Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Magazines - some cover scans

Mayor La Trivia

New in Town
Hello all. This is my first post. I have a large collection of vintage magazines from the 1920s, 30s and 40s. A few days ago I scanned the covers of some
Liberty Magazines and want to share them with you. I scan in two segments then stitch them together to create a single image.

Liberty19251114.jpg

Liberty19251108.jpg

Liberty19250919.jpg

Liberty19250815.jpg

Liberty19250509.jpg

Liberty19250502.jpg

Liberty19250124.jpg

Liberty19241101.jpg

Liberty19241004.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Cool! Wasn't it Liberty who made the famous survey that said FDR would lose the 1932 election, and practically put themselves out of business as a result? Too bad. Neat cover art. Thanx for posting.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What I like is the old ads in vintage magazines for all sorts of esoteric and inventive stuff of course at crazy low prices compared with today.:)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Cool! Wasn't it Liberty who made the famous survey that said FDR would lose the 1932 election, and practically put themselves out of business as a result?
I think it was the Literary Digest, and the 1936 election.

Supposedly LD's mistake was using auto registration and phone company records - not a representative sample of the voting public in 1936, when there were an awful lot of people without cars or phones. So many, in fact, that the results shook out like this:
LD Survey: Alf Landon by 57%
Popular Vote: Roosevelt by 60%

Interestingly enough, '36 was the first election year for George Gallup, who predicted FDR would win by randomly polling just 5,000 people. LD's sample? 2 million.

cite

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Great covers!

Liberty was a fun magazine -- sort of a downscale Colliers, crossed with True Story, by way of a tabloid newspaper. It was best known as the magazine that rated every story and article with a reading time, telling you it should take exactly 8 minutes and 42 seconds to read "Advice To The Ladies, by Princess Alexandra Kropotkin," or whatever. Some really nifty articles, especially in the 30s, when it published a LOT of firsthand material on the Lindbergh kidnapping case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner