Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
leonardo-dicaprio-round-sunglasses.jpg

Just saw "The Aviator" movie and loved the glasses / specs that DiCaprio wore! (Armani designed them).

Where can I get reasonably priced vintage 30's type sunglasses, either retro repro, or real..?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken

A-List Customer
I have always just wanted a general pair of aviator (as in the style, havent seen the movie yet) sunglasses but can't get a pair the right size - is there anyway you can get cistom made (sun)glasses?

Ken

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Ken, anything's possible- at any price...
You see 1940s aviator sunglasses on eBay all the time- got a mint, new old stock pair for $9 a while back- they're there if you want them and cheaper than the new RayBan versions. I have a wide face/temple, so most glasses look a little narrow on me. What's your specific problem with size.

BT.

Ken

A-List Customer
I have a very small head - size 6 5/8 or 53 cm. This means nearly all glasses are way to large for my face especially aviator ones.

Ken

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Ken,

Ray-Ban makes a 'Small' Aviator, in 52MM. Hard to find, but you can have them ordered by most mall outlets.

American Optical is re-issuing the classic aviator(called the GENERAL), which is more true to the WWII style, and it comes in a wide range of sizes. It's also about $40 cheaper than a pair of Ray-Bans at $50.

U.S. Wings for once gets somthing right.

http://www.uswings.com/sunglasses.asp#General

As for prewar stuff, the look is a thin steel wire frame and 100% circular lenses, with either very dark gray lenses or GREEN lenses. I have a pair like this, but they're a mild prescription, and hurt my eyes.

android

One of the Regulars
Vintage Sunglasses -Merged Thread-

I've been meaning to get a new pair of Wayfarers and finally made it to the Hut of Sunglasses to take a look. Luxotica has purchased the RayBan name from B&L and packed up all fabrication equipment and hauled it to Italy.

Here's the good part. They have reintroduced the 1943 plastics in the light tortoise and black. They both come in regular and large sizes. The shape is slightly different from the "New Wayfarer", a little less extreme. The light tortoise color is also more subdued than the new tortoise color.

The hing is upgraded, but you can't see it anyway. The only annoying bit is the white RayBan logo on the corner of the lens. I bought a tortoise pair and wil go back for a black pair soon. Sticker price is $79.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
OK- the ones I have are old and the frames are dark tortoise or brown and the whole top bar is black(and the arms I think)- I don't know what they're called- if that style/colorway of Wayfarer has a name. Actually, I'm not sure if that have the 'Wayfarer' name marked on them. They're vintage B&L though and have the etched monogram.
I also have some nice old B&L etched, black framed, dk. green lens safety glasses. The lenses are marked 'BL2'.

Are these ones of your classic Wayfarer style or different? or does the photo have a bit of distortion?
BT.

matei

One Too Many
Ray-Ban "Clubmasters"?

Does anyone know anything about Ray-Ban "Clubmaster" shades? They are somewhat more stylish looking than the Wayfarers. Any idea when Ray-Ban introduced them? They look rather retro...

Zach R.

Practically Family
The Wayfarer was introduced in 1952, I don't know the exact year but I do know that the Clubmaster model was released not too far after.

I only own a pair of Aviators with the "wrap-around" ear-pieces(the exact term escapes me at the moment).

matei

One Too Many
Thanks for the info. I was looking for something "classic", but I didn't want to go the aviator route 'cos they don't look good on me. I did have a pair of black Wayfarers, but in my mind they'll forever be associated with the eighties!

I've just bid on a pair of tortoise-shell Wayfarer II shades...

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
th_WhiteHouseport1copy.jpg
th_summerport2.jpg
What I do is buy old frames from the 40s-50s and have an optical shop put in shaded lenses. There's a bit of a cost to it, but they become one-of-a-kind sunglasses.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Sunglasses -Merged Thread-

Unfortunately for me my eyes are quite light sensitive so I'm always wearing sunglasses outside even with a hat on. An accident cooked my eyes so theyre open a little wider than they should be. makes it great for my night vision though. :)

Does anybody recognise the style of specs that Jeff Bridges is wearing in this image?
http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/movie/seabiscuit/01.jpeg

I would love to be able to wear something a little more period than my Serrigetti's. The dark amber lenses are perfect because they cut most of the glare that causes the irritation without being too dark. If anyone has some info on this I would be most greatful. Thanks for the help folks!

Cheers!

Dan

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Lauren and I bought a bunch of deadstock early 30's sunglasses that look more like the kind Bridges' wife wears, but they are unisex. I wear them. I'll post a link, from the suit section, where I am wearing them. We may still have a pair left to sell. They are original deadstock. Of course you wouldn't receive the original card because it's one large card holding... I think originally 20 sunglasses. We sold 3/4 of them and kept a couple for ourselves.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Daniel. I would like to see them. Are the lenses the dark amber or the gray/green color? I find the dark amber lenses very versatile in different lighting conditions. Thanks again.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner