Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Heat?

Jovan

Suspended
If you want truly vintage 1911 heat, get one with diamond grips. Colt removed them with the onset of the M1911A1 revision, but many people still make, like, and use them. I think even a few of the manufacturers in WWII still made them with those grips.

Jovan said:
If you want truly vintage 1911 heat, get one with diamond grips. Colt removed them with the onset of the M1911A1 revision, but many people still make, like, and use them. I think even a few of the manufacturers in WWII still made them with those grips.

Yeah, I have quite a few a guy I bought some WWII grips from just gave me, and I'm thinking about putting up a classified here and/or over on the 1911 boards just giving 'em away.

Jovan

Suspended
I don't own one, but I'd certainly like a set if you're giving any away. :) I plan to get one in the future, after I turn 21. No other pistol I fired on the range felt quite as solid.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jovan said:
I don't own one, but I'd certainly like a set if you're giving any away. :) I plan to get one in the future, after I turn 21. No other pistol I fired on the range felt quite as solid.

There is wisdom in this one....

:D

carebear

JohnTheGreek said:
I think are images online of Bonnie and Clyde's weapon stash and they are entertaining. I seem to remember a sawed off Browning Auto-5 Mare's leg shotgun that would be neat to reproduce if one could get the federal licensing to do it. :) John

It's only a few hundred bucks for the tax stamp and the cost of the work.

Short barreled rifles and shotguns are actually the best deal going on NFA firearms.

Me? I want some suppressors.

On topic, suppressors were included in the 1934 Nat'l Firearms Act due to politics, called "gangster devices". Before that travesty of law they were simply seen (and marketed) as devices to allow shooting without damaging your hearing.

Now we have folks who live near ranges complaining of the noise and generations of shooters saying "huh?" :rolleyes:

Jovan

Suspended
Well, I also like the Glock for lower calibres. I haven't yet shot a Beretta, but held many and liked how they felt.

The other "vintage heat" I've fired is a Mauser Kar98k rifle converted to 243 (?) Winchester load. Thing kicked HARD, probably because of the cartridge it now uses. But working the bolt action and using the classic style scope that was mounted on it was a blast.

Jovan said:

[voice=Yoda]Good taste in weapons have you, young Padawan.[/voice] I shall set a pair aside for you as soon as I dig 'em out--gimme a couple weeks, then shoot a PM with your addy and I'll get 'em on their way as soon as I can. (Next couple weeks I've got research work to do while offline.)

And, I'd argue Glocks have a place. If you need to pass your backup over to someone as a backup-shooter, carrying a mini-Glock cuts your lecture down to "Point, click, bang. This side toward the enemy..."

Fullsize 1911s are my tools of choice, but I have a confidence deficiency toward the Officers Model for some reason.

carebear

Jovan said:
Haha.

Well Para-Ordnance makes small 1911 based pistols. Not sure how accurate .45ACP would be with a shorter barrel, though they do make 9mm L-P models.

Accuracy within effective range (couple hundred yards) has little to do with barrel length. Shorter slides just lead to shorter sight radii, make it harder to aim accurately.

Springfield Armory has a new 1911 pattern sized down to fit the 9mm cartridge. Looks like a winner.

Yeah, I thought about Para doublestacks for my frames, but they were a little too thick for my hands when I tried out the range rentals, and I'm having to redesign the frames some to accommodate my particular shooting style. (Imagine the standard 1911, but ejecting out the left and the safety on the right, and you have a good idea of what I'm planning for my "left iron". Right would be mirror-imaged except the magazine catch.)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I can't find lessons for revolvers or rifles or shotguns around here, only semi-automatic pistols. And those classes that teach you not to point at anything you don't intend to destroy, which I'm not dismissing or anything, its just... I do already know basic safety, and I don't want to pay three hundred dollars for that.

So I think I'm just going to get the revolver I want and go to the range and just blow through an incredible amount of ammunition until I don't suck anymore. :D

The Glocks I held all had that double-stack grip and that just doesn't work for my hands, not even kind of.

-Viola

carebear

Diamondback said:
Yeah, I thought about Para doublestacks for my frames, but they were a little too thick for my hands when I tried out the range rentals, and I'm having to redesign the frames some to accommodate my particular shooting style. (Imagine the standard 1911, but ejecting out the left and the safety on the right, and you have a good idea of what I'm planning for my "left iron". Right would be mirror-imaged except the magazine catch.)

Randall made those, I think Mile High armory had parts for a while.

Are you going to CNC your own receiver and slide?

carebear

Viola said:
I can't find lessons for revolvers or rifles or shotguns around here, only semi-automatic pistols. And those classes that teach you not to point at anything you don't intend to destroy, which I'm not dismissing or anything, its just... I do already know basic safety, and I don't want to pay three hundred dollars for that.

So I think I'm just going to get the revolver I want and go to the range and just blow through an incredible amount of ammunition until I don't suck anymore. :D

The Glocks I held all had that double-stack grip and that just doesn't work for my hands, not even kind of.

-Viola

Go to

http://womenandguns.servertalk.in/womenandguns.html

and

http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

and post a question asking for leads to trainers. You'll get all sorts of help.

You might mention carebear gave you the lead. Some of the ladies know me.

carebear said:
Randall made those, I think Mile High armory had parts for a while.

Are you going to CNC your own receiver and slide?

that's the plan, but mine are a little different than Randall, which was a "straight mirror-image", I'm going to a "dual-plunger-tube" arrangement with the slidestop and ejection on one side, safety on the opposite. (If you didn't see my post @THR, I use my trigger-finger--I'm a southpaw--to work both mag-catch and slide-release, I plan to use an ambi-release on the right-hand version so I don't have the magazine problem of the Randalls.)

J

JohnTheGreek

carebear said:
It's only a few hundred bucks for the tax stamp and the cost of the work.

Short barreled rifles and shotguns are actually the best deal going on NFA firearms.

Me? I want some suppressors.

Of course if someone wanted to be authentic, the work wouldn't cost anything. Buy a basket case Auto-5, with the traditional bulged barrell from steel shot and trashed wood, and cut her on down (AFTER getting the permits of course!).

I also agree that SBR and SBS are the best deals around, naturally because they can still be made unlike full-auto sears. I'd much rather spend $600 for a Short Barrelled Shotgun than $5K-$10K (or more) for a full-auto that isn't near as cheap to feed.

I also think we've forgotten "Any other weapons" (AOWs). These are things like pen-guns, cane guns and smooth bore pistols. The transfer tax is only $5on these and the category includes pump action 12 guage pistols. Imagine a new model 12 repro cut down to the end of the mag tube and a pistol grip. The down side is, the weapon must NEVER have been a full length rifle or shotgun to qualify for the $5 rather than $200 tax stamp. Given that, you are practically limited to Remington who still makes 12" and 14" 870s in the "witness protection" tradition. I also think there may be folks out there still making 20 bore auto-burglar repros that would fit the $5 category.

Best,

John

Jovan

Suspended
How long ago did you handle the Para-Ord? In the last few years they slimmed down the handle even more and redesigned the extractor to have less feeding problems - one of the few misgivings of the original M1911 design.

My experience with Para was a couple years ago, extraction wasn't an issue--granted, I was shooting a fullsize P14 (single-action only, of course)--I may have to run a test on one with grips removed sometime, if the rangemaster'll let me.

They just lost their big creative guy recently, too.:(

EDITED TO ADD: Other than Jovan and the other fellow who've already contacted me, please wait until I put up a post in Classifieds to express interest--I don't know how many or what all I've got, and I need some time to round 'em all up and get some pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes