• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Vintage Style Reference in Vernacular Photographs

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Warbaby, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Many of the vintage reference images posted here and in other threads are from the movies and vintage clothing catalogues. They're great reference images, but they often show an ideal that wasn't always met by the majority of ordinary people. I have a fairly extensive collection of vintage photographs from old family albums and I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about vintage clothing as it was worn by reg'lar folks back in the day.

I've restored the following images and if you think this is a worthwhile thread, I'll continue to add more as I get around to restoring them.

Early 1920s

[​IMG]

College Sweaters c.1910-1915

[​IMG]

Train Station, 1920

[​IMG]

Early 1920s

[​IMG]

Picnic, England, 1929

[​IMG]

West Texas, 1930s

[​IMG]

Gas Station, c.1940

[​IMG]

2. These are great, Warbaby! By all means, post more!

3. I'm getting some more ready to upload. In the meantime, here's one of the coolest hats I've ever seen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I particularly like that flamboyant bow on the ribbon. Hmmm....maybe I should talk to Art and see if he could re-create this hat...

4. This is a great thread, WB. Please do continue the informative resource.

That Texan doesn't look like a man to be trifled with, now does he?!

5. No sir, he definitely does not look like a man to be trifled with.

Here's another from West Texas in the 30s - note that these good ol' boys are all wearing fedoras, not cowboy hats.

[​IMG]

6. In a similar vein here is a couple of photos from my family's cattle ranch in Arkansas in the 30's. Also note a complete lack of cowboy hats.

[​IMG]

7. Thanks for the contribution, J.M. - I hope that more loungers will add to this thread.

From the frequencey with which they appear in old photos, it seems that in the 1920s and 30s, riding breeches and high boots or leggings were popular women's attire for motor travel and other outdoor activities. It's a great look that deserves to be revived...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's quite the belt she's wearing. I've only seen similar belts on early motorcyclists - p'raps there's a bike stashed behind the tent...

8. thunderw21

thunderw21 My Mail is Forwarded Here

That man had style.

9. Excellent, Warbaby!:)
    Rob

10. Absolutely :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

11. NicknNora

NicknNora A-List Customer

I love the photos. Thanks for sharing.

12. I absolutely love this photo, i want so badly to know where they are going, the way the girls are laughing and the guy is smiling at them it makes you think they have some great adventure planned.

13. Mid-1930s
    I want a jacket like this - I like the way he's wearing it unbuttoned but belted.

[​IMG]

Wouldn't mind having Miss Moderne either...

[​IMG]

Cruise attire, early 1930s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Absolutely! :eusa_clap Great pictures Warbaby!

Two women and Ford, 1922
    [​IMG]

15. Unfortunately, either the hats or the facial expressions make them look like they're fixin' to run the photographer outa town on a rail.

Of course, due to the hard times, most people in the 30s had only one or two facial expressions.

16. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues My Mail is Forwarded Here

An excellent Idea WB...viewing original reference material is a very informative, if not, sobering experience.

For example: This child whose name is Billie Jo was a child during the "Dust Bowl" in the United States. Little girls had to make their dolls out of straw or anything they could find such as a tumble weed. Others would build a merry-go-round out of a wagon wheel. The ones who didn’t want to make anything sat on the porch and played jacks.

[​IMG]

17. These are fantastic Warbaby! Thank you!

18. Kansas family, 1930

[​IMG]

19. Yep. I imagine the photographer was a city feller wearing something like a white linen jacket and a boater...:D

20. More everyday people, 1929. Don't know who they are but look plenty vernacular (?) to me.

notice rolled stockings on girl on the right
    [​IMG]