Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I have a difficult time convincing my girlfriend about the importance of
wearing a helmet.
403C2FF7-1E59-4F7B-B407-13AFB68FEC87.jpeg

EngProf

Practically Family
In the army we would get cokes from a vending machine and everybody would put a quarter (or dollar, or whatever was agreed upon) in the pot. After the cokes had been drunk we'd look at the bottoms of the bottles. The city where the bottle had been made was embossed on the bottom and the pot went to whoever had the bottle made farthest away. This was at Ft. Knox, KY. One guy showed his bottle from San Francisco and reached for the money. I said "Not so fast" and showed mine. It had been made in Hilo, Hawaii.

My uncles and older cousins played a version of the Coke/city game except that instead of winning a "pot", the loser (closest city, I guess) had to pay for the Cokes for all.
I never played myself, but watched/heard them play. I think the game died out with that older generation.

As for the "jinx" saying, me and my cousins said it, but since we were never near where Cokes were sold at the time it was said, no one ever had to buy one.

We used Punch Buggy as an excuse to hit our siblings without consequences...
We called it "Slug Bug" and the targets weren't limited to siblings, but more often than not it was nothing more than a weak excuse to hit someone purely because you felt like it. "Oh yeah? Where's the Bug?" "Uhh, it was there a second ago..." And that usually resulted in the slugger having to accept a hit from the sluggee. Ahh, good times.

I guess we can add analog clocks to the list.
https://www.today.com/news/schools-britain-replacing-analog-clocks-because-kids-can-t-read-t128287

British schools are replacing analog clocks because kids can't read them during tests
Some schools in the U.K. are reportedly ditching traditional analog clocks because students aren't able to tell time during tests.

Schools in Britain are throwing their hands up over kids who can't tell time on traditional clocks.

Some U.K. schools are ditching analog clocks from test rooms because a generation of kids raised on digital clocks can't read them and are getting stressed about time running out during tests, London's Telegraph reports.

"The current generation aren’t as good at reading the traditional clock face as older generations," Malcolm Trobe, deputy general secretary of the U.K.'s Association of School and College Leaders, told The Telegraph.

"They are used to seeing a digital representation of time on their phone, on their computer. Nearly everything they’ve got is digital so youngsters are just exposed to time being given digitally everywhere."

Officials believed the clocks are causing undue stress because kids can't figure out how much time they have remaining to complete a test.

You don’t want them to put their hand up to ask how much time is left,'' Trobe said.

"Schools will inevitably be doing their best to make young children feel as relaxed as the can be. There is actually a big advantage in using digital clocks in exam rooms because it is much less easy to mistake a time on a digital clock when you are working against time."

It's not just British kids, either. American kids also have their struggles figuring out what those ticking hands on a clock mean.

An Arizona elementary school teacher wrote a blog post in 2014 about whether students should still be taught how to read analog clocks, arguing that they help visual learners but also noting that they are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Jimmy Kimmel had some fun with the issue on his late-night show Tuesday.

A group of kids on the street were each asked to tell the time by looking at an analog clock and the results weren't pretty. (Kudos to the one kid who got it right).

Move over, VCRs, rotary phones and answering machines. It might be time to make room for analog clocks.

Right off the top of my head, I can tick off eight analog clocks in this house, and three digital readouts that provide the time o' day, as well as oven temperature or microwave power levels, etc.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I keep an old Big Ben alarm clock on my desk because my fading eyes have trouble reading the too-small digital time display on my computer screen. Hands register "time of day" for me better than numbers. I've also got the old Texaco illuminated clock from our station on the kitchen wall, and my great-grandparents' chiming mantel clock on my mantel.

That said, digital clocks are not new, or even recent. This one dates to 1939. If I owned one I wouldn't throw it out of the house.

ycUfJXIpeEzDr0vhGs8idQ.jpg

I have my grandmother’s Seth Thomas and cuckoo clock none of which work.
View attachment 117438

Which says something about their value apart from their functionality. Somehow I have difficulty envisioning most people holding on to a nonfunctional digital clock. Whereas Grandma's mantle clock, which she acquired fully intending it to last well beyond her years? Whole different story.

There are countless analog clocks available from countless retailers in countless styles, some of which are quite attractive indeed. Very stylish, some of them. This is evidence enough for me to believe that people almost innately prefer to ascertain the time of day on a scale they can see.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Which says something about their value apart from their functionality. Somehow I have difficulty envisioning most people holding on to a nonfunctional digital clock. Whereas Grandma's mantle clock, which she acquired fully intending it to last well beyond her years? Whole different story.

There are countless analog clocks available from countless retailers in countless styles, some of which are quite attractive indeed. Very stylish, some of them. This is evidence enough for me that people almost innately prefer to ascertain the time of day on a scale they can see.

Tonyb, I do have one digital clock that belonged to my mom who passed away in
The radio works but does not keep time. I keep it for sentimental reasons. It looks like the one from the movie,"Back to the Future”.
I also have a glass eye cup, a glass dish that she used to squeeze the oranges to produce the juice.
When I'm gone all these things will
also be gone and no one will know
or care. But in the mean time they
help me to remember. :)

Last edited:
For a second, I was like, wait. He has his mothers glass eye? Then I re read it. :p
Tonyb, I do have one digital clock that belonged to my mom who passed away in
The radio works but does not keep time. I keep it for sentimental reasons. It looks like the one from the movie,"Back to the Future”.
I also have a glass eye cup, a glass dish that she used to squeeze the oranges to produce the juice.
When I'm gone all these things will
also be gone and no one will know
or care. But in the mean time they
help me to remember. :)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Growing up!
View attachment 117445

The struggle was real. :p

What a pity!

Having an ethnic grandmother (who had a brother that was a baker) we always had a wide variety of breads and rolls. Fresh, seeded rye, pumpernickle, buttercrust hard rolls, Kaiser rolls with salt or Kummel, salt horns, Vanočka, Babka...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner