Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Ice Cubes

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
You guys talking about spending a week to make the perfect ice cube have ISSUES. lol
Well, I think the perfect, crystal clear ice cube is a little over the top, but cubes that stay whole and don't shatter is another. I think cubes that stay whole might keep the drink cold with diluting quite so fast, n'est ce pas?

Miss Brill

One Too Many
scotrace said:
They just plug up anyway. :(

My last one had an ice maker & it worked the whole time I had it (about 13 years). This one is a different brand--a Kenmore. The last one was a...a...I don't remember. :( A Magic Chef? Or was that my old washer? Maybe it was a KitchenAid. I looked at it every day for 13 years & can't remember the name? [huh]

Decodence

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
Well, I think the perfect, crystal clear ice cube is a little over the top, but cubes that stay whole and don't shatter is another. I think cubes that stay whole might keep the drink cold with diluting quite so fast, n'est ce pas?
A cube which shatters will actually cool a drink faster, and keep it colder. It is a function of surface area, not mass.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Miss Brill said:
My last one had an ice maker & it worked the whole time I had it (about 13 years). This one is a different brand--a Kenmore. The last one was a...a...I don't remember. :( A Magic Chef? Or was that my old washer? Maybe it was a KitchenAid. I looked at it every day for 13 years & can't remember the name? [huh]
No kidding. I don't presently have an icemaker at my 80-year old home because I haven't bothered to buy a fridge with one, nor run a ice maker line, but that is both easy, and the 20-some years I/my family had fridges with ice makers, they never once clogged up.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I have a couple of those trays that came with my husband's grandfather's Hotpoint fridge. Here is a pic of the inside of that fridge- you can see one in the "freezer" compartment at the top. I think you can fit about four cube trays in that freezer and nothing else!

100_1543.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
Decodence said:
A cube which shatters will actually cool a drink faster, and keep it colder. It is a function of surface area, not mass.

But, it will dilute your fine hootch much faster, as dhermann1 said

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Put Koolaid inside and then cover the tray with saurian wrap. Then poke tooth picks into each column and freeze it over night. You'll have yourself ice cube popsicles. Even more, add a little alcohol for a party. :)

cowboy76

Suspended
MB5 said:
This is the best Ice tray I have ever used. Just lift up on the lever, pull out the separator and dump the cubes. I was concerned about freezing my hand to the tray at first, but it has not been an issue.
I also have a Frigidaire Ice Ejector that uses a similar system, but don't use it for fear of shattering the plastic cube container.
In the top right of the first photo you can see part of a Swing-A-Way cube crusher.

Does anyone else have vintage Ice trays?

ice1.JPG

ice2.JPG

Holy cow,...I'm only 31 and I grew up with them,....Lord, they were still around in the 1980s even,....its so weird to hear someone be amazed by those,.....

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'm in the process of looking for aluminum ice cube trays, since my plastic ones are falling apart. I'd prefer to get vintage ones instead of new ones. Those of you who have them - is there anything in particular one should look for? There are so many different ones out there - different numbers of cubes, different shapes, double wide trays, double decker trays...

Also, they're not stackable, right? For those of you with metal trays, what do you do to conserve space?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I just got two metal trays that make small, thin cubes. They make a ton of cubes, too. I LOVE these trays. They froze completely in a mere 2 hours and are very easy to use. Thanks to the tips here, I had no problems lifting the handles to release the cubes or with the ice cracking or breaking up. My plastic trays are promptly going in the trash.

fa15_1.JPG

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
I lost these by 1¢ (intentionally). I wasnt paying the price PLUS $12 for shipping!

I've seen several sets pop up, so I imagine they can be had for a fair price!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24