Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I've been wondering what a good pair on vintage sun glasses would look like, maybe ones that date from the early 30's? I've seen two that I really like that come from that era. #1 would be the glasses worn by Sherrif Cooley in O' Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) and #2 would have to be the Invisible Man's sunglasses in the Invisible Man (1933).

invisible%20man.jpg

All I can get you right now is the Invisible Man's sunglasses. Man, that guy was so nuts its was awsome! I love it when characters go completely insane.

Would anywhere know where I can get sunglasses like the listed and also, does anyone have any vintage sunglasses they'd like to share?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Polaroid

So, they're not technically vintage being only from the 1960s, but I realized I needed some retro shades to go with my stingy-brimmed hats, so I set out on a mission. I am now the very proud owner of two pairs of 60s Polaroid Cool Ray sunglasses, one is the model "Social Eyes" and the other model #150/year-round, the former awesome zebra/tortoise shell and the latter black (these might even be 50s).

Polaroid, maker of all manner of films, and lenses, and filters, etc., makes the best sunglasses I've ever worn. Any photographer knows the amazing and varied uses of a "polarizing" filter; well these sunglasses are like have high-tech lenses covering your eyes. The brown ones totally obliterate all bright light. The year-round lenses really are a perfect balance between cutting out the light and letting it in; I go from bright sunlight indoors to a shop without blinking an eye.

Both pairs were bought on eBay. The first I bought, the brown pair, the seller thought they were Ray Bans because he could only make out the "Ray" part of "Cool Ray". That first pair I was so wowed by I got a second pair as soon as I could. Not only are they really top-notch shades, they have style to spare (I'll post photos as soon as I can). They are regularly available on eBay and highly recommended. Search for "cool ray" and "polaroid sunglasses." You can't go wrong.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Wow, those polaroid glasses sound like the s***! You know, I've been thiking of going for a 50's inspired style for the summer weather. Wearing coats probably wont work out in a Southern California summer climate =/

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Two old Polaroids

Here's the first pair I bought. It doesn't look like it because of the light, but these lenses are actually quite dark. This is Cool Ray model Social Eyes (also in my avatar).

socialeyes.jpg

These are the model #150, year-round lenses. Again, because of the light, these look much darker than they really are. You can see my eyes through these lenses when I wear them. With the brown ones above, you can't so much.

coolray150.jpg

Looking at the hinges and logos and stuff on the black ones, they look to be the older ones. Their lenses are a light yellow, where the brown ones have dark grey lenses.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I Love those glasses...

e4459a02.jpg
Hi Chevalier, I've got these in black as part of my Luftwaffe impression.

3f199e48.jpg
Here's a close-up of me, the Oberst wearing them.

e391d62a.jpg
Here is an actual Luftwaffe photo of some experten wearing his sonnenbrille.

-dixon cannon ...my little icon wears them too!!

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Zach R. said:
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I was recently inspired to buy a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarer IIs to accompany my Outdoorsman II Aviators. I just snagged them off the 'bay:

5b_1.JPG

They are the larger Polarized 54mm model.

Wow, great looking sunglasses! I´ve always been meaning to get a pair of Ray Bans, but they´re hard to come by and relatively expensive here. And to make things worse, I tend to lose a pair of sunglasses now and then. :(

Regards, A.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Had a Wayfarer II some years ago. (Actually, I still have it, only I wear it very seldom since I learned daylight's good against depression :D ).

I picked this style of specs because a) they look bloody sharp, and b) I needed large and really dark glasses, because my eyes are very sensitive to light. OK, exchange a and b.

I seriously considered printing cards saying

You might think you're the first, but in fact you're # X
to tell me "Ah, Mafia, eh?" in this season.

I'm not joking. One more summer and I'd have printed those, with continuously counted numbers. (I confess I might have started the numbers at something like 50.)

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
Vintage Sunglasses -Merged Thread-

Hi everyone,
I would like to get some retro shades but I have no idea what the gentleman of the 1940's wore?
Anyone can help me out with information, source, pictures etc.?
Any help will be appreciated,
Christoph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot