inexpensively. You might check with Bowen Classic. They have parts for sale.
Not me. My old S&W Model 27, 3 1/2in was a production model. Not an "RM". That reference was for someone else herein.

I too am a fan of the 1911. I have both a full Government model, pre-1965, and an Commander(Lightweight) that I bought in 1966 or 67. Both in .45acp.
Both have been made over by LTW smiths. I usually (read everyday)carry a Birdsonged Browning P-35 (9x19mm), that has been totally reworked by Ted Yost.
I use Alessi and DelFatti leather for the belt and IWB by Milt Sparks.
One extra mag and a Surefire completes the package. I no longer use a backup piece being obsolete and un-employed(retired)and pretty much useless.

I have a BS day ahead of me, so I had better sign off. Have an excellent day and watch that front sight.:)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, I'm not starting a completely new thread for this but since it's gun related you ought to get it.

I have been noticing that on a regular basis on TV when someone is pointing a Glock at another person then the situation de-escalates and the pointer relaxes his aim that the damned stupid sound effects dope adds a decocking of the hammer sound! This from a pistol with internal hammer that the user cannot manipulate!!!:rage:

Maybe we do need a separate thread for just incorrect stuff Hollywood does with firearms, like the old fav of firing more than 6 shots with a six-shooter.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy