Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage peacoat fitting / sizing advise

janwillem

New in Town
I'm not I'm not native English speaking so in advance my apology…

I want a Kersey wool peacoat.
I’ve read the perfect and helpful 'peacoat dating' post more than once and finally bought a 1949 peacoat from www.monstervintage.com. Size 44”, measured chest 48”, pit-to-pit outside 24”. Received the coat but found it much too big. So returned the coat yesterday and will try to change for a better fitting one. I’m, living in Europe and sending packages across the ocean isn’t cheap so advise would be very welcome:).
I’m 6ft2”, 170lbs, normal build, bit long arms. Chest with t-shirt is 41,5”. Would like to wear a sweater beneath it and a little snug fitting, like the one of JanSolo: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...oat…(Yes-that-tree-is-also-in-it!)&highlight=.

Should I go for a 40 or a 42.
I’ve seen this one: http://monstervintage.com/Vintage_C...intage_USNavy_Pea_Coat_Black_Large_25868.html

Based on the peacoat dating post I prefer a post WWII – 1968 peacoat. Must be in excellent condition.

Any advise on the sizing will help.

Many Thanks!!

@ Grayland: thanks for the advise. I will probaly go for the 40 and 42.

Can anyone date this label?

http://monstervintage.com/merchandise/images/70/g/25879g.jpg

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have a 39.5-inch chest and I bought both a size 40 and a size 38 in vintage peacoats. I prefer the size 38, but I can't wear it with a sweater. I think you are going to need a size 42 if you actually expect to wear a sweater underneath.

Peacoat

Bartender
Grayland is right. A size 40 will be good without a sweater, but you will need a size 42 to wear with a sweater.

That might be a 1967 coat, but with most of the numbers obliterated, it is hard to tell for sure.

Edit Note: With your height and long arms, the size 40 will likely be too short in the torso and in the sleeves. A size 42 will be iffy in those areas as well.

Last edited:

janwillem

New in Town
arms fitting

@Peacoat: Thanks for the advise. With long arms I mean a bit longer. Shoulder seam to cuff 26”- 26,5”will be perfect. How does that compare to a regular 40 and 42?
Considering your information I think I will probably look for two coats (40 and 42). Do you have by chance any experience with Monstervintage.com? Are their coats truly originals or reproductions? Thanks again!

Grayland is right. A size 40 will be good without a sweater, but you will need a size 42 to wear with a sweater.

That might be a 1967 coat, but with most of the numbers obliterated, it is hard to tell for sure.

Edit Note: With your height and long arms, the size 40 will likely be too short in the torso and in the sleeves. A size 42 will be iffy in those areas as well.

Peacoat

Bartender
A size 42 is right at 26". Some may be 1/2" longer. Like you, I need 26" to 26.5" in the sleeves.

A size 40 (25" to 25 1/2") will be too short in the sleeves for you; however, there is usually enough material in the cuff to let it out about an inch. So, it should work with a simple alteration.

As to Monstervintage, just follow the examples given in the dating guide, and you will be OK. If you have a question about their coats, just let me know. I would try to get an accurate p2p from them before buying. Copy and paste my instructions for sellers in taking the p2p. If you send that to them, it will be hard for them to screw it up.

janwillem

New in Town
Thanks again. Followed your advise and have requested Monstervintage to look for two in excellent condition, kersey wool coats, 40 and 42 with prefferd measurements and instruction howto to do the p-to-p.
Preferred measurements:
-----------------------------------------
A => Probably a size 40.
Armpit-to-armpit*: 21" - 21,25"
Measured chest size: 42"
Shoulder seam to cuff: 25,5" - 26,5"
Condition: Excellent
Wool: Kersey
Year: 1947 - 1968

B => Probably a size 42.
Armpit-to-armpit*: 22" - 22,25"
Measured chest size: 44"
Shoulder seam to cuff: 25,5" - 26,5"
Condition: Excellent
Wool: Kersey
Year: 1947 - 1966

* For the pit to pit measurement lay the coat face up on a flat surface. Stretch it tightly from side to side and pull the same amount of material evenly from the front and the back. Do not be concerned about any seams--disregard the seams. We want the amount of material stretched in the back to be the same as the amount stretched in the front. Then let the fabric relax and take the measurement. It should be a whole number and a fraction--such as 19.25 inches. Do not round off; we want the entire number. Try to be accurate to 1/8 of an inch.

Will post results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24