Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-looking flats that go the extra mile

Donna Stewart

New in Town
I'm looking for a pair of comfortable flats to wear with my vintage skirts, and was wondering if any of the dancers here might have insight into where to look for some. I basically need them to feel like sneakers, yet look like classic ballet flats. Here's a link to some that I found at Dance Store . Ideally, I'd like something slightly more graceful, but am willing to settle for less. Any help would be greatly appreciated, dressing to the nines when your lifestyle calls for active wear is turning out to be quite a challenge!

Shearer

Practically Family
Those are cute, but I wish they came in a more neutral colour...

If you can't find any other shoes, I thought I'd at least add that I have the 30s oxfords from Aris Allen (via Dance Store) and they are extremely comfortable. Probably the most comfy heel I own. The soles are very padded, so I assume that their flats would be as well.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Hi, there!

I'm a swing dancer and I own the flats (the two tone wingtips and the black with the white trim). They're SUPER comfortable (and I dance in these puppies FAST for 5 hours at a time) as they HAVE to be. I would definitely recommend them. I actually won't wear anything else to dance in. They're designed to be comfy for lots of pressure and wear that goes with dancing, and for everyday wear I'd assume they'd last and be wonderful as well!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED from the BadMamaJama! ;)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
my opinon... to be taken with a grain of salt.

have you ever danced in low wedges like the ones shown? they are 80-billion times cuter than the MJ's, and i SWEAR by dancing in wedges (although i'v never tried aris allen's - mine are all vintage or remix repros. i feel like those maryjanes would definitely not enhance your vintage skirts. i don't know your situation, obviously, but for me personally - my dancing (and my vintage outfits) looks so much nicer when i wear wedges than flats!

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
BadMama, I love your new avatar! You're just adorable!

You're such a doll! Thank you!

On another note, I have a problem dancing in wedges, but it's probably a tall issue and the fact that I've never worn higher shoes because of it and can't coordinate my awkward self to dance AND maintain a higher heel--but I do have a pair of the AA wedges for every day wear and they are MAHHHHHVELOUS! Good call, Shoo Shoo Baby! :D

Donna Stewart

New in Town
thebadmamajama said:
Hi, there!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED from the BadMamaJama! ;)

I'm glad to hear it!

ShooShooBaby said:
have you ever danced in low wedges
You're right about wedges looking so much better. I initially asked about flats because I've been having trouble with loose knee and ankle joints during more acrobatic dances, but on second thought those wedges don't look TOO high. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

lindylady

A-List Customer
I use the Aris Allen wedges for dancing. They are super comfy and give my flat feet good support. I don't feel any soreness or fatigue after wearing them.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I have the Red Aris Allen Wedges. Just for everyday wear, not dancing, and they are super comfortable. And the laces on top are adjustable so they really help with the fit.

Rosa Moline

New in Town
I don't mean to hijack the topic, but saddle shoes are the most comfy shoes I've had! here is a pic of some classic saddles at a retro show, and mine (solo foot) is in the foreground!

410634203_ee8c771bf4.jpg

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
vintage looking flats

I've noticed a couple of neat vintage-ish and retro inspired flats that have popped up this spring.

These are available at solestruck.com for about $49.00
They come in cherry too, but I'm not super impressed with the cherry print.

And then there are these. Which I can only find at Delia's after much searching for the Charles Albert Brand.

I also found these which I'm totally in love with and they are on sale.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you decide to go the wedge route make sure to check out Re-Mix. You probably have heard of them before, but they are super comfy and also very cute. There are lots of threads in the Powder Room pertaining to them, just in case you needed information on them that you couldn't find on their site.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
If you decide to go the wedge route make sure to check out Re-Mix. You probably have heard of them before, but they are super comfy and also very cute. There are lots of threads in the Powder Room pertaining to them, just in case you needed information on them that you couldn't find on their site.

I'll second Daisy's comment. I have never tried Aris Allens, but I love my Re-Mix wedges for swing dancing. They are the most comfortable shoes I have worn both on and off the dance floor.

I prefer to dance in wedges instead of flats as well; I find them easier to move in and think they are cuter with dresses and skirts. ;)

Donna Stewart

New in Town
Thanks for the advice ladies, I'm definitely looking at ordering a pair of wedges now.

I went to a dance store to scope out general sizing trends yesterday before ordering online, and fell in love withe the So Danca character shoes. I've never owned a pair of professional dancing shoes, just the department store variety of leather-soled heels, and I couldn't believe the difference in the way they felt! It was like they gave support right where I wanted it, and felt incredibly stable and graceful, I just wanted to dance out of the store. I'm trying to come up with a way to wear them outside without ruining the delicate sole now, I honestly can't remember a time when I've felt as comfortable in heels. I'm thinking of buying an extra pair and taking it to the cobbler's to see what they can do.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Donna Stewart said:
Thanks for the advice ladies, I'm definitely looking at ordering a pair of wedges now.

I went to a dance store to scope out general sizing trends yesterday before ordering online, and fell in love withe the So Danca character shoes. I've never owned a pair of professional dancing shoes, just the department store variety of leather-soled heels, and I couldn't believe the difference in the way they felt! It was like they gave support right where I wanted it, and felt incredibly stable and graceful, I just wanted to dance out of the store. I'm trying to come up with a way to wear them outside without ruining the delicate sole now, I honestly can't remember a time when I've felt as comfortable in heels. I'm thinking of buying an extra pair and taking it to the cobbler's to see what they can do.

I have a similar pair of character shoes with leather soles, and I used to wear them on the street all the time (they were the only pair of white shoes I had at the time, and went well with a lot of outfits.) The soles held up fine, though I know that many dance studios do not allow you to wear shoes that have been worn on the street onto their dance floors.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
not that i'm a super dancer or anything, and i usually dance in heels, but from my limited experience, i prefer at least a little height under my heel when i'm dancing, since it helps keep my weight shifted forward onto my toes :)

epr25

Practically Family
They aren't really vintage looking. Plain but do the trick for me. I have several pairs of Clark's in various styles. I love them they are like wearing slippers with support all day. I have purchased all of mine off of ebay quite reasonably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara