Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Silhouettes Custom Hats - Official Affiliate Thread

pfisto22

New in Town
IMAG0146.jpg
Good evening,
Ok so I finally got my hat from Art. First let me say that the quailty and workmanship are wonderful. I love the feel of the hat and the color is perfect. I had to tweek the size just a tad as it sat a little to high but that is a easy fix. As I had said to Art the only concern I have is the feeling of having what feels is a very high hat on my head. I am used to wearing cowboy type hats that don't feel well like a wedding cake on my head. Having said that after seeing the picture of the hat on my head it does not look like its to high but it does feel that way. I guess thats a Fedora. So here is my quick review I have had the hat now for about 3 weeks now and as I have just stated nothing has changed that much I have gotten more comfortable wearing the hat but it still feels so high on my head. More to follow

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Calling all VS Panama Hat Pictures. With the weather maybe warming up let's get out those VS Panama pictures so we can think warm thoughts.
I am looking for images to add to the VS Panama web page. So please show everyone one your VS Panama.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Calling all VS Panama Hat Pictures. With the weather maybe warming up let's get out those VS Panama pictures so we can think warm thoughts.
I am looking for images to add to the VS Panama web page. So please show everyone one your VS Panama.

Ed, would you like the pics to be posted here in this thread or over at the Hall of Fame?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Ed, what I meant was which of the two threads. I guess it doesn't matter, then.

The difference between the two threads, although perfectly clear in theory, isn't quite clear to me when I look at the posts in this new thread.
I thought the Affiliate thread was for Art himself to show his work, for the VS website updates and other news, and for interacting directly with Art; and the Hall of Fame for us to show our VS hats and discuss them (?).

Anyway, I don't want to split beaver hairs.
Here are some Montecristi Panamas blocked and trimmed by Art.

The pics are closeups of the four hats you see in the collage below. All of them have high, straight-ish crowns, blocked on different crown shapes. All have about 13 ligne black bands.

L to R and top to bottom:
VS 33x38 - 1250wpsi clear ivory 2 3/4" brim
VS 28x28 - 750+wpsi clear ivory 2 3/4" brim
VS 28x28 - 750+wpsi reddish straw 2 3/8" brim
VS 24x24 - 550+wpsi clear ivory 2 3/8" brim

Purely by coincidence, on three hats the vertical and the horizontal count is identical. It's more common for the vertical count to be a bit higher than the horizontal count.

The same hats in overview:

33x38 (left) and 28x28:

Closeup of the same, the high-count is now to the right:

Details of the 33x38:

And finally a collage of the 28x28 with reddish straw:

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Aha, the return of the the rusty spike!
Good to see those great Panamas again Nik.

I have just the one VS Panama hat, but it is quite a nice one

D31_8274-L.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
David, that's a beautiful weave on the semicalado.

Here is my most recent VS Montecristi.

30x33 - 990wpsi clear ivory, 2 3/8" brim, frayed ribbon bow and twisted knot

I have just the one VS Panama hat, but it is quite a nice one ...

Indeed it is. Contrary to the fondest beliefs (and wishes) of some, a tight-weave, high quality straw hat isn't all that cool on the head, unless it's a semi-colado, and especially unless it's one with as much open area as yours.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone have any shots of Art's straw hats? Rabbit's pics seem to have been deleted, and I'd really like to see some of Art's work. I'm seriously thinking of taking the plunge, as I think I'd be better off with him than possibly wasting hard-earned cash on something that I don't really like or doesn't quite fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot