Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

alsendk

A-List Customer
My wife fancy these older Rayban shades.
There is a number stamped in the clear plastic ear support saying: 9260M, and small L&M cut in the glasses.
Are they really old? haven` t seen this kind before, but still I saw late John Lennon with a pair close to these?
Rayban9260M.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:
My kids got me a pair of the new, old Ray-Ban folding Aviators for Father's Day. Love them! I got the darker, polarized lenses and they're really lovely. First pair of Ray-Ban's I've owned. Very well made and the folding bit is really handy.

rayban-folding-aviator-xl.jpg

My wife fancies these older Rayban shades.There is a number stamped in the clear plastic ear support saying: 9260M, and small L&M cut in the glasses.Are they really old? haven` t seen this kind before, but still I saw late John Lennon with a pair close to these?
Those are nice and they look good on her. They look sorta Lennon-y, but now you have me thinking you married Yoko lolHowever, I think Lennon's were more round and possibly smaller. And he wore colored lenses often. I've seen rose, green, and blue lenses in some Lennon pics...

alsendk

A-List Customer
Those are nice and they look good on her. They look sorta Lennon-y, but now you have me thinking you married Yoko lolHowever, I think Lennon's were more round and possibly smaller. And he wore colored lenses often. I've seen rose, green, and blue lenses in some Lennon pics...

Dear Butte, I can assure you that my chinese wife sings a whole lot better than Yoko ....in least in my mind and ears:D
And by Googling Lennon I see your` re right about the shades.
Btw, I really like your folding in Raybans, really nice.

KevG

New in Town
Chatting with Butte on another forum brought me here..

Just got these and if any experts out there can give me a bit more info that would be greatly appreciated

BAUSCH & LOMB RAYBAN, ANTI-GLARE Made in USA

Handwritten in the case is LT A.B. Harrison JR

RB.jpg

Dear Butte, I can assure you that my chinese wife sings a whole lot better than Yoko ....in least in my mind and ears:DAnd by Googling Lennon I see your` re right about the shades.Btw, I really like your folding in Raybans, really nice.
lol - I can sing better than Yoko! Thanks on the shades. The case is a little cheesy, but usable. I can nicely fold them and place in my pocket, which is cool!

Chatting with Butte on another forum brought me here..Just got these and if any experts out there can give me a bit more info that would be greatly appreciatedBAUSCH & LOMB RAYBAN, ANTI-GLARE Made in USAHandwritten in the case is LT A.B. Harrison JR
RB.jpg
Great score, Kev. I hope you can get some info on these!

alsendk

A-List Customer
Great score, Kev. I hope you can get some info on these!

Raybanshadesvintage.jpg
[/IMG]

H <hello KevG, I was this lucky to find an old auction on Ebay, where these rayban glasses was sold for 150 Dollars, and with a lot of - hopefully valuable information. I believe you have made an exellent bargain

Here comes the information that followed the auction :O)

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION, A VINTAGE PAIR OF BAUSCH & LOMB RAY-BAN AVIATORS WITH CABLE TEMPLES IN VERY FINE, UNDAMAGED CONDITION. ALSO INCLUDED IS THE ORIGINAL LEATHER HARD CASE IN GOOD CONDITION.

THIS IS THE OLDEST PAIR OF RAY-BAN AVIATOR SUNGLASSES I'VE EVER OWNED. MY RESEARCH LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THEY ARE FROM THE LATE 1930'S OR THE EARLY 1940'S. THE CASE LOGO READS "BAUSCH & LOMB RAY-BAN ANTI-GLARE MADE IN U.S.A.". "ANTI-GLARE" WAS APPARENTLY THE ORIGINAL DESIGNATION BAUSCH & LOMB USED TO PROMOTE THEIR RAY-BAN LINE OF SUNGLASS LENSES. IT WAS DISCONTINUED VERY SHORTLY AFTER BECAUSE OF BRAND CONFUSION WHEN RIVAL COMPETITORS COPIED THE "ANTI-GLARE" DESIGNATION FOR THEIR BRANDS.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THESE ARE MILITARY ISSUE SUNGLASSES. I WOULD THINK THAT THIS PAIR IS ONE THAT WAS SOLD TO THE PUBLIC BEFORE THE WAR. I WILL ADD ANY INPUT TO THIS LISTING THAT EITHER CONFIRMS OR DISPUTES THE DATING OF THESE VINTAGE RAY-BAN SUNGLASSES.

THE FRAMES ON THESE RAY-BANS ARE MUCH LIGHTER IN WEIGHT THAN MORE MODERN VERSIONS. THE TEMPLES HAVE TOOLED DECORATIONS WHERE THEY TIE INTO THE END PIECES ON THE FRAME; NOT SEEN ON MODERN PAIRS. TEMPLES ARE ALSO HALLMARKED INSIDE "1-10 12K G.F." PLUS ANOTHER UNKNOWN STAMP. HOWEVER, THE UNDERSIDE OF THE CROSS PIECE IS STAMPED: "B&L 1/10 12K GF". THERE'S NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT THESE ARE BAUSCH & LOMB U.S.A. MADE RAY-BAN AVIATOR SUNGLASSES OF THE EARLIEST TYPE.

THE LENSES ARE A LIGHTER, DIFFERENT COLOR OF GREEN AND DO NOT HAVE THE ETCHED "B & L" MARKINGS ON THEM, LIKE MORE MODERN RAY-BANS. THE 58 MM WIDE LENSES ARE IN SURPRISINGLY GOOD CONDITION WITH ONLY MINIMAL, TINY, SHALLOW SCRATCHES THAT ARE HARD TO SEE WITH THE NAKED EYE. THE CABLES ARE STILL FLEXIBLE AND WILL KEEP THESE SUNGLASSES FROM COMING OFF OF YOUR HEAD WHEN YOU BEND OVER. THE GOLD FILLED SURFACES OF THE FRAMES ARE STILL NICE AND SHINY WITH NO APPRECIABLE LOSS OF PLATING. THE TEMPLES AREN'T FLOPPY OR EVEN LOOSE ATHE ENDPIECES OF THE FRAME. THIS IS A VERY NICE, CLEAN PAIR OF RAY-BANS THAT HAS BEEN WELL CARED FOR, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

NO DOUBT THAT THIS IS THE ORIGINAL CASE FOR THESE GLASSES. THEY FIT IT LIKE A GLOVE FITS YOUR HAND. THE LEATHER IS STILL SOFT AND SUPPLE WITH NO WEAK AREAS AND LIGHT RUB. THE GOLD EMBOSSED LETTERING IS STILL EASILY READABLE. THE HARD METAL INSERT INSIDE THE CASE LOOKS LIKE IT HAS BEEN BENT. IN FACT, THE CASE LOOKS LIKE IT IS SLIGHTLY FLATTENED. THE NOSEPIECE REST INSIDE IS STILL IN PLACE.

OVERALL DISTANCE ACROSS FRONT OF FRAME FROM ENDPIECE TO ENDPIECE IS APPROXIMATELY 135 MM. LENSES ARE RIGHT AT 50MM TOP TO BOTTOM. LENGTH OF EACH TEMPLE IS RIGHT AT 110MM TO OUTSIDE OF BOW CABLE. NO DAMAGE OR DETERIORATION TO CELLULOID NOSE PIECES. NOSE PIECES DO NEED CLEANING!

THESE OLD RAY-BAN AVIATORS HAVE SURVIVED REMARKABLY WELL OVER THE LAST 60-70 YEARS. THEY WILL MAKE A GREAT ADDITION TO YOUR COLLECTION OF RARE, VINTAGE AND HISTORICAL RAY-BAN SUNGLASSES.

Greetings
Allan

Last edited:

KevG

New in Town
Thanks allan

Excellent info

Here's the description that went with mine

WW2 USSAF BAUSCH & LOMB PILOT’S RAYBAN SUNGLASSES

A SUPERB PAIR OF ICONIC TEARDROP SHAPED SUNGLASSES AS WORN BY PILOTS .

THESE ARE IN EXCELLENT ISSUED CONDITION WITH THEIR ORIGINAL LEATHER CASE.

THE BRASS FRAMES ARE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND THE LENSES HAVE LITTLE IF ANY SCRATCHES.

THE NOSE PIECES ARE MADE FROM CREAM COLOURED PLASTIC AND THE EAR PIECES ARE CLEAR PLASTIC - ALL ARE IN GOOD USED CONDITION.

THE BROWN LEATHER CASE IS IN EXCELLENT USED CONDITION WITH USAGE MARKS WHERE THE CASE HAS BEEN PUSHED INTO POCKETS ETC.

THERE IS SOME WEAR TO THE LINING ON THE INSIDE OF THE CASE.

THE OUTSIDE OF THE FLAP IS MARKED:-

BAUSCH & LOMB

RAYBAN

ANTI-GLARE

MADE IN USA

THE BRASS PRESS STUD ON THE CASE IS MARKED B&L

THE INSIDE OF THE LEATHER FLAP HAS THE NAME OF THE PILOT WHO OWNED THEM:-

LT. A HARISSON JR.

alsendk

A-List Customer
Is there some tiny disagreement about the years, and any military purposes?
I have yet another possibility from a danish Rayban site,taking it back to1937....I will do a search there tomorrow to see if I can dig more info up.
greetings
Allan

alsendk

A-List Customer
Anti-Glare lenses were born through Ray Ban in 1937

In May 1937 Ray Ban were first created by Bausch & Lomb who patented a prototype known as Anti-Glare which made of mineral glass was used to filter out infrared and ultraviolet rays. Prior to this Lieutenant John MacCready had been on a balloon trip and suffered permanent damage to his eye from the sun. He contacted Bausch & Lomb and asked them to create a pair of Sunglasses that would provide excellent protection against the sun but also look very elegant as well and so the Ray Ban Aviators was born.

These were made with gold plated rims housing green filtered lenses made of mineral glass and were introduced to the United States Air Force where pilots adopted them straight away.
The model with the wire to be put behind the ear, was the 37` model, soon to be released for public sale.... and just a year or so after, the wire behind the ear was replaced with plastic guards as in your model, so at least yours are from year 1940.

RB3025 Gold Aviator Sunglasses as it is named today is still available
I hope these last informations will be useful also.
Good luck with your fine shades, and wear them in good health,...and in a lot of sun :O)

Rbgoldraybanaviator.jpg
[/IMG]

regards
Allan

Last edited:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Although not vintage, this is a classic-style, Italian-made pair of Persols. I recently acquired them after waiting out the statute of limitations in the lost & found where I work... :cool:

persol.jpg
[/IMG]

KevG

New in Town
Have you had a chance to wear 'em or find any more info?

Nope, not yet found out any more info - tried a search against the handwritten name in the case but no joy

Haven't had chance to wear them yet as still waiting for the summer to start here in the UK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner