Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Style Reference in Vernacular Photographs

Warbaby

One Too Many
Many of the vintage reference images posted here and in other threads are from the movies and vintage clothing catalogues. They're great reference images, but they often show an ideal that wasn't always met by the majority of ordinary people. I have a fairly extensive collection of vintage photographs from old family albums and I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about vintage clothing as it was worn by reg'lar folks back in the day.

I've restored the following images and if you think this is a worthwhile thread, I'll continue to add more as I get around to restoring them.

Early 1920s

BaloonBuddiesEarly1920s.jpg

College Sweaters c.1910-1915

CollegeSweatersB1.jpg

Train Station, 1920

TrainStation1920.jpg

Early 1920s

StreetBoxersEarly20s.jpg

Picnic, England, 1929

Picnic_England1929.jpg

West Texas, 1930s

WestTexasMan1930s.jpg

Gas Station, c.1940

GasStation1940.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
I'm getting some more ready to upload. In the meantime, here's one of the coolest hats I've ever seen:

NiceHat1904.jpg

NiceHat1904b.jpg

I particularly like that flamboyant bow on the ribbon. Hmmm....maybe I should talk to Art and see if he could re-create this hat...

Warbaby

One Too Many
Thanks for the contribution, J.M. - I hope that more loungers will add to this thread.

From the frequencey with which they appear in old photos, it seems that in the 1920s and 30s, riding breeches and high boots or leggings were popular women's attire for motor travel and other outdoor activities. It's a great look that deserves to be revived...

Lady_Outdoors_1930.jpg

LadyOnCar.jpg

Lady_FlatTire.jpg

car_group.jpg

campergal.jpg

That's quite the belt she's wearing. I've only seen similar belts on early motorcyclists - p'raps there's a bike stashed behind the tent...

Talbot

One Too Many
Warbaby said:
Thanks for the contribution, J.M. - I hope that more loungers will add to this thread.

From the frequencey with which they appear in old photos, it seems that in the 1920s and 30s, riding breeches and high boots or leggings were popular women's attire for motor travel and other outdoor activities. It's a great look that deserves to be revived...

campergal.jpg
[/CENTER]

That's quite the belt she's wearing. I've only seen similar belts on early motorcyclists - p'raps there's a bike stashed behind the tent...

Absolutely :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:

Absolutely! :eusa_clap Great pictures Warbaby!

Two women and Ford, 1922
2194667.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
No sir, he definitely does not look like a man to be trifled with.

Here's another from West Texas in the 30s - note that these good ol' boys are all wearing fedoras, not cowboy hats.

WestTexasBoys1930s.jpg
Unfortunately, either the hats or the facial expressions make them look like they're fixin' to run the photographer outa town on a rail.

Of course, due to the hard times, most people in the 30s had only one or two facial expressions.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An excellent Idea WB...viewing original reference material is a very informative, if not, sobering experience.

For example: This child whose name is Billie Jo was a child during the "Dust Bowl" in the United States. Little girls had to make their dolls out of straw or anything they could find such as a tumble weed. Others would build a merry-go-round out of a wagon wheel. The ones who didn’t want to make anything sat on the porch and played jacks.

sewing.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Unfortunately, either the hats or the facial expressions make them look like they're fixin' to run the photographer outa town on a rail.

Yep. I imagine the photographer was a city feller wearing something like a white linen jacket and a boater...:D

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
More everyday people, 1929. Don't know who they are but look plenty vernacular (?) to me.

notice rolled stockings on girl on the right
1929_davis_children.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21