Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage look photo paper

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Anybody have an idea on how to find vintage look photo paper with the decorated edges that you can use to print from the computer through your printer?

Many of us have vintage look reenactor photos and I think it'd be neat to be able to print them off on this 40s style paper for that true WWII look.

Any suggestions?

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
You can get these at any craft store like Michael's, AC Moore, Ben Franklin, or even Walmart's craft section. I use the one called "deckle" because of the uneven repetition like the originals of which we have boxes of several thousand old family photos. Don't forget to stand where your shadow is cast into the foreground like so many of our ancestors had a tendency to do. It'll lend authenticity to the photo, but also be careful what you wear as the photographer. The outline of shorts, a tank top, and a gangsta cap can be seen in the shadow.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
One thing I notice about "Vintage" photos, clothes never seem baggy enough.
I think most re-enactors fall into the "Tailored" look. With Officers I think it would be OK but the average "Grunt" no. Uniforms were worn weeks on end then turned in or destroyed. Uniforms were often salvaged from "Dead piles" or were ill fitting. Insignia sewing is another thing I would spend hours trying to get right. I finally stopped doing that when my Boss gave me his 'Nam uniforms. He basically did what it took to just keep it on the uniform. He was more concerned about little things like staying alive.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can also get a "deckle edge" blade for the Fiskar desktop trimmers which, besides being handy for a million other things once you have one, make cutting a longer, straighter cut a lot easier than the scissors. The scissors only cut about 3" per snip. But they carry them as most office suppliers (Office Max, Office Depot, Staples) and arts & craft store or rubber stamp shops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy