Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

earl

A-List Customer
I'd guess comments like this started soon after radio became the new form of home entertainment. "Look at them all sitting there just listening to that darned radio; they hardly talk to each other any more." Sadly, it's gotten worse as the technology for personal entertainment and communication media has evolved, especially with the younger generations who can't conceive of a time before texting and video games.
I'd agree. Our son would rather e-mail us or text us than call. Modern tech is causing greater degrees of lack of direct human contact. Words on screens are replacing actual conversations- of course, that's ironic to say as I'm posting this to a forum.:eek: Earl

...Words on screens are replacing actual conversations- of course, that's ironic to say as I'm posting this to a forum.:eek: Earl
It does seem hypocritical to use one form of electronic communication to complain about another form of electronic communication, but I doubt anyone here would be posting messages on The Fedora Lounge while seated at the dinner table or engaged in some other form of social gathering. ;)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
It does seem hypocritical to use one form of electronic communication to complain about another form of electronic communication, but I doubt anyone here would be posting messages on The Fedora Lounge while seated at the dinner table or engaged in some other form of social gathering. ;)
I post while sitting at a tv tray sometimes, while watching tv and talking to my wife.
Does that count? :D
Then again most people these days have to check their facebook page while at gatherings.
Maybe (if I had a device) I could claim "I've gotta check my Fedora Lounge for the latest activity."

Good observation Rachel.
We had one in town that has now been converted to a regular theater.
Uh then what's the point? Now you have a bumpy lot unless you cleared out the mounds used for viewing. ;)

Oh how I miss drive in theatres...I wish they would bring them back...you can only find them now in a few towns...none where I live :/

Drive-ins have same something of a comeback here in Texas. There are several newer ones that have popped up on the last few years. Of course, the weather is such that they're year-round attractions here. I don't know if that's a factor for some parts of the country.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
rdmewaldohancock_panorama.jpg

The Waldo-Hancock Bridge, built across the Penobscot River in 1931 as the first steel-cable suspension bridge in Maine, connecting US 1 from the town of Prospect to Verona Island and the town of Bucksport. Served proudly for over seventy years before it fell victim to Deferred Maintenance and Budget Cutting. My grandfather was one of the laborers who helped build this bridge, and I always felt a bit of familial pride in crossing it, but demolition was completed this month and all that's left now are the concrete pilings and a road that doesn't go anywhere. The replacement bridge, which opened in 2006, is a futuristic concrete monstrosity that makes me queasy.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Nope. Just not a nasty low flow toilet. A full flow good old fashioned one that I flush once and done. :p

The only "Low Flow" toilet that I have is a Trenton high tank dating to '03. It has always used two gallons per flush, and is of the wash-down type. The other toilets in our house are typical syphon jet units of 'teens vintage, and use rather more water, as they haven't the head of the high tank models.

Plumbing is on my mind just now, for on Wednesday I have the plumbing rough-in inspection at the little house that I am currenty restoring.

As far as I'm concerned, a toilet ain't "old-fashioned" if the tank is connected directly to the bowl with no pipe intervening.

Last edited:
The only "Low Flow" toilet that I have is a Trenton high tank dating to '03. It has always used two gallons per flush, and is of the wash-down type. The other toilets in our house are typical syphon jet units of 'teens vintage, and use rather more water, as they haven't the head of the high tank models.

Plumbing is on my mind just now, for on Wednesday I have the plumbing rough-in inspection at the little house that I am currenty restoring.

As far as I'm concerned, a toilet ain't "old-fashioned" if the tank is connected directly to the bowl with no pipe intervening.
I have the teens vintage one. Separate tank and toilet connected by a pipe. When you flush it, you can hear Niagara Falls. :p

I once knew someone who thought all toilets were just modern-era (in)conveniences. They're unsightly, unsanitary, a waste of livable space, and he couldn't understand how anyone would want to use a toilet right there in their own home, of all places.

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Don't know if this one's been said: Hand-drawn cartoons. Almost all of the cartoons I watched in the late 90s/early 2000s were drawn out, but now they're all digital.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Don't know if this one's been said: Hand-drawn cartoons. Almost all of the cartoons I watched in the late 90s/early 2000s were drawn out, but now they're all digital.
Great observation!
The last one I remember was a Winnie The Pooh from a few years ago, maybe 2011?
I recorded it off one of the movie channels because it was in HD.
As I watched it, I realized why it looked so "retro" because it was hand drawn.
There is an article about it, but the site wouldn't come up for me.
They even brought in someone (storyboard wise) that had worked on some of the films in the 60's and 70's as a reference, giving the film it's classic drawn look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy