Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

dnjan

One Too Many
Having typed that I now have an overwhelming sense of nostalgia for the days when you could go out for the night and at least 50% of the girls were trying to look like Siouxsie Sioux.
Now a lot of them look like they are trying to be "working girls".

BigFitz

Practically Family
Well, I'm not sure if this qualifies as vintage but I fondly remember what a treat it was to go to the Dairy Queen and get a JET. Anyone else remember it?
Had to be chocolate.

4087.jpg

jet.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Go on line or ask a goth how many types of goths there are. You will be there all day. I assure you, to young people, there ar just as many distinctions and subtle sartorial cues as to which group people belong. True, media may have become more pervasive, and styles may be more universal, but this just creates more entrenched sub cultures and rebellious looks.

Remember, back in our day, we were all punk rockers to old people.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
It seems to me, the lovable town drunk of movie and tv fame, was a rather naively positive portrayal of what we would now consider a homeless bum, or a shameful alcoholic that nobody cares about or looked out for. this is not the same as a frat boy binge drinking. This is a chronic alcoholic. I find the Andy Griffithesque portrayal quite ridiculous, but the way we treat the equivalent today is no better.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think with all the funny-drunk talk my original point's been lost. I didn't say the town drunks of the past were *lovable* characters -- quite the opposite. They were stigmatized and disgraced, a dishonor to themselves and their families, and the very idea of public intoxication was considered shameful and humiliating. The idea of making a big deal about "getting wasted," which you hear among a lot of otherwise respectable people today, would have been incomprehensible in the world I grew up in.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A teenager or early-20something getting drunk or wasted is only cool/fun/humorous to those in his/her immediate subgroup. Elders usually don't appreciate it, at least in any world I've been a part of. And elders who engaged in it (on a regular basis when I was young were not a part of my parents social circle. In fact, I don't hang around with habitual drunks now, either.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's plenty of pinheaded thirty-and-fortysomethings around here whose main form of recreation is getting smashed, and I see them staggering up the street most every night, usually bleary-eyed women smelling of generic filters and Allen's Coffee Brandy. Our most popular local taxicab company's slogan is "You do the drinking -- we'll do the driving."

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I think with all the funny-drunk talk my original point's been lost. I didn't say the town drunks of the past were *lovable* characters -- quite the opposite. They were stigmatized and disgraced, a dishonor to themselves and their families, and the very idea of public intoxication was considered shameful and humiliating. The idea of making a big deal about "getting wasted," which you hear among a lot of otherwise respectable people today, would have been incomprehensible in the world I grew up in.

I agree with you on that. The other night a co-worker and I had had a similar discussion dealing with manner of dress. We both remembered a time where regardless of an individual or family socio-economic status, people always dressed neat because it was a reflection on not only you, but your family. If you went into a local store that your family did business with, you were always respectful and dressed appropriately because it was a reflection not only on you but your family. If weren’t respectful and neat your family would hear about and your parents would not tolerate it.

I agree with you on that. The other night a co-worker and I had had a similar discussion dealing with manner of dress. We both remembered a time where regardless of an individual or family socio-economic status, people always dressed neat because it was a reflection on not only you, but your family. If you went into a local store that your family did business with, you were always respectful and dressed appropriately because it was a reflection not only on you but your family. If weren’t respectful and neat your family would hear about and your parents would not tolerate it.

Definitely. Now everyone dresses like they are going to go mow the lawn---everywhere.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Appropriate dress is a lost concept among so many. I'm not a religious person but on the occasions I do go to services I am shocked at the garb I see. If you go to a job interview you hopefully try to show respect for yourself and the potential employer. I see folks going to church in shorts, sneaks, sweats you name it. If that's the best you have so be it but to roll out of bed and go to His house dressed for a basketball game or picnic is beyond my comprehension. Thanks for the vent forum.
Tom D.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Appropriate dress is a lost concept among so many. I'm not a religious person but on the occasions I do go to services I am shocked at the garb I see. If you go to a job interview you hopefully try to show respect for yourself and the potential employer. I see folks going to church in shorts, sneaks, sweats you name it. If that's the best you have so be it but to roll out of bed and go to His house dressed for a basketball game or picnic is beyond my comprehension. Thanks for the vent forum.
Tom D.

The Lord is doesn't care about appearances, but rather looks to the inner man and discerns the attitudes of the heart; it isn't so much the issue of what people wear per se as what attitude underlies it. You are absolutely right in observing that for some it's all they have, which is fine, but I suspect in most cases the careless dress stems from a lack of reverence for God and a careless attitude, and I'm fairly sure God is not impressed with such cases.

The reverse is also true that if people are "dressing to impress" and to be seen by others when going to church because they want to glorify themselves, God is equally unimpressed.

The best thing is to wear nice clothing out of love, respect, and reverence for God, even if the nicest you have is a polo shirt and some nice jeans, and be concerned with what He thinks of your heart attitude as opposed to what others think of your mode of dress.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My father still occasionally complains that I dress too sharply. I still don't care. Tonight all we did was go for a walk and I wore a bowtie and my blue trilby.

On the way, we ran into a nurse who we were friendly with. She worked at the nursing-home where my grandmother lived, before she died last year. She's a lovely woman, and had very fond memories of my grandmother, saying that she was a pleasure to look after. Seeing that I was her favourite grandson (granny's words, not mine), I felt a little prouder, and I was glad I made the effort to dress up properly before going out.

I agree though. The concept of dressing acceptably has just gone out the window over the past 20-30 years.

I went out for a dinner with my cousin, my parents and my brother a couple of nights ago. My brother asked if I was going out for a fancy-dress party (his words, not mine). I wasn't sure if I should have felt complimented or insulted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany