Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Doesn't hurt to ask for I ask that question all the time.

For me it's both parents; My Mom in 2010 and my Dad ten months later, a brother (died before I was born), both sets of grandparents and one of my uncles. And I come from a pretty small family.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Likewise. We lost both my grandparents, my uncle, and our family business in the space of fifteen months back in 1980-81, and there hasn't been a day since then I haven't thought of them. We all ask that question, whether we want to admit it or not.

Three of the people I was/am closest to, my Mom, Grandpa, and Grandma within a 12 month span which began 2 years ago on the 26th of July. I know that I have been very fortunate, but Life is cruel.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
"...To be grown up is to sit at the table with people who have died, who neither listen nor speak;
Who do not drink their tea, though they always said
Tea was such a comfort.

Run down into the cellar and bring up the last jar of raspberries; they are not tempted.
Flatter them, ask them what was it they said exactly
That time, to the bishop, or to the overseer, or to Mrs. Mason;
They are not taken in.
Shout at them, get red in the face, rise,
Drag them up out of their chairs by their stiff shoulders and shake them and yell at them;
They are not startled, they are not even embarrassed; they slide back into their chairs.

Your tea is cold now.
You drink it standing up,
And leave the house."

My father

my aunts

my grandfather and grand mother

they have all disappeared.......................will they ever come back?

I need them

Elvis Presley -- If We Never Meet Again
Recorded October 30, 1960, vocal accompaniment by The Jordanaires

[video=youtube;673nP1NYnfE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=673nP1NYnfE[/video]

Well, since this thread has taken a turn towards a rather interesting perspective, if you believe life begins at the moment of conception I suppose I could say my biological mother and father disappeared in my lifetime. If what I've been told about them is accurate, she was born in 1943 or '44 and he was born in 1941 or '42. They're both young enough to still be alive, but they disappeared from my life so they still qualify in my opinion. To be clear, I have no negative feelings about them; I've never known either of them, so how could I? They did what they thought was best at the time, and I was adopted and cared for by two wonderful people (henceforth referred to as Mom and Dad), so I have no complaints.

On that note, Dad was born in 1913 and died in 1987 (cancer); Mom was born in 1915 and died in 2004 (complications from a case of pneumonia). I often marvel at the things they lived through and experienced in their lifetimes that sometimes tend to be "romanticized" by subsequent generations--the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean War, the Kennedy assassination, the Vietnam War, the first moon landing, various advancements in technology (automotive, communication [i.e. television, computers, etc.]). All of my aunts and uncles from my parents' generation have also passed on, as have my Mother-in-law and Father-in-law (who I loved dearly).

At the age of 52, I'm reminded of a line from the last Indiana Jones movie: "We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Around here the only people who had lawn-jockeys were People From Away, and even among that class the lawn-jockeys were vastly outnumbered by iron deer and gazing balls.

Real Mainers had old tires on their lawn -- painted white, and turned inside out, with the edges cut into a serrated pattern like that of Jughead's hat. Thus decorated, the tire would be filled with soil and geraniums and pansies would be planted in it.

I haven't seen one of those in a long time, further indicating the erosion of my traditional native culture by the foreign ways of the transplants.

Feraud

Bartender
Real Mainers had old tires on their lawn -- painted white, and turned inside out, with the edges cut into a serrated pattern like that of Jughead's hat. Thus decorated, the tire would be filled with soil and geraniums and pansies would be planted in it.
Wow, I haven't heard talk about this in many years! My parents had tire planters in our yard when I was growing up. They were painted white too and always filled with hostas. What memories..

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Carhops!? I haven't seen those for at least 30 years around here.

Still gottem' here! Well, two anyway. And of course once you're done eating your grease dipped cheese burger and chocolate malt, you can head over to the outdoor movie theater a few miles down. Sometimes I love my city!
Unfortunately, they want to knock down the theater... there are rumors that new owners will erect a Walmart over it's grave. *Shudder*

Years ago there used to be a place called Pottery Shack that was right across the street from Knott's Berry Farm on Beach and La Palma. I remember they used to have both black and white lawn jockeys. In fact they were displayed on the sidewalk outside of the store.

Still gottem' here! Well, two anyway. And of course once you're done eating your grease dipped cheese burger and chocolate malt, you can head over to the outdoor movie theater a few miles down. Sometimes I love my city!
Unfortunately, they want to knock down the theater... there are rumors that new owners will erect a Walmart over it's grave. *Shudder*

That's what happened to the Hiway 39 Drive In that was in Westminster, CA.

Then
highway39-drive-in.jpg

Now
(The Lowe's store is no longer there)
6314581.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy