Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage in SoCal?

Miss Madly

New in Town
I'm about to do a couple of weeks in California and will be looking for vintage finds for me and my gent. Would love to hear about extra ordinary shops in San Francisco or LA area, do know any?

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I recommend checking out Jake Vintage in Los Angeles. Strictly vintage menswear, everything is top notch and in great condition.

www.jakevintage.com
EVERYTHING'S JAKE
4644 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Feliz, CA 90027
Tel : 323-662-5253

billyk

New in Town
To start, there are a couple shops on Haight Street in San Francisco which are pretty neat -- La Rosa and Decades come to mind, but they can also be pretty pricey. I think there's also a shop in North Beach called Old Vogue. In Southern California, you can try the Long Beach area. Good luck.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I highly recommend The Way We Wore for women's vintage; it's at 334 S. La Brea Ave. in Los Angeles. A very lovely shop. Not a spot for bargains, unless they're having a sale, but a well-curated collection of beautiful women's clothing. I just sorry they stopped carrying menswear.

Corky

Practically Family
For someone from Stockholm, a few things to look out for in Southern California are..

For someone from Stockholm, a few things to look out for in Southern California are things that other people from colder climates have brought here and discarded.

A prime example of this phenomena is the amazing number of fine furs (mink, ermine, etc.) that turn up now and then in Thrift Shops. None of the locals would ever think of purchasing such things.

Well-to-do individuals collected fur coast and accessories at other locations in years past and then moved here and simply never wore them. This is partially due to the social stigma currently attached to the slaughter of animals for their pelts, but mainly due to the mild climate. It'sd just too hot to wear furs as a fashion statement.

The places to look for stuff like this are Thrift Shops in neighborhoods adjacent to affluent ones. There are no Thrift shops in Beverly Hills, for example, but there are several in the surrounding neighborhoods which are stocked with the cast-off of Beverly Hills residents.

There are also a few places around that re-sell items which have been used as costumes for the film and television industry, but one seldom finds amazing deals in those places.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Hello everyone! I am planning on attending the Art Deco Festival in September at Long Beach. I am having a lot of trouble trying to find a nice 1940s dress (I would like it to be 1930s, but I figured 1940s would be easier to find). I've been to a few places (like Playclothes) and I've been on the internet (looking at items on eBay and many other sites). The part I am having the most trouble with is not only finding things that I like, but will fit me (I'm looking for a dress that will be about a large or extra large) and are affordable. My budget is basically a dollar to forty dollars (and that's including tax). Is there anyone here that knows of some affordable nice vintage clothing stores in the Los Angeles area? I thought about going to a thrift store, but those can be hit or miss or picked over already. :(

Also, what's some important tips to remember when shopping for a vintage dress? I've noticed in some stores, that some eras get blended together. I bought a very cool purse in a vintage shop one time that was labeled as 1940s, but through further research on the internet after I took it home with me, I believe the purse to be later (1950s to 1960s). It has an "art deco" look to it, which I think was the reason why it got labeled as 40s (since it clearly didn't fit either 20s or 30s). I'm very hesitant to believe the stores labels in dating things. In that case, I was happy no matter what because it was love at first sight with my purse and it has a great look to it. However, I can't always depend on that happening. I don't want buy something and be disappointed later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner