Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

Smuterella

One Too Many
Darhling said:
perhaps not very vintage - since I lack the moonicure. But i had just gotten my nails done, as in fake nails .. now I have these insanely long, red, oval and glossy nails. Is it wierd I feel more diva-like?! lol Of course I cannot do ANYTHING, it would be more easy doing stuff with my wrists or elbows now, but stil, they do look fantasticly amazing!!

you'll get used to them, I used to have fake nails (with airbrushed patterns and rhinestones on - when I was going through my looking as cheap as possible phase) and for the first week I couldn't do a thing but later I hardly noticed them. the best thing is your polish doesn't chip. Perhaps I should get them again? hmmm...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Darhling said:
Is it wierd I feel more diva-like?

No, not at all. I'm a terrible nail biter, and when I have my nails done, I feel about 1 million times better about myself and my self image. I mean, it's incredible what a huge change it is.

I've recently taken to using glue on nails from the drugstore (upon recommendation from a Lounger, actually) and I love them. They last me about a week and I like them a lot more than the acrylics I used to have - I used to have to fight with the nail techs to get them to do what I wanted, and I hated the way they looked as they were growing out. The glue on ones are plenty strong, but thinner too (I actually think they look more natural). I'm able to let my nails breathe more frequently and find less damage to my already weak nails! They're also much cheaper (about $5/week).

Of course I cannot do ANYTHING, it would be more easy doing stuff with my wrists or elbows now, but stil, they do look fantasticly amazing!!

You'll get used to them. The worst for me is taking contacts out when I have nails. Followed by applying false lashes, in a close second. If you have a really hard time with the super long nails, have them take some length off and let them get longer gradually so you have time to get used to it.

Also, don't forget to wear gloves when doing dishes or hand washing. Extended water exposure like that is really damaging.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I need a minion to come and do everyting for me! Even to type.. lol But I do love it, I would never ever be able to get my own nails long. My hands look amazing now..

lizylou

Familiar Face
I just finished cutting off my natural nails. They were needing it badly. I had breaks here and peeling there, they were a mess! Now I feel like I have short stubby fingers.:eusa_doh: hopefully when I paint them just now they might pass for okay looking[huh] we'll see

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
I just got the new Woman's World and there is an article about maincures and one is our beloved reverse french tip manicure. They gave a great tip of using those round stickers that are mostly used for pricing garage sale items and putting them on the base of your nails to cover the half moon at the base of your nails. Just wanted to pass the tip on to all you gals!

limetree

New in Town
I've been using those stickers for a while, I cut them in half. I find they work pretty well but if you have a pale coat underneath they can sometimes pull bits of that off - I may just have extra tacky stickers though?
IMG_6090.jpg

I put the stickers too far down on the nail bed when I did these but it's the only photo I have...
IMG_4147.jpg

Sorry for the gigantor pictures, technology won't co-operate today!

Lilibet

New in Town
Candied violets said:
I know this was posted back in 2006 but has anyone discovered just what this pink powder is? I would really like to try this style.

Hi, I'm new here and I just saw this. I don't know if you found what you wanted, but if you didn't... You need a chamois-covered nail buffer like this http://www.shoplondons.com/nailbuffer.html and buffing cream http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/details.html?id=8313. You just dab a little of the cream on the nails, then go over them with the buffer. I got mine, by Revlon, at the drugstore, but they seem to have discontinued it so you may have to look online.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
limetree said:
I've been using those stickers for a while, I cut them in half. I find they work pretty well but if you have a pale coat underneath they can sometimes pull bits of that off - I may just have extra tacky stickers though?
IMG_6090.jpg

I put the stickers too far down on the nail bed when I did these but it's the only photo I have...
IMG_4147.jpg

That is such a great idea!! I would have never thought!

The next time I paint my nails.. im going to try it!!

Thanks for the pic.. I would have been soo lost! LOL (im a visual person)

Lilibet

New in Town
limetree said:

Try sticking the sticker to the skin on your forearm or the back of your hand before putting it on your nails -- it will reduce the tackiness (like how when you move a bandaid it won't stay put).

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Just to clarify.

in the 30's....it was a -large- white area at the tip....with the moon left unpainted and the tip left unpainted there was literally only color in the middle.

in the 40's they literally mean a -sliver-...just enough so that you were not chipping your polish due to hitting the tips of nails on things. This made a manicure longer wearing but to the naked eye, probably not -white tipped- appearing.

Gotta remember, the formulas of nail polish were different then ours....and as formulas improved, the need to have the tips clear and free of polish that would chip easily....slowly went away.

Antje

One Too Many
limetree said:
IMG_6090.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

this is a great tip, I have special stickers for french manicure but they leave a little layer of the sticky stuff on to your nails so you end up with nice half moons but very yukie of the sticky mess
i think i might try this

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Just to clarify.

in the 30's....it was a -large- white area at the tip....with the moon left unpainted and the tip left unpainted there was literally only color in the middle.

in the 40's they literally mean a -sliver-...just enough so that you were not chipping your polish due to hitting the tips of nails on things. This made a manicure longer wearing but to the naked eye, probably not -white tipped- appearing.

Gotta remember, the formulas of nail polish were different then ours....and as formulas improved, the need to have the tips clear and free of polish that would chip easily....slowly went away.

Thanks for the Calrification Miss Neecerie

:)
I am going to attempt the nail polish tonight!

** i just hope I dont end up wearing it** LOL

Inky

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:

I remember my grandmother painting my nails when I was a kid and she'd always wipe a way a teeny sliver at the end "to make it last longer" and she was right, it did!

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Just to clarify.

Think I'm going to try both of these styles out, I've seen photos of both before online searching vintage styles, but I stopped wearing nail polish due to working in the hardware environment by the end of the day half of the polish is chipped, hopefully this will work!

Inky

One Too Many
I had a meltdown yesterday and decided today was a good day to play hookey from work (don't worry, I'll pay the piper on Sunday when I have to work to catch up).

So pedicure and manicure were in order. I usually do my own nails, so this was a treat. I asked the manicurist if he could do a moon manicure and he knew just what i was talking about. He said he usually does it by airbrushing the moon and/or tip in white but I wanted it traditional and he obliged. I think he did a great job too! The color is OPI Got the Blues for Reds.

2788163120_3d4b5ce600.jpg

2788163040_0e90e465cc.jpg

too bad we don't have plans for the weekend!!

limetree

New in Town
Lilibet said:
Try sticking the sticker to the skin on your forearm or the back of your hand before putting it on your nails -- it will reduce the tackiness (like how when you move a bandaid it won't stay put).

Thanks for this hint! Boy do I feel silly, I used to do this to reduce the tackiness of my tape when masking illustrations, but it never occurred to me to do the same for these stickers :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany