Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage & of Vintage era to be released on DVD Blu-ray

I thought we might have a thread to let other Lounge members that there is vintage era and period pieces coming out soon.

When you make purchases from Amazon they keep track of the stuff you buy and make suggestions for you to consider.

Well I got an email from Amazon announcing that:

the Ellery Queen Mystery TV series will be released
as a boxed set 9/28/10 with all 22 episodes.

Some of you are saying Ho-Hum and others don't know the show but it was a 1975-76 one season mystery TV program with Tim Hutton as Ellery Queen amatuer detective and writer. The interplay between Hutton and the guy playing his police detective dad was really quite good. As I understand it the Queen books were set in the 30's but the TV program is set in post WWII 1947 in NY city. One item that survived from the writing is the challenge to the readers / viewers. Hutton as Queen would stop and look directly into the camera to pierce the fourth wall and speak directly to the viewers. He reviewed the clues and motives and says you have enough information to solve the murder and figure out who did it. It was an unusual touch and people loved it as it drew you into the program even more. I got to see some a year or two back as channel 56 was showing these at night.

The guest stars are a feast of big names and other spots are great played by many secondary charector actors moving into the forefront. It's an average tv production for the time but has some fun period conversational language tossed in. Accuracy for clothes is at best so-so but the show was fun.

I always associated the small surge toward vintage era programs and films of this time as a reaction to the great reception of the acadmy award winning vintage period film "The Sting" from 1973.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy