Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Mailboxes?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Street mailboxes have had the same basic round-topped shape since the early part of the 20th Century. During the Era, they were painted a dark olive green, and from the late fifties to the early seventies they were painted half-red and half-blue. The modern all-blue color scheme was introduced when the Post Office Department became the Postal Service in 1971. You'll see green mailboxes on the streets to this day, but these are relay boxes for letter carrier use only and not for the use of the public. The olive-drab shade used on these relay boxes is somewhat lighter than the shade used on regular mailboxes in the Era.

There were also small, round-topped "letter boxes" mounted on poles in lieu of the larger sidewalk boxes. These followed the same paint schemes as the large boxes, and you'll still see a few of these around, but they've largely been supplanted.

Household mailboxes tended to be similar to those you see today. The standard "Approved By Postmaster General" long metal tunnel-shaped RFD box is a design that goes back to specifications laid out in 1913. Houses in town or apartments would use the small pressed-tin letter boxes that come in various designs, or simply a letter slot in the front door.

F. J.

One of the Regulars
OD Mailboxes . . .

I was wondering, how much did mailboxes change since the Golden Era? Have they remained exactly the same, or have they changed?

Well, for starters, they used to be green.
Prior to 1909, they were painted red or green, but they changed it to dark green to avoid looking like fire department equipment. After the Great War, olive green paint became the standard as the Army had some surplus and gave it to the Post Office Department.
In 1955, they changed to blue with white lettering and red tops. The current design was introduced in 1971, when the United States Post Office Department was converted to be the U. S. Postal Service.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A good look at the green mailboxes of the Era. Kodachrome slide from the US Postal Museum, taken in 1947. The sidewalk box is a relay box, the one on the pole is for public use.

2674301205_0e3a30369e_b.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't know what a relatively box is, but a relay box is simply a secure drop-storage container for letter carriers to use on their routes -- they'll use it to store part of their load so that there's less to carry into any given neighborhood. Then they'll go back to the box and pick up the rest and go do that part of the neighborhood. If you come across one you'll notice it has no deposit slot of any kind -- the whole side of the box unlocks and swings open, allowing the entire space to be used for storage.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The routing box is also larger then the postal box. Does any one remember when postal boxes were situated conveniently every so many blocks? We had one caddy corner to our house when I was little.
mailbox-photo3-m_zpsffoudtc3.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Lets not forget our friends from the British Empire. You have a real smart looking Post Box!
05%20A%20typical%20English%20post%20box%20seen%20in%20Canterbury_zpsfbl1bujy.jpg

Lets not forget our friends from the British Empire. You have a real smart looking Post Box!
05%20A%20typical%20English%20post%20box%20seen%20in%20Canterbury_zpsfbl1bujy.jpg

This is tongue and cheek and not meant to be taken as serious political commentary:

One could say the two different countries' cultures are reflected in those mailboxes.

Britain's is more formal with historical design details and a "Empire-ish" feel; whereas, America's is more muscular, roll-up-your-sleeves utilitarian.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Those used to be everywhere, but I haven't seen one in active service for years. And every single one I've ever seen came from the Carlisle Foundry, which must be struggling now that the postal business has dried up.

p51

One Too Many
I was asking my parents about personal mail boxes outside of homes (on poles, not the boxes attached to the house) while I was researching for my 1943-era model RR layout.
Mom said that in the 40s, mailboxes pretty much look like they do now. Both parents recall seeing silver ones along roads as kids in the early to mid 40s.
No idea about the pattern of the flag that was raised or how they were commonly marked, I assume they were either unlettered (no pun intended) or hand painted with the name and-or address...
The area they grew up in still had plenty of houses in the area in the 70s and 80s with the pre-war metal boxes attached the houses near the front door, and I assume some might still be there?

Those used to be everywhere, but I haven't seen one in active service for years. And every single one I've ever seen came from the Carlisle Foundry, which must be struggling now that the postal business has dried up.

There were a couple other manufacturers, one other in PA, can't remember the name and I think VonDorn in Cleveland but Carlisle is the one I've seen the most.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another thing about those small letter boxes is that they would often be mounted on standardized cast-concrete posts. If you ever come across a thin concrete obelisk about five feet tall with a date stamped into the concrete toward the pointed end, that's an abandoned mounting post for a letter box.

Another thing about those small letter boxes is that they would often be mounted on standardized cast-concrete posts. If you ever come across a thin concrete obelisk about five feet tall with a date stamped into the concrete toward the pointed end, that's an abandoned mounting post for a letter box.

Always looking!

This got me to thinking, as I've only been on FL for a few years, I'm sure it's out there on FL's site, but if not, we should start a discussion on railroad dated nail heads - used to date the time the rail ties where installed. Just a neat part of the incredible railroad history of our (and, I bet, others, but I only know about our) country. Years ago, and for a nominal cost, my girlfriend got me a pair of former railroad nail heads that were made into cufflinks (and that were from the year my force-of-nature father was born). I am not familiar with these concrete posts you mention - but will now look for them when the opportunity come up - I love this stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou