Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

Meanwhile, we're having more fun with our own neon sign. The crew showed up today to replace the damaged letter on the face -- and got up in their hoist to install it, and OOPS. The guy's hand slipped, he dropped it and that was all she wrote. Back to the shop to fabricate another new one.

Makes me feel less bad about the glass of milk I dropped and broke this weekend. I dropped it in the sink, it fell maybe 6 inches, but broke all the same. But heck, at least it wasn't a letter from a neon sign. Who pays for the accident - the repair company, the theater or does insurance get involved?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I assume the company will have to swallow the cost of that one, since possession had not actually transferred to us before it got broken. I felt bad for the guy, he had a terribly sheepish expression on his face. "What can I say, it's Monday, knowhutImean?"

I assume the company will have to swallow the cost of that one, since possession had not actually transferred to us before it got broken. I felt bad for the guy, he had a terribly sheepish expression on his face. "What can I say, it's Monday, knowhutImean?"

I worked for a company that had a "you break it you own it" policy for its employees (made you careful and nervous) and, then, went to work for Sterns department store.

I was doing an OT inventory shift in "housewares" and dropped a $30 glass cake stand (which would have just about cost me a full twelve hour day's wages). I can't say I didn't think about just putting it back on the shelf - I had never even seen a cake stand in a home in my life - "who buys these things," I angrily thought (I needed that money) - but (as noted in some other thread today) my upbringing just wouldn't allow it.

So I brought out the box of rattling glass to the manager and asked how I paid for it (and if I could pay cost). She looked at me like I was nuts and told me to just put it on the "breakage" table and go back to work and try to be more careful. I was stunned - truly stunned. And even pushed a bit - "you sure I don't have to pay for it - it was my fault." I always felt better about Sterns after that and tried my best to never break anything again. To this day, I'm still grateful.

I love the the idea of neon being used to advertise a filament bulb:

26b8d79a58f8a051f6f69e8eb8dc9deb.jpg

The actual filament is particularly well done.

Pizza ceased to be Italian the day my grandfather, who inveighed against "guineas" his whole life, eagerly gobbled down a slice. Nowadays it's about as ethnic as chicken noodle soup.

There's a highly regarded Somali pizza place in Lewiston, featuring halal pizza with goat cheese. Lewiston was the first place in Maine where pizza is known to have been sold, and clearly remains a center of innovation.

My girlfriend makes fun of me as growing up the only "ethnic" food we had was pizza - to which she says, "that's not ethnic food." I didn't have Chinese or Mexican food until I went to college - and Thai, Indian and others came later.

Pre-sign-design discussion:

Owner 1: Should we highlight our name?

Owner 2: Of course.

Owner 1: But then the fabulous martini glass will be marginalized.

Owner 2: Can't have that.

Owner 1: And what the heck, people don't care what we call ourselves, but they do care about martinis.

Owner 2: Let's plop that giant martini glass right on top.

Owner 1: I'm on board.

b9ffa73d42d668a76b395cad6ae182b8.jpg

Post-sign-installation discussion:

Owner 1: Why is the olive red?

Owner 2: What!?, cr*p, it is red.

Owner 1: We could say it's a Manhattan and that's a cherry.

Owner 2: With a toothpick in it? And it's the wrong color booze then.

Owner 1: Grr!

Pre-sign-design discussion:

Owner 1: Should we highlight our name?

Owner 2: Of course.

Owner 1: But then the fabulous martini glass will be marginalized.

Owner 2: Can't have that.

Owner 1: And what the heck, people don't care what we call ourselves, but they do care about martinis.

Owner 2: Let's plop that giant martini glass right on top.

Owner 1: I'm on board.

View attachment 110882

Post-sign-installation discussion:

Owner 1: Why is the olive red?

Owner 2: What!?, cr*p, it is red.

Owner 1: We could say it's a Manhattan and that's a cherry.

Owner 2: With a toothpick in it? And it's the wrong color booze then.

Owner 1: Grr!
:D [emoji14]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3fingers

One Too Many
My grandad took some slides in the '50's of the strip lit up at night. Alas, I don't think they survived my grandmother's purge. From the perspective, it looked like he was standing in the middle of the street while shooting. Probably wouldn't be advisable now. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24