Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage tableware

Mickey D

One of the Regulars
Here's a little espresso cup and saucer made in England by Cauldon Ltd. c. 1905-1920
Love the design.

BEnglishEspresso.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Universal Cambridge Circus

As most of you know, Ebay is a dangerous place. ;) Just type the word "Deco" into the Search box and BAAAD things can happen!
So, here's the result of my searches.

First, I really needed a napkin holder, and found this little gem.
KitchenJan23Napkinholder.jpg

Goes nice with the lamp over the door.
Kitchen02-02-09006reduced.jpg

Then I found it. "My pattern"! I've wanted a nice every day dish pattern that would go with the straight 1937 look I've been trying to do in my 1937 apartment. Voila! Universal Cambridge Potteries, Cambridge, Ohio! They made many lines of nice, attractive and very durable china, from around 1934 til 1954. This pattern, "Circus" was produced from 1937 till 1954. I've been making myself crazy trying to decide whether to paint my cabinets white, and what to do about the very blue counter tops. The blue in these dishes solves that problem brilliantly. The cabinets WILL be white . . . some day.
Here's an array of different bowls, small and large, and custard cups I picked up.
KitchenJan23MiscCircusbowls.jpg

There was only 1 dinner plate that I could find, so I grabbed it. I'm on the look out for more. Eventually I'd like to build up a set of 4 of everything.
KitchenJan23dinnerplate.jpg

There are several sizes of bowls with lids that were produced. I thought this lid would fit one of the bowls I bought, but it didn't. Luckily it fits one of my existing bowls just fine. These were produced right before plastic refrigerator containers were developed. I suspect that thay keep food tastier, because of the lack of plasticky smell. I'll find out, I guess.
KitchenJan23lid.jpg

My 2 real prizes are a pitcher and a cake platter. The platter is going up on the wall, and the pitcher will find a conspicuous shelf somewhere.
KitchenJan23Circuspitcher.jpg

KitchenJan23platter.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Clarice Cliff

Funny you should mention. When I moved out of Brooklyn to the Bronx, I discovered I had a set of 5 plates that my wife had picked up at a flea market or antique store ages ago. There were originally 6, but moving always has its casualties. They had a nice elegant but conservative floral pattern. I checked the back and saw Clarice Cliff's name. So I Googled the name and discovered her. The pattern I have is Harvest, from 1939, not much like her wild Crocus and Bizarre stuff, but still quite nice.
Yes, if you see any "Circus" stuff, especially dinner and desert plates, please let me know.
So pleased you approve! I thought this was an interesting alternative to Fiesta. There is really an interesting variety of vintage every day dinner ware out there, if you look.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Wedgewood pattern, "Amherst", issued in 1984 but looks deco enough! We chose Wedgewood because at the time we were married, we were assured that Wedgewood never discontinues a pattern. Seems they lied. But I have service for 9, so that should be plenty!

With it I use my 1937 "Coronation" silver plate from Community, and easy pattern to find so I have a lot of it.

Glassware varies between random clear vintage glass, and the set I recently go of eight each, water goblets and wineglasses, which are cobalt with clear stems.

I have a ton of silver plate serving dishes, I pick them up all the time at thrift stores and with a little silver polish, they look great.

Here's pics from a dinner party...before I got the cobalt glasses...

Photo_121608_004.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_003.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_002.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_001.jpg
[/IMG]

jsands

New in Town
Perhaps this isn't the correct thread to place this, but one of my favorite dish-sets is the vintage saladbowl set that I aquired. It's made of bakelite, and is in the shape of a magnolia. I used to have the tongs for this set, however when we moved, an entire box of our kitchen things were lost by the moving company.. and my tongs along with it. :( I'd love to know if there were replacements for these, and even moreso if there was a dinnerware set!

S8304122.jpg

S8304123.jpg

Unfortunately, they don't see much use. I use the large bowl for popcorn when hubby and I have a movie night, but otherwise they sit in the cubboard and just look pretty. I'm somewhat afraid to use them; I don't want them to become stained. The small blue salad dishes are a very small portion, as well.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss 1929 said:
I have a Wedgewood pattern, "Amherst", issued in 1984 but looks deco enough! We chose Wedgewood because at the time we were married, we were assured that Wedgewood never discontinues a pattern. Seems they lied. But I have service for 9, so that should be plenty!

Gorgeous layout, Miss 1929!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Oh yes I can see why you fell in love with this pattern, its ever so Deco looking at first glance, I thought it was Alfred Meakin's "Marigold" "Princess Shape"

bimg_0272.jpg

Miss 1929 said:

With it I use my 1937 "Coronation" silver plate from Community, and easy pattern to find so I have a lot of it.

Glassware varies between random clear vintage glass, and the set I recently go of eight each, water goblets and wineglasses, which are cobalt with clear stems.

I have a ton of silver plate serving dishes, I pick them up all the time at thrift stores and with a little silver polish, they look great.

Photo_121608_004.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_003.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_002.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_001.jpg
[/IMG]

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:

Photo_121608_004.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_003.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_002.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_001.jpg
[/IMG]

That layout is so elegant- congratulations for setting a gorgeous table

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Miss 1929 said:

Photo_121608_004.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_003.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_002.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo_121608_001.jpg
[/IMG]

"Deluxe food on Deluxe dishes, what could be better?"

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Very nice settings Miss 1929!

My dinnerware isn't vintage (Pfalzgraff Heirloom) and neither is the silverware I use everyday, but I was recently given silverware that belonged to my great aunt, and it's a 126 piece set of Prestige Plate (Distinction design). What I've found on that design so far eludes to it being popular in the early 50's. That and people are selling the dinner forks for $20 a pop! I don't plan on selling the set though. It'd be something nice to pass on in the future, and for now I'll bring it out during gatherings and festive occasions.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
French Flatware

dhermann1: You certainly picked a rare pattern! I was going to suggest replacements.com, but they don't even have your pattern listed. Even on eBay right now, there's only one item listed in your pattern. Good luck! Sorry I couldn't help!

I'm back in this thread to ask for some help. Williams-Sonoma used to sell a flatware pattern called Brasserie (they still sell the plates, I think) with a white porcelain handle. They've since discontinued it. When I was in Paris a couple years ago, I found a similar set in a porcelain store. They only had forks, knives, and soup spoons, and unfortunately I wasn't in a spending mood that day. I regret not making the purchase, and despite the wonders of modern technology, I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE online. Can anyone help? Have you ever seen this type of flatware new or vintage? THANKS!

Foofoogal

Banned
dhermann1
I have run across 2 pieces of your set in real world but both had issues. One a bowl with lots of stains and crazing and a syrup pitcher with a crack.
Now I cannot go anywhere without looking for your pieces. :eusa_doh:

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Google Products

Thanks, Foofoogal! Perhaps I'll just have to start saving up my nickels and go back to Paris... Maybe I'll get lucky and that little store will still have some in stock!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:

Photo_121608_004.jpg
[/IMG]

Sara, you set an elegant table. Just beautiful!

We have what I believe is a juvenille sized fork and knife in Coronation. It was given to my Mom for her first birthday. It has her name enscribed on the blank tip end on the front and the date 8-10-41 on the back.

I don't have a formal China collection yet but I do have all my crystal stemware from Galway (modern day Irish cut crystal) including a great champagne bucket.

My everyday dishes are Mikasa Italian Countryside but I'm trying to replace them with a set of Vernonware from the 50's. A lot of the 50's patterns I see are atomic inspired and Vernonware has those too but also offer other patterns. I need something that won't completely fight with my Belleek and the pretty pink and blue atomic patterns wage a war, lol.

As an example, here's their Gingham pattern:
il_155x125.118536724.jpg

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Metlox/Vernon Della Robbia

VernonDellaRobbia.jpg

We had this pattern growing up. I think my mom might still have a box full of it in the basement. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure I ever really liked it! :)

Supposedly it was in production from 1965 to 1986. We had the 1965 version, and the hand-painted fruit and flowers were more delicate than the later version.

Foofoogal

Banned
I picked up 2 little oyster individual dishes as they were so cute. Have a little seagull.

After research I found 5 pages on Replacements of Bing and Grondahl Seagull pattern from 1950s.
:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:
I think I am a goner. What a beautiful pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy