Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sword.....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have this Sword that was given to me by my Uncle, I don't know where he had gotten it from, nor do I know how old it is or from what era it is from.....that's why I'm posting it here, in hopes that I can find out more info on it. Perhaps like it's age, or maybe what war it might have been used in, was it an officers sword, etc....

Not that I would ever get rid of it, but I'd also love to know it's value, if any? [huh] Thanks for looking.

Sword1.jpg

Sword5.jpg

Sword2.jpg

Sword3.jpg

Sword7.jpg

Sword4.jpg

This is the only engraving on the sword.....

Sword6.jpg

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
The name Henry Boker above the hilt might help. Boker cutlery has a web site and they are a major knife manufacturer. Check with them, they probably would be able to tell you a lot. Good Luck.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Herman Boker imported swords from his brother, Henry (Heinrich), in Germany. He held contracts for over 45,000 cavalry sabers, 1646 artillery sabers, and 569 NCO swords.

Foreign Marks
Many of these names are listed primarily as a reference, since I don’t have pictures from all of them or details about how many and what variety of blades were made. A rule of thumb with imported cavalry sabers is that most imports were of the M1840 model, and the handles of these were made of smooth wood, wrapped in string, then leather, then covered with the wire wrap. A few of these German manufacturers may not have made US regulation patterns, but were in business during the Civil War.

At the beginning of the war, several of the larger sword making companies imported a great number of swords, stamped them as their own, and then passed them on to the government to fulfill contracts. Ames imported 10,000 foreign made cavalry sabers in 1861, while Boker and Mansfield & Lamb both imported 18,000 that year. These blades might possibly bear marks of the original makers on the tangs, but it is impossible to tell without disassembling the sword.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/swordcollector/marks/page1.html

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Cavalry sabres

Don't assume that this sword was a mere ceremonial decoration. During the Civil War cavalry officers carried a sword and a pistol. In most situations the sabre was the weapon of choice. If you're on horseback, in a melee of fighting men, the slash of the sabre was the most effective way to defend yourself. And a sabre never ran out of ammunition. This sword may very easily have been blooded in battle!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Something about it doesn't ring true for the CW era. It sure looks later ... 1880-1920? Possibly a military hanger from the Spanish-American War era, although most likely never having seen any combat. Not a dress sword, as its not nearly elaborate enough.

Richard

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
Don't assume that this sword was a mere ceremonial decoration. During the Civil War cavalry officers carried a sword and a pistol. In most situations the sabre was the weapon of choice. If you're on horseback, in a melee of fighting men, the slash of the sabre was the most effective way to defend yourself. And a sabre never ran out of ammunition. This sword may very easily have been blooded in battle!
Well I can tell you.....it sure has held quite an edge over the years. I'm a butcher and been around knives for the past 25 yrs. and can tell you it is very good steel.

Thanks for all the feedback, very much appreciated. :eusa_clap

Story

I'll Lock Up
Fancier (possibly Officer's issue) 1860 Boker.

See here
http://www.civilwarantiqueshop.com/sw20.htm
Model 1860 Cavalry Sword - Maker marked Henry Boker Solingen, the 34" blade has light nicking, nothing extreme, slight bend near tip. Leather grip & wire shows honest wear & use and remain very good, brass guard excellent with a nice patina. Scabbard is good condition with a light rust surface, very small dent in drag area. Honest good looking sword overall. - Price is $ 850.00 plus shipping and insurance. Item - SW-20-485

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Some of my blades

Hello - Here's a couple pix of a rapier (c. 17th cent.) and some smaller arms (real Ghurka Khukri, Chinese court sword, African spearpoint, Middle Eastern dagger) on display in my study at home. Cool thread!

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy