Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Stoves

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Pressure Cooker

Lena_Horne said:
I'll deliberately take food that has microwave instructions and go through the long oven directions because I like the way it tastes and the warmth (versus sheer heat) that the oven gives off.
L_H

I prefer the oven to the nuker also, especially for any food that's supposed to be crispy, but given the high price of natural gas lately, I've been using the microwave whenever possible.

But I think I am the only person I know of, besides my mother, who uses a pressure cooker. I love how fast it cooks things. It makes baked potatoes in 15 minutes versus an hour in the oven, and with a light and moist texture versus chewy when they're nuked. And brown rice pilaf will cook in less than half an hour. Chicken and dumplings cook in something like 20 minutes; beans, about the same. It uses little energy, conserves the nutrients, and doesn't turn the house into a sauna in the summer.

Magus

Practically Family
shamus said:
Well, the stove beat us to finishing tearing out the kitchen. So she'll have to sit and wait till were ready for her.

Here she is. A 1953 model... The pictures don't really do her justice.

Hey Shamus...did your get that done at the place in Norco, Ca?

The Pressure Cooker!

Paisley said:
I think I am the only person I know of, besides my mother, who uses a pressure cooker. I love how fast it cooks things.
My mom is a proponent of the pressure cooker. However she gave hers away when she left NY. It had been a wedding present to mom & dad from my dad's Aunt & Uncle and when mom came out to LA she gave it to the son of that Aunt & Uncle.

My mom would make Pork Chops with sauerkraut and potatoes in that thing that were unreal. She would make a brown gravy to go over the whole shebang that was heavenly. Pork chop night!

Also a dish of "Smoked Butt" to which we'd get real potato dumplings. Mouth watering now.:p

Dis

New in Town
Stunning! I cooked on a vintage gas stove for ages and refused to buy a new one because I hated the dinky burners on them. My stove did have the disadvantage of having a very small oven and some mice got up in the wall of it and tore out the insulation so I had to get a new one.

They do make 'big burner' stoves now that are nice. I got one with the whole top in iron grate to hold oversized pots. I'f I had the budget for it, I would love to go vintage again if I could find one with a large enough oven.

Food cooked over fire always tastes better than microwaved.

Trickeration

Practically Family
Here's mine

Shamus-I love the stove, it's just beautiful.

We have a 40's O'Keefe & Merritt. It's more of a base model. No griddle, clock or light, but I still like it. It's in original condition and works perfectly. We got it for $350. It has the small oven, but I've made dinner for 12 without a hitch. I love cooking on it. Now I just need the vintage fridge.

pict22561hv.jpg
pict22545sv.jpg

shamus

Suspended
it's beautiful!

The classics never go out of fashion...

I know what you mean about the fridge.. but finding a working one cheap is tough...

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Top notch Shamus!

I need one of those for my new kitchen when my home renovations are finished in ten weeks' time. (can't imagine my wife wanting to go quite THAT vintage, though . . . [huh]

KAT

A-List Customer
i posted this in another thread already

but this is the stove we really used when i was young ( that was in the 80s lol )until my parents could afford a real stove , today we use it as a decoration
so i was raised with style :p (sorry for the size and quality)

house063.jpg

KAT

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Stoves like KAT's are still sold in Chile. I've had the most wonderful food come out of them ...

and chestnuts too :essen:
they just drink "favourite summer drinks " in chile...i heard they dont need stoves lol

Candy

New in Town
Oh! ya'alls stoves!! I am so..soo..sooo insanely jealous! Have you guys seen the new/classic electric AGA?? No knobs or anything?..its such a trip!
http://www.aga-ranges.com/

I'm still in shock of all these men passionate about vintage, and stoves no less!

shamus

Suspended
just about a week away from installing the new stove... ripping out the old floor and adding new tile b/w.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy