Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Lifestyle VS Re-Enacting VS Cosplay

Jim Brown

Banned
Collectors do use what they collect. Ask Marc Chevalier as an example. I collect fountain pens mostly vintage and use all of them so far with the exception of 2 that are NOS. Many gun collectors only have guns they can fire. It's different than coin or stamp collecting those you don't want to use.
yes, it's true. Some collectors do wear what they collect. But not all collectors wear what they collect. Even you mention you don't use every pen you own. And I'm sure Marc doesn't wear everything he collects.

as a non-collector I do wear everything I collect. That that does not fit me, I sell to purchase things that will fit.

It can vary big time. I know in the brewery collecting hobby, my father and I are the kind of guys who prefer to buy bottles and cans that are still full. They typically sell for more money if there's still beverage in them.

However, I know people who prefer them to be empty, because of the fact that contents can cause aging to the labels and can cause rust and leaking in cans, if not properly stored.

Flicka

One Too Many
It is interesting to note that in the German and Russian languages the word for suit is "kostüm" and "костюм (kostyum)" respectively.

In Swedish, it's 'kostym' for suit AND costume. On the other hand, for costume outside of the theatrical world, you wouldn't say someone is in costume, you'd say he/she is 'utklädd' - 'dressed out' - as opposed to someone being dressed - 'klädd' - when wearing ordinary clothes. Tricky thing, language.

Anyway, I'm 'dressed' when wearing retro/vintage, not 'dressed out'. I'm not dressed as anyone but myself. And personally, I don't buy things I don't use. The only thing I ever 'collected' was Swedish detective stories from the 30s-50s and I only did that because I enjoyed reading them.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
This has been an interesting read. Who mentioned early on the thing about wanting to be noticed versus not? That one stuck with me because as time passes, I become more aware of whether I 'stick out' or not. In my younger years I took a little secret pleasure in being different and having people notice it. Now, though I have no intention of altering my style, it crosses my mind, sometimes, if others think I'm trying to make some sort of statement, which I'm not. Other than "this is the style that suits me".
I don't match my wardrobe up to a precise year, but rather wear a mix of items that feel right, and evoke the between-the-wars era that appeals to me. Skirts, t-strap shoes, hats, etc. So even though I don't imagine I ever come off as costumey, my look differs enough from the standard jeans and t-shirts that it can stand out. In fact, I found myself feeling self-conscious for the first time in a long time during a couple recent visits to the cinema to watch "The Artist". I wondered if anyone who took notice of me would think I was trying to emulate Peppy's look on purpose. It wasn't enough to make me pop over to the Gap to buy a new wardrobe, but it was a vaguely uncomfortable feeling.
Another time, an English friend and I were browsing antique shops in a charming little town nearby that is often used for period films, as time has passed it by. We were both in our daily wear of dresses and hats, accessorized of course, and more than one shopkeeper asked if we were in town making a movie. It would be easier to just be normal (whatever that really means), but I can't imagine doing that. I am what I am, and choose to surround myself with items that appeal, and make my life richer.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
It is interesting that some people liked to stick out when they were younger. I was just the opposite. I wanted to be anonymous. Now, as I'm older, I don't really care what people think of how I look. I dress for myself. Well, maybe for my wife too.

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
I would say that it is a bit disingenuous to say that differences between Cosplay, reenacting, and vintage enthusiasm outweigh the fundamental similarities between all three movements. All of these trends represent different forms of nostalgia for past ways of life, historical events and personages, and pop-culture (from the Golden Era to the 90s).

The most extreme form of nostalgia is the attempt to physically recreate something from the past or something imaginary (such as fictional characters). I believe that most of the vintage enthusiasm we see here is a nostalgia for Golden Era entertainment and art intertwined with the history of that era, even to the extent that the two are confused quite a bit.

Just because vintage enthusiasts choose to incorporate some of the functional aspects of history (fashion, tools, etc.) into their everyday lives, while Cosplaying and reenacting involves this sort of "acting" for intermediate periods of time, doesn't diminish the fact that there is this underlying presumption that through our actions something is being recreated--a character, an event, older sensibilities and aesthetics, etc..

Try all you want to say that "I was born this way" or "I was raised this way," the fact that you are in this forum represents that you have consciously evaluated the "normal" ways of life in this culture and found them wanting.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Is it truly "recreation," though, if you've always done it that way? I certainly don't think so.

I think there's some of us here who simply don't consider ourselves as being any part of "this" culture, any more than we'd be part of the culture if we for some reason found ourselves living among a tribe of Papuan headhunters. Strangers in a strange land, as the saying goes. Or as we say up here, the cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits.

Last edited:

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
I guess when I was a kid I was ashamed about the clothes I got stuck with (we were poor) But then I enjoyed how I dressed because it was edgy... I remember one of my girl's girlfriends at the time said, "You know, I love that you dress so retro..." I was like,"Ahm... what the hell is retro? Isn't that with the dreadlocks and stuff?" Ironically though I was very wrong, I ended up dating her instead and it was HER that started dressing "retro"!

God I always and even to this day hate that term!

But regardless of what your interest is, I strongly advise folks not to let their fear of looking or feeling out of place prevent them for wearing what they want. Since your clothes alone can help make everyday an adventure, I say do it your way and enjoy the ride.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Interesting thread, I usually dress in what would be called "old fashioned" shirts, twin pockets, epaulets on some, khaki style pants most days and older style boots. My fedora or cap and a leather bomber jacket round out the look. It has nothing to do with Indiana Jones, more with Roy Chapman Andrews and what I like to wear. I carry fountain pens and cell phones. Now, whne I shoot in Zoot Shooting I do dress in the style of the 20s or 30s and that is for fun.

silverladybug

New in Town
I'm completely new to the idea of dressing vintage, so my wardrobe is quite lacking. What drew me here is similar to what others have been saying as well. It's the love for the culture and the period. It's just who I am, what I find aesthetically appealing and what brings that happy giddy feeling. It's just what feels right. I've never cosplayed or anything like that (and I would), but doing that seems a little more out of my comfort zone than dressing vintage.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
In Swedish, it's 'kostym' for suit AND costume. On the other hand, for costume outside of the theatrical world, you wouldn't say someone is in costume, you'd say he/she is 'utklädd' - 'dressed out' - as opposed to someone being dressed - 'klädd' - when wearing ordinary clothes. Tricky thing, language.

Anyway, I'm 'dressed' when wearing retro/vintage, not 'dressed out'. I'm not dressed as anyone but myself. And personally, I don't buy things I don't use. The only thing I ever 'collected' was Swedish detective stories from the 30s-50s and I only did that because I enjoyed reading them.

As a total language nerd, I find it fascinating to compare the word "klädd" to the english word "clad" as in "an iron-clad warship"; I'm sure they share the same etymology. Such things thrill me, I know it's weird :p

Flicka

One Too Many
As a total language nerd, I find it fascinating to compare the word "klädd" to the english word "clad" as in "an iron-clad warship"; I'm sure they share the same etymology. Such things thrill me, I know it's weird :p

Oh, no, I understand. I'm a language nerd too (and just to note another similarity - 'naked' or 'unclad' is 'naken' or 'avklädd' in Swedish)

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
I'm completely new to the idea of dressing vintage, so my wardrobe is quite lacking. What drew me here is similar to what others have been saying as well. It's the love for the culture and the period. It's just who I am, what I find aesthetically appealing and what brings that happy giddy feeling. It's just what feels right. I've never cosplayed or anything like that (and I would), but doing that seems a little more out of my comfort zone than dressing vintage.

I can really relate to what you're saying here. I shop cheaply (in other words, thrifting for the win!!) and gravitate towards what's comfortable. Used slacks are cheaper and more comfortable than jeans, and I insist on shirt pockets anyway, so I'm halfway to the basics of vintage menswear right there. Add a jacket for wind-resistance or a full suit to present myself well, and you have full vintage-inspired daily wardrobes without specifically seeking things out based on age! The fact that I'm a swing music lover and a nostalgic soul tips me totally into the vintage crowd. :) And in that way, like silverladybug said, it becomes just who I am.

Around the trolley museum, I'd describe my uniforms as "living history." They're a compliment to the machines on display, showing the human side of transit history. It's fun to wear them, though I rarely wear them on a regular basis. But between the volunteer job and all the really fun creative work that goes into them, the uniform hobby makes a great addition to life! And whenever friends need someone dressed as a conductor/driver/transit professional for some costumey thing, I'm not above using the uniforms in more of a cosplay setting.

-Steven

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well, let's see. I've always loved vintage clothing, films, music, household goods. I also very occasionally participate in WWII/1940s reenactments, and have for a few years. (I don't have a reenacting "persona" or fake name or anything, I just get dressed and show up.) I collect WWII women's uniforms & related items, but I also wear them to events and put on displays. I collect 1940s and 1950s clothing and accessories, and have for far longer than I have been involved with reenacting, and I do wear those in my everyday life, although not all the time. I collect 1930s-50s cookbooks, and I cook recipes from them often. Much of our home decor is antiques. Most of the music we listen to is pre-1970, and 95% of our DVD collection and Netflix queue is in black & white.

So, I don't really know. I don't 100% live a vintage lifestyle. I wear a lot of modern clothes and I enjoy modern conveniences. I drive a new car and I use a computer. I live a fairly modern life with many vintage elements, and I would say my values and mindset are much more geared toward those of a different era. I do reenact sometimes, but I don't feel like I'm reenacting when I wear a 50s day dress & cardigan to my office on a Tuesday. I guess for me personally, "reenacting" and "vintage stuff I like in my everyday life" are 2 completely separate areas.

So, I don't really think I'd label myself one way or the other.

fathergoose

New in Town
I have very good friend. If asked, she'd probably identify herself as Goth-Lolita. That's just who she is. She's been in the retail side of Goth and Punk for years and design and research, as well. But I've never thought of her as a cos-player. And she's ace at tracking down vintage, repro or even doing it up herself. But it all comes down to how you describe yourself, doesn't it? Or don't describe yourself.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting thread, I usually dress in what would be called "old fashioned" shirts, twin pockets, epaulets on some, khaki style pants most days and older style boots. My fedora or cap and a leather bomber jacket round out the look. It has nothing to do with Indiana Jones, more with Roy Chapman Andrews and what I like to wear. I carry fountain pens and cell phones. Now, whne I shoot in Zoot Shooting I do dress in the style of the 20s or 30s and that is for fun.

Hi

I don't remember hearing about Roy Chapman Andrews before, but you and I wear the same stuff. My leather jacket is black, worn with black or charcoal gray fedora though. I wear about 10 different Cabela's two pocket canvas shirts with Cabela's Khaki pants (olive too). I'm considering Zoot shooting, but being from Kansas, I'll probably do SASS or National Congress of Old West Shooters (NCOWS).

My great uncle used to run drag lines in Harrisburg IL back about 20 years ago. He was working double shirts in the stripper pits in Western Kentucky until he turned 75 and they made him retire.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo