Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

univibe88

One Too Many
Lefty said:
Do kids still get chicken pox? I think there's a vaccine now, but I know nothing about it. I had them when the great chicken pox epidemic of second grade hit.

For the most part no, kids don't get it. There is a vaccine. I have two small kids and they won't get it - they've had the shot. I guess in a couple of generations it will be eradicated.

Weston

A-List Customer
BegintheBeguine said:
Gosh, no, it's not rubber cement, that's alive and well and several new jars are living in the supply cupboard at work.
It's this:
090904_fg7.jpg

LePage's mucilage, with the rubber tip with a slit in it. When you turn it over and press down the right amount of glue comes out ready to spread. Better than a glue stick, better for some things than Elmer's. Not for every glue situation of course, but that's why Gorilla Glue was invented.

OK, I know I'm late to the party, but I have fond memories of mucilage from my days in the newspaper's art department. Still useful after all these years!

univibe88 said:
For the most part no, kids don't get it. There is a vaccine. I have two small kids and they won't get it - they've had the shot. I guess in a couple of generations it will be eradicated.
Chicken Pox vaccine? Wow that is great! I got it when I was about 13 or so. It was about the sickest I ever was until a bout with the flu some 12 years ago. I was delirious with fever at points and got the pox inside my throat so I also had the sorest throat I ever have had. Would not wish it on anyone, it was rough!

Weston

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
Chicken Pox vaccine? Wow that is great! I got it when I was about 13 or so. It was about the sickest I ever was until a bout with the flu some 12 years ago. I was delirious with fever at points and got the pox inside my throat so I also had the sorest throat I ever have had. Would not wish it on anyone, it was rough!

I had the incredible fortune to get chicken pox about 12 years old. I had precisely THREE chicken pox! Not bad or itchy, and my doctor confirmed I had to stay home from school several days while I enjoyed myself watching old movies and eating candy. :) I'd hate to deprive my children of that, but I hear its worse for many.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Lefty said:
Do kids still get chicken pox? I think there's a vaccine now, but I know nothing about it. I had them when the great chicken pox epidemic of second grade hit.
I had them, my cousins had them, nearly everyone I know had them (even recently). Varicella (small-pox) is not so dangerous when the patient is young, plus it gives you immunity.

To the topic - I can hardly thing if anything really vintage dissapeared during my short life. I haven´t seen the siphon bottles for ages, as well as the CO2-powered bottles for making whipped cream.

Moby

Familiar Face
This is a fairly recent loss. Royal Lunch Milk Crackers in the purple box. they were discontinued by Nabisco about 2 years ago. They were around for about 90 years and a favorite when I was a kid. We would crunch them up and put them in weak coffee for breakfast. The mixture was mushy and delicious! Anybody remember them?

donCarlos said:
I haven´t seen the siphon bottles for ages, as well as the CO2-powered bottles for making whipped cream.
Here in Southern California the Siphon Bottles were available at Galco's Old World Market in Highland Park. The Whipped cream thing probably at a restaurant supply house.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
donCarlos said:
I had them, my cousins had them, nearly everyone I know had them (even recently). Varicella (small-pox) is not so dangerous when the patient is young, plus it gives you immunity.

To the topic - I can hardly thing if anything really vintage dissapeared during my short life. I haven´t seen the siphon bottles for ages, as well as the CO2-powered bottles for making whipped cream.

Ummm yes you can still get the CO2 cartridges for the whipped cream ...
http://www.easywhip.com/soda-siphons.html
I have a couple friends that still use them...

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Moby said:
This is a fairly recent loss. Royal Lunch Milk Crackers in the purple box. they were discontinued by Nabisco about 2 years ago. They were around for about 90 years and a favorite when I was a kid. We would crunch them up and put them in weak coffee for breakfast. The mixture was mushy and delicious! Anybody remember them?

Never heard of them...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
John in Covina said:
Royal Lunch Milk Crackers in the purple box. they were discontinued by Nabisco about 2 years ago.
Could be a regional item.

Since Nabisco got folded into the Kraft empire, they've been discontinuing old favorites right and left. My own deeply-mourned loss is the original Uneeda Biscuit -- the best soda cracker ever baked. Thicker and more flavorful than a saltine, and very good for settling an upset stomach. I haven't been able to locate them in the stores here for about two years now, and no other cracker fits the need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24