Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Heat?

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Story said:
You may have missed these threads:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=265658#post265658
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=281391#post281391
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3427

Remember that there were some pre-war social prejudices, where automatics were considered 'gangster guns' and law enforcement mostly stuck with issued revolvers.

The .357 was developed in 1935 and offered in Smith & Wesson's large frame revolvers. As far as the pulp/noir writers were concerned, "Python" sounded better than a S&W model number.

Maybe a bit of clarification is in order.... The links discuss more or less discuss concealed carry (which I will not comment on as political discussion is banned); my question probably should have been phrased,

"Which firearms best exemplify/typify The Golden Age?"

mikepara

Practically Family
Crazy gunmen

I carried a rifle or 9mm pistol most of my adult working life. So am not a rabid anti gun guy.

Seems strange to me though, that as the bodies of the 33 youths 'executed' at campus in the US are bearly cold that anyone would wish to discuss guns.

Defending the right to arm Bears.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
mikepara said:
I carried a rifle or 9mm pistol most of my adult working life. So am not a rabid anti gun guy.

Seems strange to me though, that as the bodies of the 33 youths 'executed' at campus in the US are bearly cold that anyone would wish to discuss guns.

Defending the right to arm Bears.

Well said:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I wondered too.

Story

I'll Lock Up
mikepara said:

Actually, it makes alot of sense - some people will exercise their 2nd Amendment Right and start the process of arming themselves against lunatics.

Defending the right not to be a victim.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
And the lunatics have to arm themselves with semiautomatic rifles and artillery in order to be stronger - and more "lunatic" - than the so called normal people.
And then the normal people gets really scared and some of them becomes lunatics, who believes that the only way to solve any problem, any threath - real or unreal - is with weapon in hand. It never ends.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
And the the ..

Specious logic on your part, off topic for this thread and probably treading into the "political" arena. Please start another thread if you want, so this one doesn't get locked.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Plain old Dave- it's a toss up between the Colt .45 1911 and the S&W or Colt police .38 revolver. The .45 was used by gangsters from the 20s on throught the 30s but many swore by their .38s.

If you are pondering a costumery event I'd go with the .45 as a gangster or the .38 if you wish to portray a detective or Indiana Jone type.:)

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Story said:
Specious logic on your part, off topic for this thread and probably treading into the "political" arena. Please start another thread if you want, so this one doesn't get locked.

Agreed. On that note, I have a couple of nominees for the shotgun class:

Winchester Model 97 Trench Gun
Winchester Model 12 Riot Gun

Twitch said:
If you are pondering a costumery event I'd go with the .45 as a gangster or the .38 if you wish to portray a detective or Indiana Jone type.
I'd tote my .32-20 Smith and Wesson for the gangster ( 'et .32-20'll shewt rat thru a man) or my New Service for IJ type things...

The .32-20 revolver should be on the list as well. In the hills of East TN, .32-20 outsold almost every other pistol caliber up til the early 1960s and you STILL find old timers that will swear on anything you put in front of them a .32-20 "shoots harder" than any other pistol ever made...

Spitfire said:
And the lunatics have to arm themselves with semiautomatic rifles and artillery in order to be stronger - and more "lunatic" - than the so called normal people. And then the normal people gets really scared and some of them becomes lunatics, who believes that the only way to solve any problem, any threath - real or unreal - is with weapon in hand. It never ends.
One out of every ten people is nuts, maybe a little, maybe alot and maybe waiting for the right nudge to go off the deep end. This still means 9 out of ten aren't nuts but are plan old hard working honest people who should be trusted.

Remember nearly all of the times that an honest armed citizen has stopped a crime from happening rarely gets reported in the news.

I think back to a time when the Isralies were having problems with attacks on schools and school children, the government trained and armed the teachers and the administration. Amazing result, attacks on schools stopped.

Still to this day the largest number of people killed by an irate individual was i believe in NJ and involved no guns what so ever. After having problems at a night club a guy shows up with a couple of gallons of gas and sets fire to the night club while people partied inside. Because of people having snuck in thru the emergency exits previously, the owner had them chained shut, and pretty much everyone died while trying to get out the front door. Don't remember the exact number but it was at least 2 to 3 times more than at the college. The moral of the story is a motivated person with hatred or a total lack of conscience or empathy for other human beings can do alot of damage and kill a lot of people with many ordinary items, especially gasoline.

We have suicide by cop out here, somebody despondent, by their actions forces the police to open fire and kill them. Horrible thing to happen.

The sad thing is just how some people when tormented or troubled decides that they are going to lash out and innocent people become the target. What addresses this type of rage or dispair?

At the Virginia college the news reported that the young man showed signs of problems, what steps were taken to help him and head this off?

When it comes to blame it is the person that took the action that is at the core of the problem.

Feraud

Bartender
John in Covina said:
Brass knuckles and straight razors?
carebear said:
Roll of nickles and a busted beer bottle?
Ah, drinking jewelry.

John in Covina said:
When it comes to blame it is the person that took the action that is at the core of the problem.
Btw, Not everyone shares the viewpoint of individuals being responsible for themselves. This AP article would have us believe and accept the world clamors for us to disarm because of the action of an individual.

Story

I'll Lock Up
An Irish Haiku

Brass knuckles and straight razors?
Roll of nickles and a busted beer bottle?
Ah, drinking jewelry.

rofl.gif

Meanwhile, back at the Topic:
http://www.texasranger.org/dispatch/18/Ask_Dispatch/Ask_Dispatch.htm
I wonder if you can tell me if there were any standard-issue guns for the Texas Rangers during the 1920s and 1930s. I know many Rangers carried their own privately acquired guns, but I seem to remember a list of side arms and long arms that were issued to those that didn't provide their own weapons. Can you help me with this question?
Many thanks!
Sincerely
Hans Vortisch

The State issued "standard" firearms to Texas Rangers only after the formation of Texas DPS in 1935. Prior to that time, Rangers were usually required to supply their own arms and ammunition. If they could not do so, the state sometimes "sold" the Rangers sidearms and rifles through payroll deduction. We also know of several instances in which Rangers arranged to purchase weapons through local sheriffs’ or police departments.
After 1935, most Rangers still preferred to provide their own arms. Prior to the 1950s Texas DPS records regarding equipment distribution are extremely rare, and we are currently unaware of any such lists covering the 1920s and 1930s.
Good luck with your search.
Tracie Evans
Collections Manager

It seems to me I recall that the Colt Peacemaker and similar single action revolvers were staples of law enforcement int the West long after other areas had retired those guns. 45 Long Colt packs a wallop.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Story said:
Meanwhile, back at the Topic:
http://www.texasranger.org/dispatch/18/Ask_Dispatch/Ask_Dispatch.htm
I wonder if you can tell me if there were any standard-issue guns for the Texas Rangers during the 1920s and 1930s. I know many Rangers carried their own privately acquired guns, but I seem to remember a list of side arms and long arms that were issued to those that didn't provide their own weapons. Can you help me with this question?
Many thanks!
Sincerely
Hans Vortisch

The State issued "standard" firearms to Texas Rangers only after the formation of Texas DPS in 1935. Prior to that time, Rangers were usually required to supply their own arms and ammunition. If they could not do so, the state sometimes "sold" the Rangers sidearms and rifles through payroll deduction. We also know of several instances in which Rangers arranged to purchase weapons through local sheriffs’ or police departments.
After 1935, most Rangers still preferred to provide their own arms. Prior to the 1950s Texas DPS records regarding equipment distribution are extremely rare, and we are currently unaware of any such lists covering the 1920s and 1930s.
Good luck with your search.
Tracie Evans
Collections Manager

Well, per period pictures and the display at the Texas Ranger Museum at San Antonio, here's a few common ones:

Smith and Wesson Heavy Duty
Colt New Service
Winchester 1907 & 1910
Winchester Model 95 (amazingly enough, there was even one on display in .270)
Colt SAA
Browning Auto-5 (not sure of the period designation)
Remington Model 81

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
Plain old Dave- it's a toss up between the Colt .45 1911 and the S&W or Colt police .38 revolver. The .45 was used by gangsters from the 20s on throught the 30s but many swore by their .38s.

If you are pondering a costumery event I'd go with the .45 as a gangster or the .38 if you wish to portray a detective or Indiana Jone type.:)

The city or state agency probably would supply their officers with firearms so there was a "cost" issue involved. the "gangsters" bought their own so they would get the best they could. The Thompson SMG was offered to police and the military first but was refused till they were offered to the public, the "gangster" element bought them up and then the authorities took a lot closer look. Thompson even ran ads talking of how you could defend your property from wild animals with a Thompson.

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Vintage Heat

Remington 11
Browning A-5
Ithaca Auto Burglar
Savage 99 (Take Down version)
Winchester 1894 - popular with Police
Winchester 1907
Winchester 1910
1921 Colt Thompson
1928 Thompson
Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR)
Remington Model 8
Colt Monitor - BAR variant
1903 Colt .32s & .380s
Colt 1911 - .45 ACP & .38 Super *

Almost any World War One era service pistol or revolver.

* Colt 1911s in .38 Super were popular with law enforcement and gangsters because they could penetrate steel auto bodies and 1930s bullet proof vests of the era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic