Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Silhouettes Custom Hats - Official Affiliate Thread

I was going to make the bound brim suggestion too. The tension in the binding ribbon will hold the brim nicely, even if the felt is very flexible.

My VS ArtLite Playboy is 2 5/8" unbound but does have a decorative stitch around the edge.
VS ArtLite Natural is 2 7/8" with underwelt.
VS ArtLite Wanderers are 2 3/4" bound edge.
I would say 2 5/8" is max brim width for ArtLite raw edge...JMHO

elveston

Familiar Face
And, that is why I like the Hitchhiker. One style, one color, one brim size, no decisions except for ribbon.

By the way, anybody got any advice on narrow vs. medium? :)

Thanks for the help. If I go for the Artlite with a raw edge, I think it would be wise to stick with 2 5/8. I have another of Art's Century felts in a 2 1/2 inch brim which feels great. The comments on the Lounge on Art's lightweight felts just make them very tempting.

Last edited:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the medium ribbon on my hitchhiker but it's really a question of personal taste. A thin ribbon will look a bit more western than a wider ribbon. The hitchhiker is closer to a western weight felt (i.e. heavier) than the dress weight that Art offers so if you're looking for light weight I'm not sure the hitchhiker is the best option for you. The heavier felt will hold up to a lot of abuse and doesn't need any reinforcement for the raw brim.

I like the medium ribbon on my hitchhiker but it's really a question of personal taste. A thin ribbon will look a bit more western than a wider ribbon. The hitchhiker is closer to a western weight felt (i.e. heavier) than the dress weight that Art offers so if you're looking for light weight I'm not sure the hitchhiker is the best option for you. The heavier felt will hold up to a lot of abuse and doesn't need any reinforcement for the raw brim.

Like Sam says, the Nutria blend is a different weight than dress weight & designed for rugged, outdoor use. I have the Journeyman with raw edge brim. It can handle a much wider one than an ArtLite without an edge treatment.
Art does a VERY fine underwelt to give the brim some substance, not a dressy as a bound edge, very subtle....

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
It's time for a few more hats Gents, again some are quite out of the ordinary for me, some not.

First, no name yet ( help?)

Granite
Peluche finish
5 1/4 crown,
1 7/8 brim raw
Black bamboo pattern pugaree
center dent
Joey, Century

IMG_0721-vi.jpg IMG_0720-vi.jpg

"Carondelet"

Black Cherry
Peluche finish
5" crown
2 1/4" brim under welted
Cabernet silk 18 ligne
Pork pie
Joey, Century, Legacy

IMG_0759-vi.jpg IMG_0760-vi.jpg

I was recently asked to duplicate a quite famous hat worn by Robert Mitchum in "Farewell My Lovely" , owned by Mr. Mitchum's son. Here is my version of it and is appropriately named
" Mitchum Way"

Granite
Suede finish
5 1/2" crown
2 1/2" brim raw
19 ligne Black ribbon
Diamond crease
Joey, Century,

IMG_0763-vi.jpg IMG_0764-vi.jpg

At the same time I had another request to dupe a hat owned by a not so famous man but from the same time period. This one I actually got to study while in LA a few months ago so I know it's an accurate rendition of a 1940s Knox

Mojave
Suede finish
5 3/4 " crown
2 7/8" brim bound in 9 ligne bone
19 ligne Black crown ribbon
Squared western center dent
Joey, Century

IMG_0766-vi.jpg IMG_0765-vi.jpg

Last of this batch, please take a look at

"Boubon St."
Chocolate
standard finish
5" crown
1 3/4 brim under welt
Camel 19 ligne ribbon
Pork Pie
Joey, Century

IMG_0782-vi.jpg IMG_0781-vi.jpg

Comments or thoughts are always welcome

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I might actually get to work on the original soon. Mr Mitchum ( the younger) inquired as to whether I would clean & block it.
Thanks Rusty, creating is fun part of hatting. BTW, Mike did a great job on your wedding hat.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The " Mitchum Way" is really sweet. I like the crease.
Mr Mitchum would feel right at home in that one Art!

I'm liking the Mitchum Way as well - classic styling!

Art, has the new darker Black Cherry completely replaced the original lighter colour now or are both available?

I like them both, but I still prefer the original.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I'm liking the Mitchum Way as well - classic styling!

Art, has the new darker Black Cherry completely replaced the original lighter colour now or are both available?

I like them both, but I still prefer the original.

I have both at the moment David. I'm on the fence as to the original. Since they switched their formula, I could ask them to make the original for me but then the minimum kicks in making it somewhat prohibitive. Time will tell.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I have both at the moment David. I'm on the fence as to the original. Since they switched their formula, I could ask them to make the original for me but then the minimum kicks in making it somewhat prohibitive. Time will tell.

Thanks for the info, Art. Seems a little odd that Winchester would replace the original, rather than give a different name to the new version and keep making the old one.

Your new line up is looking great. I have no idea how you find the time to get so much done - amazing!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for the info, Art. Seems a little odd that Winchester would replace the original, rather than give a different name to the new version and keep making the old one.

Your new line up is looking great. I have no idea how you find the time to get so much done - amazing!

Thanks David. I've actually been working on this line for 4 months and still making final touches on more.

elveston

Familiar Face
Just watched the finish of a British Ebay auction on one of Art's hats he made about 10 years ago in the Johnny Depp style. While the hat was in great shape, it was still used and made specifically for the seller. It sold for about $60 to $70 more than Art will custom craft a similar one currently. The quality of his work is recognized internationally and is priced accordingly. Unfortunately for me, my snipe setting was about a hundred dollars too low. Fortunately, the two new ones I have coming eases the pain somewhat.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm late to say it, but I too love the new Mitchum Way hat. I'm a big fan of FAREWELL, MY LOVELY and have long admired the hat Robert Mitchum wears in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner