Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

decodoll

Practically Family
Daniel Riser said:
Lauren and I bought a bunch of deadstock early 30's sunglasses that look more like the kind Bridges' wife wears, but they are unisex. I wear them. I'll post a link, from the suit section, where I am wearing them. We may still have a pair left to sell. They are original deadstock. Of course you wouldn't receive the original card because it's one large card holding... I think originally 20 sunglasses. We sold 3/4 of them and kept a couple for ourselves.

That sounds like it might be what I've been looking for. If you have anymore to sell, I'd be interested. :)

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Daniel, though the original picture is only a side view they appear to be a very typical 30s or 40s round lens, wire frame pair. That is, they are like the characteristic period "granny specs" (such as John Lennon used to wear, loathe as I am to cite his name in this forum) but with tinted lenses. I have seen a few on ebay over the years.

If you can't find any civilian ones try searching for a pair of WW2 RAF flying sunglasses. These have steel frames and very dark tinted round lenses. These are not like your US aviator spex, they have small, round lenses.
Failing that, the RAF issued a similar pattern for many years after the war but with a crossbar as well as the nosebar - I have just sold a pair on ebay myself!

The RAF ones are probably the finest sunglasses I know of, and I have owned or sold an awful lot of period glasses. And they have this great advantage: they were designed as sunglasses not as a fashion accessory - so they will give your eyes the kind of protection you want as well as looking seriously cool.

Incidentally, if you wear prescription glasses you can find original 30s and 40s round lens glasses very cheaply on ebay and you can buy beautiful period tinted clipons for next to nothing -unlike modern clip ons they actually appear to be part of the glasses.

Hope this is of help! if you want I can try and get you a pic of my RAF glasses.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
These are a pair of wartime RAF specs that I plucked off eBay a while back.
vsg2.jpg

Brand spanking new-
B
T

nightandthecity

Practically Family
nice example BT! I won't ask how much you paid! Daniel - that should give you a good idea of what they are like, but the lenses are actually a lot darker than it looks in the pic

nightandthecity

Practically Family
BT, how did you post your picture? I can't seem to find an attachment feature anywhere on this site. I looked all over " reply to thread" and Control panel. A little box on my viewing pages say's I can't post attachments. Any advice?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
nightandthecity said:
BT, how did you post your picture? I can't seem to find an attachment feature anywhere on this site. I looked all over " reply to thread" and Control panel. A little box on my viewing pages say's I can't post attachments. Any advice?

Night'- you gotta use an image host- like www.photobucket.com
upload yer pics to the host, then copy and paste the or what have you string into yer message- the string is just a link which conjures the image into yer message. The images aren't hosted here at all- you cannot 'attach' directly.

O and BTW, the RAF specs were $9.99. :p

B :kick:

nightandthecity

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Night'- you gotta use an image host- like www.photobucket.com
upload yer pics to the host, then copy and paste the or what have you string into yer message- the string is just a link which conjures the image into yer message. The images aren't hosted here at all- you cannot 'attach' directly.

O and BTW, the RAF specs were $9.99. :p

B :kick:[/QUOTE]

thanks BT - I'll give photobucket a try.

BTW: did you say 9.99??? [B]9.99???? [/B] I'm green! Ebay can be a real buyers market, especially if you put a bit of effort into the search!

drjones

A-List Customer
Sunglass hunt

hi everyone. Im new here. I am trying to locate or figure out where to search online to get a pair of the glasses the invisible man wears. Anyone have any ideas? Im not talking about the goggles. I mean the square sunglasses. Any help would be appreciated.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I would post your own thread that people can specifically see what you're looking for.

General attire is the perfect section.

oh yeah and...

Welcome to the board!!!

Robert C

New in Town
USN Sunglasses

Folks,

I put up a post of WWII USN sunglasses (with photo) made by Willsonite on the WWII discussion but haven't had any bites over there. I'm trying to find a pair of these. If anyone can help out I'd really apprecaite it. There seems to be a little more action on this discussion board...

Regards,
Robert Calandriello

Baggers

Practically Family
Robert,
I've seen the posts on both boards, and honestly, that picture you've posted doesn't help much at all. If it weren't for the fact that you stated they were clear plastic framed, I wouldn't have known. The guy's just too far away and his head's turned too much in profile to really glean any worthwhile info.

Sorry, but unless you come up with a better image you may not get much in the way of help.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Robert C said:
Scroll down further for a picture of the glasses themself....

Rob

Rob,
Are you referring to this thread? 'Cause there ain't nothin' to scroll down to. Or the other thread in the WW2 section where Zemke Fan posted a picture of what he thought you were writing about? [huh]

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot