Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Flicka

One Too Many
That only applies to wines that have actually seen grapes. Mad Dog is only fortified wine---mostly malt liquor or neutral grain spirits---like rubbing alcohol. :p

Actually, it applies to fermented drinks, like wine or beer, but not distilled alcohol like grain spirits. They just evaporate.

Antway, I've never heard of these drinks you speak of. Here, the drunks always drank brännvin or Marinella (a bitter aperitif which used to be the most bang for your buck here). When I did my court training (which is something like a mix of being a clerk and a junior judge when you get to try simpler cases on your own) I fined a great number of poor bums for drinking Marinella in public.

Actually, it applies to fermented drinks, like wine or beer, but not distilled alcohol like grain spirits. They just evaporate.

Antway, I've never heard of these drinks you speak of. Here, the drunks always drank brännvin or Marinella (a bitter aperitif which used to be the most bang for your buck here). When I did my court training (which is something like a mix of being a clerk and a junior judge when you get to try simpler cases on your own) I fined a great number of poor bums for drinking Marinella in public.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't cook with Mad Dog. :p

We call that Drunk in Public here. They get a trip to the drunk tank to sober up.

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
Cal EPA is doing their best to drive dairy farms out of California and the suburban sprawl is making a lot of Southern California Dairy property worth too much. The tract builders would love to build on every acre to provide housing.

Yeah, we have maybe 10 or 12 dairies here that came from right around Chino.

dnjan

One Too Many
and yet it wasn't that many years ago that California claimed to be the largest cheese-producing state in the country. Maybe that is what they are trucking all that milk in for.

dnjan

One Too Many
I'd believe that if I hadn't heard it from someone at the dairy display at the Minnesota State Fair.
(though probably both are true)

Flicka

One Too Many
We call that Drunk in Public here. They get a trip to the drunk tank to sober up.

Nope, not the same. We have that too - we call 'em LOB. It's a law that states that when someone is too drunk to take care of themselves, the police may take them into custody until they sober up. But it's not a crime (at least not here). What I'm talking about is a law that forbids the consumption of alcohol in public places. The first sip when you're stone sober is as illegal as the last one when you're falling down drunk and one sip is enough. So the drunks would say they'd only put the bottle to their lips, which is not illegal, but they never drank from it, which would be illegal. A police witness would then state that he/she had seen "swallowing motions" and I would fine the poor bum the equivalence of 50 dollars which he would never be able to pay. The main point to them was usually that the police also confiscates the bottle. I once had a guy who'd gotten busted three times in one day and he was very displeased he'd lost three whole good bottles!

Nope, not the same. We have that too - we call 'em LOB. It's a law that states that when someone is too drunk to take care of themselves, the police may take them into custody until they sober up. But it's not a crime (at least not here). What I'm talking about is a law that forbids the consumption of alcohol in public places. The first sip when you're stone sober is as illegal as the last one when you're falling down drunk and one sip is enough. So the drunks would say they'd only put the bottle to their lips, which is not illegal, but they never drank from it, which would be illegal. A police witness would then state that he/she had seen "swallowing motions" and I would fine the poor bum the equivalence of 50 dollars which he would never be able to pay. The main point to them was usually that the police also confiscates the bottle. I once had a guy who'd gotten busted three times in one day and he was very displeased he'd lost three whole good bottles!

Three whole bottles! :rofl:
If we had that law here the jails couldn't hold all the people the police rounded up. lol lol lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For that matter, whatever happened to the idea of the "town drunk," that stumbling lout who everybody knew, felt sorry for, and gave a wide berth? There was a time when drinking to excess was a shameful thing that brought reproach on yourself and your family. Now it's an excuse for another round of Facebook pix.

For that matter, whatever happened to the idea of the "town drunk," that stumbling lout who everybody knew, felt sorry for, and gave a wide berth? There was a time when drinking to excess was a shameful thing that brought reproach on yourself and your family. Now it's an excuse for another round of Facebook pix.

[video=youtube_share;sL9TunUh_bw]http://youtu.be/sL9TunUh_bw[/video]

What I'm talking about is a law that forbids the consumption of alcohol in public places. The first sip when you're stone sober is as illegal as the last one when you're falling down drunk and one sip is enough. So the drunks would say they'd only put the bottle to their lips, which is not illegal, but they never drank from it, which would be illegal.

Sounds a bit like the infamous "I didn't inhale" defense. :rofl:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Canadian Penny no more

web-budget-penn_1390177cl-8.jpg

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-to-scrap-the-penny-this-year/article2386120/

Canada is ending penny production this year.

“It costs taxpayers a penny-and-a-half every time we make one,” Finance Minister Jim Flaherty told the Commons, adding the move will save taxpayers $11-million annually.

That is dirt cheap next to how much it costs us to make the penny and the nickel. It costs the US 2.41 cents for every penny it makes and 11.18 cents for every nickel. Sixty two percent more than it costs Canada. :eusa_doh::rolleyes: Over the past six years we have gone into the red $359.8 million to produce pennies and nickels. Perhaps it is time for us to save some money as well. There is a bill out there in Congress that proposes making both of them out of steel---saving anywhere from $30 to 100 million dollars a year.

That is dirt cheap next to how much it costs us to make the penny and the nickel. It costs the US 2.41 cents for every penny it makes and 11.18 cents for every nickel. Sixty two percent more than it costs Canada. :eusa_doh::rolleyes: Over the past six years we have gone into the red $359.8 million to produce pennies and nickels. Perhaps it is time for us to save some money as well. There is a bill out there in Congress that proposes making both of them out of steel---saving anywhere from $30 to 100 million dollars a year.

Sounds like they need to recycle them some how. The dumps must be full of old pennies and nickles that have worn out. They need to figure out a way to make inexpensive retreads or something.;)

Sounds like they need to recycle them some how. The dumps must be full of old pennies and nickles that have worn out. They need to figure out a way to make inexpensive retreads or something.;)

Retreads! lol lol lol Steel coinage is more like what we are going to get. I know it reminds many of something you might have received in change from the old Soviet Union but it certainly would save the taxpayer money we could well use other places. :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We tried steel pennies during the war, and they were highly unpopular -- once the zinc coating wore off they rusted badly and didn't work well in vending machines. Maybe we should just push the boat all the way out and adopt plastic coins --

09b.jpg

I'm sure there's a nice factory in China where they'd make them for us.

We tried steel pennies during the war, and they were highly unpopular -- once the zinc coating wore off they rusted badly and didn't work well in vending machines. Maybe we should just push the boat all the way out and adopt plastic coins --

09b.jpg

I'm sure there's a nice factory in China where they'd make them for us.

They can have a chip inside to track their use. Double Sparkling Happiness Factory in Jungjin or Sung Bae Prastics in Xieching. Ask for Uncle Wong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou