Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Vintage) Hook and Eye Closures for Coats?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a lovely cream colored coat with a leopard collar that is perfect for winter, but it is one of those unfortunate vintage garments that closes with large snaps rather than buttons. The idea behind the snaps, I assume, is that they are hidden. Buttons would break up the line of the coat. Anyway, the thread keeps unraveling and the snaps fall off. So I was thinking I'd have some hook and eye closures put in - the big ones meant for outerwear. Any idea where I would get them? Or any other ideas for keeping the coat closed without adding visible buttons? I'll have to have my tailor do it since I can't sew.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
AH, I came to the same situation with a belt I put on one of my coats. You can get hook/eye closures pretty much at any fabric store. Larger fabric stores will have larger ones. I have seen them as large as an inch!

Or you could use the hook/eyes closures they use on slacks. The flatter ones lay better in coats, but require a bit more handling when putting on/taking off the coat.

As far as vintage ones, you may just want to stick with modern ones. No one will see them anyway.

Good luck and post pics of how it looks ;)

LD

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
AH, I came to the same situation with a belt I put on one of my coats. You can get hook/eye closures pretty much at any fabric store. Larger fabric stores will have larger ones. I have seen them as large as an inch!

Or you could use the hook/eyes closures they use on slacks. The flatter ones lay better in coats, but require a bit more handling when putting on/taking off the coat.

As far as vintage ones, you may just want to stick with modern ones. No one will see them anyway.

Good luck and post pics of how it looks ;)

LD

I haven't found a fabric store around here yet. Guess I'll have to do that.

Elaina

One Too Many
And when all else fails, since the closest place to me is 30 some odd miles away that carry them large like that, is online.

Also, since you're sending it to a tailor, see if the cost of the hardware can/is included in the cost of alteration.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
You may also want to check thrift stores for a coat you can take them off of. I have bought skirt hooks at Walmart before.. think that's what they're called? Perhaps you could also sew frog closures to the inside of the coat? Would be hard to fuss with tho!
Would love to see your coat!

Here's some coat hooks but don't know how big they are?
http://www.denverfabrics.com/Mercha...de=DA0022&Category_Code=DA-a&Product_Count=10

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner