Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage stingy brim / wide brim ?

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
I've been watching EBAY for Cavanaughs, Knox and Dobbs hats, There seems to be lots out there, especially Dobbs and less so Knox, Cavanaughs are more rare. Brim sizes. however, wider than 2 inches seem to be almost nonexistent. I assume these companies made wider brims, why don't we see more of them ?

MattJH

One Too Many
In general, the wider the brim, the older the hat. More time for it to be permanently damaged, lost, or forgotten about I suppose.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I see them all the time in my daily searches. But I suppose it depends on what size you are looking for. I'm just looking for prime examples of Cavanagh, C&K, Dobbs, regardless of size, so I don't focus on that part. If you are a larger size, that makes a difference in availability.

Brad

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Absolutely correct. When you DO see a wider-brimmed hat in a larger size come up for auction- and they most certainly do- you'll notice that it will immediately start attracting bids, and by auction day the bidding will be intense. You really can't spare the shekels when you're bidding on a wide-brim......you WILL be shelling out some dough if you want to win.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
the LOOK

warmentrout said:
I've been watching EBAY for Cavanaughs, Knox and Dobbs hats, There seems to be lots out there, especially Dobbs and less so Knox, Cavanaughs are more rare. Brim sizes. however, wider than 2 inches seem to be almost nonexistent. I assume these companies made wider brims, why don't we see more of them ?

Really depends on the LOOK your seeking a 2" stingy brim can give
you the late 1950's, early 1960's feel. The wide brim the 1940's early
1950's feel.

Haven't looked on Ebay lately , but there have been a lot of wide brims in
the past if your were willing to pay $$$.

Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats