Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
5e5cb5d0526dc90a0bb2d5bca4f595f1.jpg

Rob

"That's a joke, son."

As was my response - I assume all know that even though I forgot to put in the smiley emoji. All meant in light good fun.

That said, I wasn't kidding that donuts seem to be having a foodie "moment." There's a coffee shop near me that now has these twice-normal-sized donuts, with a list (I kid you not) of fillings and toppings: "organic whole wheat donut with Vermont maple syrup filling and apple-smoked bacon bits on top," etc. I have to embarrassingly admit I was intrigued until I saw the $4 price and didn't want my father to come back from the grave and kill me.

0cd2909ee250151048a342144a4708c9.jpg

I saw my first “R” rated movie here.
I’ve been a movie fan ever since.

What was the R-rated movie you saw?

The first R-rated movie I saw was (← kinda a palindrome) "The Valachi Papers" at age 7 with my - get this - grandmother who loved movies and took me to the ones she wanted to see. I wasn't brought up with any training wheels or protective helmets. Pretty sure that was about the last one we saw together as she was already sick and passed away not that long afterwards.

3fingers

One Too Many
One word: maintenance. I deal with a neon sign on a daily basis, and it's a rare day when there isn't a problem with it, especially in bad weather. Right now we're the "- - R A --" Theatre on one side and the "- - - A - -" Theatre on the other. This is why my hair has turned grey.
Oh I understand that, but
I guess i was lucky. I had a neon sign at a former job that hung on the side of a building. In 10 years i replaced 1 transformer and resoldered a connection on the GTO wire a couple of times. The only other issue i had was a local junior heathen decided to throw a rock at it and break a letter. His father didn't want to pay for it until he was asked by a police officer to consider the alternatives.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The problem here has a lot to do with the salt air -- any connection that's not thoroughly slathered in protective goo will corrode out in a very short time, especially when you add in the extreme weather. We usually have a letter go sour every couple of years and have to be remade, and the rain and snow cause all kinds of unpredictable outages on top of that.

We still have an old-line neon-bending shop in the state, but the guy who owns it is in his 80s, and it takes a while to get custom work done. I'd think that'd be a good line of work for a young artisitic type to apprentice into -- if I was forty years younger and could still see, I'd look into it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR